Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

False sense of security?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

False sense of security?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 07:16 PM
Jklotz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
False sense of security?

I like to do a few quick group rides every week. I enjoy them, plus there's no way I'd push myself that hard solo, so there is the intensity workout I wouldn't otherwise get. I'm grateful we have a good group of guys here to do that with and, like I said, I enjoy them. Reminds me of when I raced in my younger days. But here's the thing; riding solo, I tend to be really cautious of intersections and traffic approaching from side streets. I know, it sucks bombing down a hill and have to brake and loose all that momentum just in case there is a car pulling out around the bend, but it beats getting hit. Thing is, when we do those group rides, the guys in front pushing the pace regularly blow through stop signs and bomb hills with zero regard to what could be pulling out around the corner. But because there are 20 or so of us, and knowing that if I brake, there is a good possibility I'll get dropped on the next climb, I just go with it. I guess I've gotten lulled into thinking it's safe because so many of us. I'd never ride like that solo.

They've been doing it a long time, and I'm not aware of anybody actually being hit by a car. Just curious, do you guys feel like riding in a group lulls you into a false sense of security?
Old 09-05-23, 07:33 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
That's one reason I rarely do big group rides. Your group may never get hit by a car (knock on wood), but I'll guarantee you are pissing off drivers. Whether you care about that or not is another question (I do, some don't).
Old 09-05-23, 07:35 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,057 Times in 4,483 Posts
No, if they're doing stupid stuff there is no sense of security. Is it a club or just a random group?

I've been riding with 1 club for 34 years and a second club for 4 years. Unsafe riding is discouraged but, of course some still blow stops and even red lights.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-05-23, 07:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Riding in a group absolutely provides a false sense of security. There have been numerous instances of entire groups of cyclists being run down by an errant motorist. As for blowing through stop signs, if you trust the leaders to use good discretion at intersections, then it’s up to you whether you want to follow. I have ridden with various groups who I did trust with my life, but I had ridden 100s of hours with them and knew they would use good judgment. If your group is more driven by testosterone and out-doing one another than using good judgement, then I would pass or hang back and risk getting dropped. Most, not all, of the groups I rode with had a no-drop policy. The no-droppers I had confidence in. The drop group always made me a bit ill at ease, and I would do my own evaluation at intersections and hills.

Your question and hesitancy is well founded.

Old 09-05-23, 08:07 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Safest thing to do is follow what the group is doing, even if its "boneheaded." If youre not comfortable doing that, maybe don't ride with them. Sounds like you know this, but posting for others.

There are group rides around here that are similar, and the extent to how aggressive people ride is a big point of contention with people trying to reign it in. Never ending battle, it is what it is, the level of "aggression" tolerated varies drastically from ride to ride. Some cyclists would be shocked at how one can ride and still be reasonably safe. Those blind corners they are blasting through probably aren't as blind as they seem etc.
Old 09-05-23, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,998 Times in 2,668 Posts
The safest thing to do is not doing boneheaded stuff because a group is doing it. Ride safely and if you think the group is being dangerous let someone know and leave and do your own ride.

The best thing to do in a group is use safe riding practices on a bike you know how to handle that is also well maintained and kept. Otherwise just avoid the groups and ride on your lonesome.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-05-23, 10:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Safest thing to do is follow what the group is doing, even if its "boneheaded." If youre not comfortable doing that, maybe don't ride with them. Sounds like you know this, but posting for others.

There are group rides around here that are similar, and the extent to how aggressive people ride is a big point of contention with people trying to reign it in. Never ending battle, it is what it is, the level of "aggression" tolerated varies drastically from ride to ride. Some cyclists would be shocked at how one can ride and still be reasonably safe. Those blind corners they are blasting through probably aren't as blind as they seem etc.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-05-23, 10:19 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Group riders have a gang like mentality. They are more prone to do bone headed things when they are in a larger group.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 09-05-23, 11:30 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Not all groups are the same.

I have indeed unfortunately seen packs of riders blow through stop signs and even signals with impunity, yelling "clear!" as they zoom through. :\

The weekly group I lead yields appropriately at intersections, waits at red signals, and we discourage calling "clear" on the off chance... it ain't.

If we have a steep climb or screaming descent, we give the location of a regroup point, let everyone ride their own pace, and hope the fastest climber or speediest descender remembers what we said. On flat terrain, we stay together as a happy if slightly dysfunctional group.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-05-23, 11:55 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
That's one reason I rarely do big group rides. Your group may never get hit by a car (knock on wood), but I'll guarantee you are pissing off drivers. Whether you care about that or not is another question (I do, some don't).
Several times while driving I've come upon a group ride on a busy highway where guys are weaving into the traffic lane (sometimes riding 2 abreast and talking) and I'm thinking that if I'm a bit miffed at what appears to be nonchalant, brazen behavior and I'm a cyclist I can only imagine what other, more impatient motorists are thinking and how they may be reacting. Or not reacting.

Last edited by Outrider1; 09-06-23 at 08:37 PM.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 09-06-23, 04:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
If automobile drivers ignored traffic laws like some cycling groups do, we'd be outraged ... and we often are, when even a single driver drives like so many pacelines ride. If a line of 20 cars blew through a red light, expecting approaching traffic to just stop and wait, we come here and rant endlessly.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-06-23, 05:25 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
This is what gives us spandex wearers a bad name with motorists.

Motorists can and do break traffic rules all the time - but a group of cyclists taking up too much space, rolling thru stop lights... makes their heads explode. A driver blasting down the freeway at 90+, that can kill everyone around him - no big deal. A bike rolling thru an intersection - the end of the world.

Any delay, even if for a second, in the forward progress of a motorist - head explode.

Delaware allows for cyclists to roll thru stop signs - but most drivers don't know this, and they flip out.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 09-06-23, 07:30 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
There is a science and an art to doing this type of ride. Knowing the riders and the route are key. In a new ride, picking out the squirrels and dunces is step one, then on long blind descends, leave yourself an out, same with stop signs, I like to be a few slots back or in a close second group. Not biting too much off helps, tired mistakes happen, so in short no sense of security, just accepting the risk.
Old 09-06-23, 09:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Maelochs
If automobile drivers ignored traffic laws like some cycling groups do, we'd be outraged ... and we often are, when even a single driver drives like so many pacelines ride. If a line of 20 cars blew through a red light, expecting approaching traffic to just stop and wait, we come here and rant endlessly.
Welcome to Tijuana

Old 09-06-23, 09:07 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Jughed
This is what gives us spandex wearers a bad name with motorists.

Motorists can and do break traffic rules all the time - but a group of cyclists taking up too much space, rolling thru stop lights... makes their heads explode. A driver blasting down the freeway at 90+, that can kill everyone around him - no big deal. A bike rolling thru an intersection - the end of the world.

Any delay, even if for a second, in the forward progress of a motorist - head explode.

Delaware allows for cyclists to roll thru stop signs - but most drivers don't know this, and they flip out.
In Wa state, it is legal for cyclists to roll stop signs (not lights). About 2 months ago was cruising through a park that has 6 stop signs on the arterial going through it. I went through 2 (always slowing a bit to show “I care”) when a motorist pulls along side me and starts ranting about law breaking cyclists. His ignorance of the law is understandable and there was no way I could educate him while he was screaming. It was what it was.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-06-23, 09:17 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Pancake flat roads, 8' tall corn, and zero shoulder made for exciting times back when I rode with a fast group in Indiana. The group behavior on right turns was to rely on any traffic from the left to give us 8". Eventually I stopped riding with them. As far as I know, nobody was ever hit, but I'm sure there were some scary moments.
Old 09-06-23, 09:44 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
I do group rides for the camaraderie and the VO2max intervals. It's a "safe" group: small and private, mostly old, mostly sensible when stationary, and most with a racing background and good bike handling skills. Despite that, it's far more dangerous than riding solo. The only thing I feel slightly better about is a physical fight with a motorist, something I've gotten the worse of in the past. However, I assume everyone has a gun now anyway so that part might even be an added risk.
Old 09-06-23, 10:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
There is no way I would ride with that group.

Honestly, I think riding in a large group on the road is more dangerous than a small group or solo. And that group sounds particularly dangerous.
Old 09-06-23, 10:13 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
https://media.giphy.com/media/OHMkK8...giphy.gif&ct=g
Likes For jadmt:
Old 09-06-23, 10:15 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Safest thing to do is follow what the group is doing, even if its "boneheaded."
Is this a cycling specific statement, or is this a general life philosophy?

Last edited by tomato coupe; 09-06-23 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-06-23, 10:20 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I believe for about 50% it is the later.....
Old 09-06-23, 10:40 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Regardless of what cyclists do or how they behave, some percentage of motorists will always be outraged by our mere presence on what they perceive to be "their" roadways. It doesn't matter if you're riding solo or in a group, stopping at stop signs or "blowing them".

For the OP - if the group you're riding with is riding dangerously, then I'd suggest finding another group. There are many large group rides in my area with varying levels of adherence to traffic safety. I avoid the groups that ride dangerously.
Old 09-06-23, 11:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Wait! I know this one!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-06-23, 11:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Groups differ. Some act like a law unto themselves, whereas others follow the spirit if not the letter of the law. I would not ride with a group that blew through stop LIGHTS, but I would (and have) with a group that may roll stop signs if it's safe to do so, like a 4-way stop with long sight lines and no other traffic. The idea that it's safest to do what the group does is arguably correct - if you're in a big, fast-moving group ride that's going to blow through a stop sign, and you stop, you're likely to cause, and be part of a pileup. So I don't ride in groups that do that stupid ****.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-06-23, 12:49 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
My parents always told me when I was a kid "If your friends jumped off a cliff, would you?"
I've been on group rides where the "leaders" blow through red lights, and I've been caught when the light changes before the entire group gets through the green. I just yell "STOPPING!" and do my best to not cause anyone to pile into me. If I get left behind while the rest ride on oblivious to the dangers, so be it. I've been called a few nasty names for doing that, but I don't care. I've been hit before, (not running a light or stop sign) and know that it hurts.
At stop signs, the group usually slows, and everyone checks for cross traffic before proceeding, yelling "CLEAR!" if it's okay to proceed. That gets repeated by every 3rd or 4th rider in line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.