Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 01:31 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13712 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 2,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Also.... per above. Is it just me, or does it hurt more to fall on ice compared to anything else?
It's not just you.
Old 03-15-21, 01:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,540 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'm in Phoenix, wearing shorts
Heh. I wore shorts last Thursday afternoon and all days Friday. So liberating. Now it's friggin' cold again.
Old 03-15-21, 01:37 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13712 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 2,505 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Dang! My cousin the veterinarian was riding her bike and was involved in a hit and run a few days ago down in MD. She suffered some sort of leg fracture that needs surgery and has a very sore shoulder which makes using crutches to get around difficult.

Fortunately, a witness got the vehicle's license plate number, and the cops got the vehicle operator. From what my aunt described, sounds like a right hook.

Some people suck. Big time.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 03-15-21, 01:51 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Dang! My cousin the veterinarian was riding her bike and was involved in a hit and run a few days ago down in MD. She suffered some sort of leg fracture that needs surgery and has a very sore shoulder which makes using crutches to get around difficult.

Fortunately, a witness got the vehicle's license plate number, and the cops got the vehicle operator. From what my aunt described, sounds like a right hook.

Glad it wasn’t worse, shouldn’t have happened at all.
Old 03-15-21, 01:58 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Part 1 strip and clean:

I was amazed that everything came off easily. Stem and seatpost were greased. Well set up and cared for bike.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 03-15-21, 02:03 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Seems like H&R is SOP down here.
Old 03-15-21, 02:20 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
NFW!
no studs?
Old 03-15-21, 02:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I think the idea is that if you get enough people vaccinated, when you couple those with the other people that are naturally immune to it, you get a large enough population that does not get sick from it that treating those who do will not be difficult. If you can get to a low enough level of hospitalizations, then the burden on the medical system is easily managed.

The virus is never going to simply go away. It will always be mutating and looking for a way to sow its seeds. Look at polio, for example. As good as the vaccines are, and the extent to which it has been administered, there are always flare ups in different parts of the world. The flu is another example. The flu shot/vaccine helps minimize the burden on the system to a manageable level. No matter what you do, there is always going to be someone who dies.
The trials were designed to determine whether the vaccines reduced the severity of disease, meaning hospitalizations and deaths. That's a lot easier to determine than reduced rate of infection, esp. in a disease with a substantial percentage of asymptomatic infection. It requires fewer subjects and I imagine they waited till there were sufficient deaths to determine, based on prior statistical modelling, whether the vaccine reduced them.

The data on reduced infection rate is, I think, coming from post-licensing follow up, because that's pretty easy - people show up for a test, you ask whether they've been vaccinated and which one. Count the percentage of vaccinees who test positive versus the percentage of the unvaccinated population. That's one way, but there are others and I'm just spitballing here. One thing I read was that in Israel, which has done a bang up job on vaccinating, the infection rate and the case rate both plummeted once the vaccinations started. You don't need to vaccinate everyone, you just there to be enough immune people in the population that most of the contacts of infected people are not susceptible. IF the vaccines really do reduce the rate of transmission to below 1 new infection per infected person, then over time the disease goes away.

We did actually eradicate Smallpox, which doesn't evolve very fast. Polio, I think we were on the way to eradicating it, but antivaxxers started getting a foothold, and then parents who are worried don't vaccinate their children, and the next thing you know, there are enough susceptible people in the population for the disease to propagate.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-15-21, 03:01 PM
MoAlpha
• —

The virus is never going to simply go away. It will always be mutating and looking for a way to sow its seeds. Look at polio, for example. As good as the vaccines are, and the extent to which it has been administered, there are always flare ups in different parts of the world. The flu is another example. The flu shot/vaccine helps minimize the burden on the system to a manageable level. No matter what you do, there is always going to be someone who dies.
Mutations happen during the replication cycle and the fewer people are infected the fewer replication cycles there are.

Polio vaccine is virtually 100% effective. Those outbreaks are in unvaccinated people.

Originally Posted by genejockey
The trials were designed to determine whether the vaccines reduced the severity of disease, meaning hospitalizations and deaths. That's a lot easier to determine than reduced rate of infection, esp. in a disease with a substantial percentage of asymptomatic infection. It requires fewer subjects and I imagine they waited till there were sufficient deaths to determine, based on prior statistical modelling, whether the vaccine reduced them.

The data on reduced infection rate is, I think, coming from post-licensing follow up, because that's pretty easy - people show up for a test, you ask whether they've been vaccinated and which one. Count the percentage of vaccinees who test positive versus the percentage of the unvaccinated population. That's one way, but there are others and I'm just spitballing here. One thing I read was that in Israel, which has done a bang up job on vaccinating, the infection rate and the case rate both plummeted once the vaccinations started. You don't need to vaccinate everyone, you just there to be enough immune people in the population that most of the contacts of infected people are not susceptible. IF the vaccines really do reduce the rate of transmission to below 1 new infection per infected person, then over time the disease goes away.
Yes. The Phase 3 trials have 10s of thousands of participants and there is no way of monitoring them long-term for infection, especially since most infections in them will, in fact, be asymptomatic.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 03-15-21 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-15-21, 03:03 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
Part 1 strip and clean:

I was amazed that everything came off easily. Stem and seatpost were greased. Well set up and cared for bike.
Aww. Fork looks bent, however.

But, I'd be tempted to attempt bending it back and riding it forever myself.
Old 03-15-21, 03:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Good news that the apocalypses is not upon us - businesses requiring masks and sticking their finger up at the governor: Woman arrested at Texas bank after bucking business mask mandate: 'What are you going to do, arrest me?' (msn.com)

Respect for BoA just went up a notch.
Old 03-15-21, 03:11 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,756 Times in 2,766 Posts
No Shirt, No Shoes, No Mask, No Service.

I'm fine with that, especially if it keeps me from standing near moronic idiots like that. She should find a new bank.
Old 03-15-21, 03:12 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mutations happen during the replication cycle and the fewer people are infected the fewer replication cycles there are.

Polio vaccine is virtually 100% effective. Those outbreaks are in unvaccinated people.

Yes. The Phase 3 trials have 10s of thousands of participants and there is no way of monitoring them long-term for infection, especially since most infections in them will, in fact, be asymptomatic.
I'm aware of that. But, even with widespread vaccinations, there will still be people who don't get vaccinated and infections can pop back up from time to time.

I'm not a doc or scientist. Just going off of what I've read through my involvement in Rotary and its involvement in polio eradication.
Old 03-15-21, 03:13 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by LAJ
No Shirt, No Shoes, No Mask, No Service.

I'm fine with that, especially if it keeps me from standing near moronic idiots like that. She should find a new bank.
Better yet, she should put her money in her mattress.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-15-21, 03:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I'm aware of that. But, even with widespread vaccinations, there will still be people who don't get vaccinated and infections can pop back up from time to time.

I'm not a doc or scientist. Just going off of what I've read through my involvement in Rotary and its involvement in polio eradication.
Sorry, I must have misunderstood your post.
Old 03-15-21, 03:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Good news that the apocalypses is not upon us - businesses requiring masks and sticking their finger up at the governor: Woman arrested at Texas bank after bucking business mask mandate: 'What are you going to do, arrest me?' (msn.com)

Oh, Karen.
Old 03-15-21, 03:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts

Worth noting, however, that Smallpox HAS gone away, because once it was eliminated in the developed world, WHO took sort of a 'smoke jumper' approach to eradication, where they'd descend on any outbreaks and vaccinate everyone around. My old boss had to repeatedly vaccinate himself to prove it was safe. If smallpox ever returned, he'd be the last man standing!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-15-21, 03:32 PM
Mojo31
-------

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your post.
No apology needed. I think we are on the same page.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-15-21, 03:34 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey
Worth noting, however, that Smallpox HAS gone away, because once it was eliminated in the developed world, WHO took sort of a 'smoke jumper' approach to eradication, where they'd descend on any outbreaks and vaccinate everyone around. My old boss had to repeatedly vaccinate himself to prove it was safe. If smallpox ever returned, he'd be the last man standing!
I recall you saying that about your boss. I've been wondering if getting three or four Covid vaccines would be a bad or good thing. If good, give me the ones other people refuse!
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-15-21, 03:43 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,035 Times in 4,473 Posts

It's one thing when these entitled fools argue with an employee or business owner but when a cop shows up and tells them to leave and they argue with the cop, that's another level of stupid. At that point,, you have to know you can't win. It seems that that woman has never been stood up to before.
Old 03-15-21, 03:53 PM
Mojo31
-------

There is a building going up next to mine. OSHA regs require fall protection if working more than 6 feet off the ground with open sides. Scaffolding also has to meet specific requirements. Looked out the window and saw this. Dude is at least 12' up. SMH

Old 03-15-21, 03:55 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Aww. Fork looks bent, however.

But, I'd be tempted to attempt bending it back and riding it forever myself.
Hmmm. Maybe the angle of the photo? They look ok in the first shot. Also had them out to repack the headset. I didn't notice anything. I'll recheck tomorrow.
Old 03-15-21, 04:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,035 Times in 4,473 Posts
Hmmm. Maybe the angle of the photo? They look ok in the first shot. Also had them out to repack the headset. I didn't notice anything. I'll recheck tomorrow.
I think it was a joke.
Old 03-15-21, 04:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

My brother just told me he tested positive 9 days out from his first dose of one of the first-shot vaccines. He seems okay, but is in a terrible work situation which this is going to blow sky high. ****.
Old 03-15-21, 04:13 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Ritchey rides like butter. Reach and stem height felt okay, seat has to be lowered and shifted forward a touch. Found myself skidding forward, and when I laid down the hammer for a second I couldn’t apply power at the bottom of the stroke. Hence seat is to high.

Only thing that bothers me about lifting the mask mandate at these states, is, gunna be a huge problem when we deal with passengers from those states. Up until this point, once a day we would have someone refuse to wear a mask or just be an a hole about it. I imagine it’s going to get a lot worse.
Likes For bampilot06:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.