Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Percussion Massagers

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Percussion Massagers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23, 01:34 PM
gene99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Percussion Massagers

So I bought one of these a while ago and started to use it after rides/workouts. While it felt good my legs felt like crap during hard rides/particularly climbing.

I'm curious to know whether other cyclists have used them -- how, and the type of reults they have gotten.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-23, 02:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
My legs almost always feel like crap for the first 45 - 90 minutes of a ride. I don't have a massager or a masseuse. So from that respect things are equal for us.
Old 08-09-23, 07:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
I’ve got one and it’s truly the dog’s bollocks for localized muscle pain. That said, most of my kinks are in the back muscles and I am hesitant to use it over bone and, especially, kidney.
Old 08-10-23, 10:38 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
I love mine. It relax my muscles and helps me fall asleep. It was a godsend when I threw out my back.
Old 08-10-23, 11:02 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Yes... Just got one a month ago. I bruised my periformis falling onto an arm rest on an airline flight. It has really helped...
Old 08-15-23, 11:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I've used percussion massagers for years, especially after a car hit me on a ride five years ago, breaking and dislocating my shoulder. Between that and chronic pain from hip and cervical spine arthritis I'd be tempted to skip most workouts without percussion massagers and other tricks.

One is a dual head with long handle, mostly for reaching my back. The other is a handgun shaped doodad with single head, and replaceable attachments -- foam, various shapes in hard plastic. The semi-hard foam knobbies are for beating up areas over bone. The hard plastic, for dense muscle, deep tissue massage. I even use the foam knobbies on my forehead and sinuses to relieve congestion in allergy season. Makes me sneeze about half a dozen times but clears things up.

For my quads and calves I mostly use a heavy marble rolling pin. It was a gift for my kitchen years ago from an antique shop and I've used it occasionally for baking (after washing it, natch). But I mostly use it before and after running and cycling. Nothing better. That cool marble feels great on sore muscles, and the weight of the marble does most of the work. Lighter weight rollers demand more effort to use, which is why I rarely use my foam rollers anymore.
Old 08-31-23, 07:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
here's another user - dual head, percussion massager, with long handle, mostly for my back

but I have used it on legs & even feet

got mine as a Christmas present over 20 years ago. had to replace the wire at some point, but the thing still works great