Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need advice for old Cannondale Super V500

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 08:09 PM
SouthFLSteve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I've got a Cannondale Super V500 full suspension bike that hasn't been ridden in more than 5 years but is in great condition due to not having ridden it much. I'm the original owner and would like to ride again so I'm thinking of fixing it up or buying some low cost hard tail. The tires are original, I figure best not to ride on 20 year old rubber so I'd replace those and the tubes. Aside from that the only other thing it needs is a rear shock. The bike has always bobbed too much for my liking and for the type of riding I do I don't really need rear suspension. Buying it was a mistake from the beginning but I didn't know any better at the time I bought it and was also obsessed with the full suspension. Amazon has a DNM rear air shock with lockout that is not that costly that I would consider buying. The only thing is the bike has a 150mm shock and the shortest one I can get is 165mm. I also don't know if the size would allow it to be mounted to the SuperV's frame. The reason I want the lockout is to get as close a feel to a hard tail as possible for climbing and when the rear suspension isn't necessary.

So what do you folks think...would this shock work out even though it is longer? Is it possible the mounting locations wouldn't accept the new shock? Would I be able to approximate the feel of a hard tail with it? If I were to sell it, what do you guys think I could get for it? I'll post a picture of the bike in a separate post since my post count is too low. Thanks for any advice given, it will be appreciated!
Old 07-15-18, 08:10 PM
SouthFLSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the shock from Amazon I mentioned.
Old 07-15-18, 08:13 PM
SouthFLSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And a picture of the bike
Old 07-16-18, 12:40 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Seriously, that thing is a money trap and really not a great design. Sell it for whatever you can get and buy a decent hardtail and you'll be a lot happier.
Old 07-16-18, 09:25 PM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
seriously, that thing is a money trap and really not a great design. Sell it for whatever you can get and buy a decent hardtail and you'll be a lot happier.
+1
Old 07-17-18, 05:59 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Look at that stem! Thinking around geometry has changed so much -- and for the better! -- since that bike was made.
Old 07-17-18, 06:41 PM
SouthFLSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, you guys are hating on this bike more than I expected. Don't really know why. I figured I'd only have to put in about $150 - 175 to get it up and running if I do the work myself (I would). Still would be interested in other opinions too.
Old 07-17-18, 07:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
No way I would drop money into that frame. If you want to work with what you got, buy a cheap old 26” HT frame and swap the parts over.

Frames like that are why So few people were riding FS back in 1997.
Old 07-18-18, 06:33 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLSteve
Wow, you guys are hating on this bike more than I expected. Don't really know why. I figured I'd only have to put in about $150 - 175 to get it up and running if I do the work myself (I would). Still would be interested in other opinions too.
I don't think we are hating. Sharing the truth about this bike and that it's not a good idea to invest any money into it.
Old 07-19-18, 09:44 PM
SouthFLSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate the honest responses guys. I guess I'm leaning towards trying to sell it now. Thanks again!

Last edited by SouthFLSteve; 07-19-18 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 11:48 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
My strong and terse reaction is also largely because the bike does not naturally meet your stated desires--if you didn't mind the current suspension performance and simply wanted fresh tires and a mechanically functional bike to have fun with, including on moderate trails, I'd happily give you advice in that direction. Modifying that bike to make it ride differently is a terrible investment because it'll be technically difficult, be expensive, and not work very well.
Old 07-21-18, 11:39 PM
SouthFLSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
My strong and terse reaction is also largely because the bike does not naturally meet your stated desires--if you didn't mind the current suspension performance and simply wanted fresh tires and a mechanically functional bike to have fun with, including on moderate trails, I'd happily give you advice in that direction. Modifying that bike to make it ride differently is a terrible investment because it'll be technically difficult, be expensive, and not work very well.
Honestly, if I could replace the shock with a metal rod and do without the rear suspension I'd try it. On other forums people suggested doing the same thing but others advised against it saying it wasn't designed to not have a shock and could cause the frame to fail. So I guess that may not be a good idea, although I really don't know. The rear shock is the only thing I don't like about the bike. It fits me well and when I was riding it I liked it.