Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Full Frame Bag?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Full Frame Bag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 04:59 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Full Frame Bag?

I have always wondered why bicycle bag inventors seemed to ignore that giant triangular space below the crossbar and above the bottom bracket. Now, I am seeing lots of frame bags that turn this area into storage space. Like this one...

The one problem I see with this type of bag is that it eliminates the space for my two water bottle carriers. If there was a bag like this with a good, convenient spot for a couple of bottles, I'd buy one in a second.

Can anybody who uses a full frame bag tell me how you carry your water bottles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BikeWFramebag.jpg (51.5 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Papa Tom; 03-04-16 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 05:34 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The bags are primarily being marketed towards bikepacking, so I suspect the vast majority use hydration packs.
You could always use saddle mounted bottle launchers if you only wanted the frame bag for commuting. Or simply do without water (short distance commuting).
Old 03-04-16, 05:42 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Handlebar buckets. Fit two nalgene bottles and are partially insulated

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 03-04-16 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 07:53 PM
Papa Tom

I guess I should have mentioned that I use my commuting bike for short touring, as well. On my commute, I barely get through half a bottle, but on tours, I need to start with at least two full.

On my handlebars, I've got a speaker and mp3 player, a headlight, and shifters that take a lot of space, so handlebar buckets are probably out of the question. And I would still need my rear panniers for touring, so the saddle launchers wouldn't fit too well.

I guess I am hoping someone will come up with a frame bag that incorporates at least one bottle holder.
Old 03-04-16, 08:27 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
So long as you don't need to drink while under way, how about using your fork?

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/71...ttle-cage.html
Old 03-04-16, 09:34 PM
JAG410

Bikes: A few ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Relevate Designs Tangle bags often leave room for water bottles. My fatbike commuter has a full frame bag and just put a water bottle in the bag. For things that don't close well, like my Oxo coffee mug, a Relevate Feed Bag is used as a handlebar bottle holder.
Old 03-04-16, 10:46 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Just push the bag out of the way, over the water bottle.
Old 03-05-16, 12:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I repurposed my old Lowepro Off Trail camera waist bag as a handlebar bag. The lens pouches hold water bottles or thermoses just fine. So if I used a frame bag I'd still have easy access to water bottles. But mostly I use the lens pouches to hold my cell phone, compact camera, glasses or sunglasses, anything I need quick access to.

If I was bikepacking I'd consider a frame bag, but for my casual rides up to 30 miles or so I'd be more concerned about the frame bag acting as a sail. My favorite rural ride route gets quite a bit of wind and even my trunk bag or small panniers can catch some wind and drag things down.
Old 03-05-16, 07:55 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by canklecat
...If I was bikepacking I'd consider a frame bag, but for my casual rides up to 30 miles or so I'd be more concerned about the frame bag acting as a sail. ....
Wow! I didn't think of that. In fact, I always wondered why there were no full frame storage compartments made of metal or some other solid material. I suppose that would create even more of a challenge in the wind. Canklecat, you talked me out of it!
Old 03-05-16, 02:41 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I use a partial frame bag, and the windage is not an issue. It's low and in the middle of the bike. Pretty much any bag will create windage, as will your body. Nothing special about the windage from a frame bag over any other bag.
Old 03-05-16, 03:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I Bought a CX race level cyclocross bike frame and fork in the 80's . it had no bottle mounts

so I put an on the handlebars Bottle cage mount on it. My bike in the 50's I had a bar mount for 2.

Maybe you can lease the sides of the bag to advertizers?

Someone made a wooden one You open it to find a Bar inside .

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-05-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-05-16, 06:37 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I use a partial frame bag, and the windage is not an issue. It's low and in the middle of the bike. Pretty much any bag will create windage, as will your body. Nothing special about the windage from a frame bag over any other bag.
Cross winds was the first thing I thought of. A trunk bag, your body, etc. I think would be a lot less of a problem than filling in that entire triangle basically completely catching all of the cross wind.
Old 03-05-16, 07:07 PM
Papa Tom

I think what captivated me about a full frame storage compartment all along was the way it seems to turn the bicycle into a "legitimate" transportation vehicle. Trunk bags and panniers are cool (I've got these already), but they fit more into the "isn't that cute" category than the "Whoa! That's functional" category.

The reason my ultimate full-frame "bag" would be made of metal and fitted with a lock is that I'd like to be able to pull up to a place on my bike, lock it, and go inside without worrying about who is going to have the cojones to pull off the rack bag while I am inside. Just like when I drive my car somewhere. I lock the door and I am done.

Anyway, I think I'm over it now.
Old 03-05-16, 09:03 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Racktop bags and panniers aren't functional????
Old 03-05-16, 10:52 PM
Plimogz
Global Warming Witness

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Papa Tom A metal compartment within the main triangle could have much of the material in the sides cnc'ed out for weight reduction and reduction in wind profile.

And although the idea is not without some charm, it does seem like a good way to end up with a 70-pound tank of a bike if you're not careful.
Old 03-06-16, 08:07 AM
Papa Tom

What does "cnc'd" mean?
Old 03-06-16, 08:16 AM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think they mean machined out.
Old 03-06-16, 08:45 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
Racktop bags and panniers aren't functional????
Exactly my question. I would not want to transfer a couple pannier loads of stuff into the space between my knees. I like it out of the way and with a low center of gravity.
Old 03-06-16, 09:57 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Exactly my question. I would not want to transfer a couple pannier loads of stuff into the space between my knees. I like it out of the way and with a low center of gravity.
First of all, frame bags aren't all that wide or your legs would be rubbing on them, and second, there is no way you could fit a couple panniers worth of gear in one. They just aren't that large. Do a little research for volume comparisons, and you'll find a single Ortlieb pannier holds about the same or more, depending on the frame size. I don't notice a significant difference in handling due to a slightly higher center of gravity. Also, wind from the side does not affect handling at all, and the front windage is greatly reduced compared to a pannier. Having the side windage in the middle of the bike is actually advantageous with respect to handling. Also, a frame bag is so well strapped to the bike that it doesn't move around at all vs. a pannier, which also improves handling.

It would help if some of the folks commenting on frame bags actually tried them before providing their opinions. I'm not advocating the use of frame bags over panniers or vice versa (I use both), but something more than pure speculation would be nice. Not meant as a criticism, but it seems like some people throw their opinion out there to see if someone takes issue with it, rather than asking a question with the goal of getting more information.
Old 03-06-16, 10:48 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
So long as you don't need to drink while under way, how about using your fork?

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/71...ttle-cage.html

Actually, I find these are are easier to grab from while under way than triangle cages.
Old 03-06-16, 11:44 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First of all, frame bags aren't all that wide or your legs would be rubbing on them, and second, there is no way you could fit a couple panniers worth of gear in one. They just aren't that large. Do a little research for volume comparisons, and you'll find a single Ortlieb pannier holds about the same or more, depending on the frame size. I don't notice a significant difference in handling due to a slightly higher center of gravity. Also, wind from the side does not affect handling at all, and the front windage is greatly reduced compared to a pannier. Having the side windage in the middle of the bike is actually advantageous with respect to handling. Also, a frame bag is so well strapped to the bike that it doesn't move around at all vs. a pannier, which also improves handling.

It would help if some of the folks commenting on frame bags actually tried them before providing their opinions. I'm not advocating the use of frame bags over panniers or vice versa (I use both), but something more than pure speculation would be nice. Not meant as a criticism, but it seems like some people throw their opinion out there to see if someone takes issue with it, rather than asking a question with the goal of getting more information.
Get a grip. I was just making the point that even if it did fit I wouldn't go there. I have a frame bag too. I quit using it and decided it was one of the more useless things I've purchased.
Old 03-06-16, 03:14 PM
Papa Tom

I would not use it as my only carrier for touring. I was really just considering one for my daily commute. The idea was to leave my trunk bag/pannier set at home until I needed them for a long trip. On tour, it would probably just carry spare tubes, tools, and maybe a few donuts (for as long as THEY last!). There would never be a problem with the bag chafing my thighs or scraping my ankles.
Old 03-06-16, 03:46 PM
wphamilton

I have never noticed any effect from side wind on the frame bag, but I think it's because it's not rigidly attached so there is lower impulse to the top tube from side pressure. Plus, there isn't all that much extra side area compared to carrying the same stuff in a bag on your back, or on the rack.

I've considered building a rigid frame compartment thinking it might be more convenient, look better, maybe hold more. But when I go to mock it up I don't really see any of those advantages so I've abandoned the idea.
Old 03-06-16, 04:01 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Walter S
Get a grip. I was just making the point that even if it did fit I wouldn't go there. I have a frame bag too. I quit using it and decided it was one of the more useless things I've purchased.
I don't like a rack on my road bike, and a backpack is awkward if you ride with lower back angles, so I hang a bag from the top tube. I can't see using the frame bag an a bike where I do have a rack, unless I was carting a lot of stuff on the commute and needed both.

I don't know why frame bags aren't more popular on road bikes though. In the couple of years that I've used one I've seen literally no one else commuting with a frame bag. Probably there are some misconceptions about them, like acting like sails, making you ride bow-legged and so on.
Old 03-06-16, 04:06 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I don't like a rack on my road bike, and a backpack is awkward if you ride with lower back angles, so I hang a bag from the top tube. I can't see using the frame bag an a bike where I do have a rack, unless I was carting a lot of stuff on the commute and needed both.

I don't know why frame bags aren't more popular on road bikes though. In the couple of years that I've used one I've seen literally no one else commuting with a frame bag. Probably there are some misconceptions about them, like acting like sails, making you ride bow-legged and so on.
Yeah, my comment dismissing frame bags applies to my specific setup. I can especially see a frame bag making sense when you don't already have racks etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.