Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting a good night's sleep - particularly on "rest" days....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 11:16 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts

I can't be the only one in the 50+ crowd who has trouble getting a good night's sleep.

Exercise helps a lot. If I ride 40-100 miles on a given day, I'm probably going to sleep pretty well. In fact, improved sleep is one of the many great benefits I get from cycling.

But on rest days, getting a good night's sleep is a challenge. Assuming I get to sleep, staying asleep through the night is not easy.

I'm not totally sedentary on my rest days. I walk a lot and I probably ride a few miles commuting to work or doing errands. but it's not enough to make me physically tired

Interested to hear how others deal with this challenge.

(To anticiapte the advice that I haven't requested, no, I don't have sleep apnea, yes I sometimes take melatonin, but it isn't a panacea for me.)
Old 08-29-23, 11:24 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
5 mg of melatonin one hour before I sleep.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 08-29-23, 12:49 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
It’s something I struggle with too. Like you, days when I get enough of a ride in usually aren’t a problem, but otherwise it can be a challenge for me to get a good night’s sleep. I also find melatonin doesn’t reliably work for me; it will work if I haven’t taken any for about a month, but if I take it nightly it seems to have no effect on my ability to sleep so I generally don’t bother with it any more.

A couple of things that are helping: I’ve taken a complete break from alcohol for a time and I’m sleeping a bit better as a result. I also stop consuming liquids of any sort rather early (say by 7:00 PM) to help reduce the need to get up in the middle of the night. I try to avoid anything that gets me worked up in the evening, so I avoid news, reading anything that is likely to get me agitated or anything like that.

Even though it’s not a source of serious exercise, I find going for a night time walk can help and I usually take the dog out for a couple of km before settling in.

None of these things guarantee I get a good night’s sleep, but they seem to help.
Likes For winston63:
Old 08-29-23, 12:57 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
(59 years old) hard cycling days don't guarantee me a good night's sleep. Sometimes my body is working too hard to recover after a big ride to sleep well (increased resting heart rate). I have had maybe one decent night's sleep (5+ hours uninterrupted) in the last year.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 08-29-23, 01:04 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 266 Posts
On top of Winston63's advice, I avoid sweets or dark chocolate desserts past 7.
If the sugar doesn't affect me, the slight bit of caffeine in the chocolate will.
They made THC gummies legal in my state, so a 5mg one about an hour before bedtime helps.
About 500mg of magnesium relaxes my legs, too, and helps me avoid calf cramps.
Some simple stretching well before bed helps me, as well.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 08-29-23, 01:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
Lots of riding helps. So does getting off the computer, phone or TV and reading a book for a hour before bedtime. I've tried CBD and it seems to help for times I might have anxiety. But no miracle, and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) seems to work just as well for those times. And is way less expensive. Melatonin in doses higher than 3 mg makes me jittery before bed though I do fall asleep fast. But with those high doses, I also seem to wake up at 2:00AM on the dot and can't fall back asleep without at least an hour of tossing and turning.

Out of it all, the long rides and reading seems to help the most. I suppose working out in a gym would work just as well as the riding. But I have trouble getting interested in going to the gym more so than I have getting on my bike. Which sometimes I have to force myself to force myself to get on the bike. But I've never regretted it once I start to pedal.

I guess it's a old age thing. I use to always fall asleep quickly and soundly up until about my late 50's.
Old 08-29-23, 01:11 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Iride01
Melatonin in doses higher than 3 mg makes me jittery before bed though I do fall asleep fast. But with those high doses, I also seem to wake up at 2:00AM on the dot and can't fall back asleep without at least an hour of tossing and turning.
This is also my experience frequently. Melatonin helps me fall asleep, but then I wake up after a couple of hours and have trouble getting back to sleep.

BTW, having a dark room helps, and when I travel I bring along eye shades.

But getting a reliable 6-7 hours of sleep is hard.
Old 08-29-23, 01:14 PM
MinnMan

Also, this is not the main issue, but getting up to pee is one of the issues. Like others, I limit fluid intake in the evening and I always visit the commode just before turning in.

A joke that a friend told:

Q: When did you realize that you were old?
A: When "Pulling an all nighter" went from staying awake all night to staying out of the bathroom all night"
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-29-23, 01:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by MinnMan
BTW, having a dark room helps, and when I travel I bring along eye shades.

But getting a reliable 6-7 hours of sleep is hard.
I forgot about that. When both me and my wife started having issues sleeping, we got rid of or covered up every little LED on the electronics, power strips or anything that had a light in the bedroom. And alarm clocks today are crazy bright with their displays. Even those that have a dimmer. They are so bright they cast a shadow across the room if something is in front of them. We put a hat over our alarm clock now.

In the morning when I begin to stir, I'll flip the end of the pillow case over my eyes (I'm a side sleeper). That helps with the morning light that makes it through the curtains and the bathroom skylight. I've been thinking about getting black out mask for sleeping.
Old 08-29-23, 05:39 PM
fat biker

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
A Book I would like to suggest to all.
The Promise of Sleep by William C. Dement, Md, Phd

Dr. Dement was a pioneer in sleep science.
I was fascinated by the book, with all of the ground that it covered. Check your local library, mine has it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_C._Dement#

fat biker
Old 08-29-23, 07:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
All of the above: melatonin, diphenhydramine (Benadryl), CBD. Also valerian root, ashwaganda, some other herbs.

Melatonin is naturally produced in the human body but tends to be less effective with aging. Combing a quick release and time release capsule might help last through the night.

And, as mentioned, be careful to avoid caffeine and alcohol late in the day.

Regarding physical activity, I've never been able to predict when a walk, run or bike ride will wake me up for hours or make me sleepy. There's no pattern I can tell.

There's a theory that a habit of consistent exposure to the sun at certain times of day can help regulate the body and sleep cycle in ways our hypothetical ancient forebears supposedly did. But that can be difficult for folks with a busy life, work, family, etc. I try to get out for at least a walk in the morning, sometimes a jog or bike ride if my body is up to it. Chronic pain from arthritis and multiple injuries make me a slow starter and I often can't loosen up enough until late in the day to be able to exercise with relatively little pain. Sometimes after a nighttime bike ride or run I'm ready to fall asleep immediately; other times I'll be awake until dawn.

Depends on other stressors too. My neighborhood has declined badly the past two or three years, with neighbors arguing loudly, more violent crime, random gunfire, sirens, etc. Makes it difficult to relax and sleep. When I lived in a rural area with few neighbors, no such issues.
Old 08-30-23, 08:13 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
for anyone taking CBD to help with sleep or anxiety be careful. I found out the hard way that it blocks the uptake of statins. Check with your doctor.
Old 09-01-23, 05:36 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I can't be the only one in the 50+ crowd who has trouble getting a good night's sleep.

Exercise helps a lot. If I ride 40-100 miles on a given day, I'm probably going to sleep pretty well. In fact, improved sleep is one of the many great benefits I get from cycling.

But on rest days, getting a good night's sleep is a challenge. Assuming I get to sleep, staying asleep through the night is not easy.

I'm not totally sedentary on my rest days. I walk a lot and I probably ride a few miles commuting to work or doing errands. but it's not enough to make me physically tired

Interested to hear how others deal with this challenge.

(To anticiapte the advice that I haven't requested, no, I don't have sleep apnea, yes I sometimes take melatonin, but it isn't a panacea for me.)
I've always had sleep issues, just too much going on in my mind... Meditation has helped, but some evenings even meditation finds me rebounding back to very active mind.
Melatonin is about a 35-40% solution - so not great.

One thing does work 95%+
Costco Sleep Aid
I was alerted to this by a climbing partner back in 2018, we were doing trek to Everest and then planning an ascent of 'Island Peak' - a 20K footer near Everest.
Once over 15,000 ft, sleep, of any kind is a difficult, unsettled and short term thing. I was desperate - friend gave me a sleep aid tab (and small supply to get me thru the coming 2 weeks). Told me to take 1/2 tab. WORKED a Charm ! Was able to get 5 1/2 - 6 hrs - most one can expect at altitude...
Ever since, if I anticipate some longterm getting to sleep, or reasonable sleep term issues, I take 1/3 tab - I can break into 3rds using my finger nail, now rarely 1/2 tab (but occasionally...)
NO grogginess or doped-up feeling on waking, no ill effects of any time, usually has me nodding off in 10-15 min.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-01-23, 06:11 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Red wine.
Old 09-01-23, 06:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Red wine.
I find that when I have a glass of wine, or any alcohol these days, I wake up at 3:00 AM and have difficulty going back to sleep. Read an article on alcohol and sleep and it stated that it suppresses the CNS which helps you fall asleep, but after a few hours the suppression is gone and the body over-compensates trying to get back to stasis by revving up which causes awakening and being wide awake. A lame strategy I have employed is having another glass of with at 3:00 AM so I can get another 4 hours. These days I drink far less - besides alcohol has been proven to lessen performance, for those interested.

It’s been a few months so don’t have the citation.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-01-23, 08:17 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I am sort of the opposite. I can easily sleep and nap on rest days. I attend a 4PM 3 hour training session at the track. When I am finished at 7PM, I have to drive back home, get cleaned up, eat dinner and then try to fall asleep and stay asleep. My sympathetic nervous system is so jacked up from the HIIT, it is harder to fall asleep. After I get ready for bed, I read. I find that reading relaxes me. I have the same peeing at night issue that most have. So it goes. The green laser is beckoning.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-17-23, 08:59 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
For me, nothing natural seems to work.
So if I go more than two or three nights without sleep, I'll just take a sleeping pill.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-17-23, 12:01 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
My issue this fall is that we have a kid playing in marching band, so I have to get up early every morning, but don’t want to shift to an early bedtime.

Actually I seem to sleep best after a rest day or at least a day when any exercise was not not in the evening.

Otto
Old 09-18-23, 10:35 AM
Salmonchaser

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Like you, I find I can't stay sleep the night after a rest day. I've started substituting other activities (weights, swimming) in the days where I don't ride. It's not a true rest day, but I'm working different parts of the body.
I find that I easily get over trained and don't sleep, and conversely, if I've been riding a lot then stop for a day, I'm also going to get terrible sleep. If I take a number of days off in a row, my sleeping comes back though. Hair trigger sympathetic system I guess. Doesn't help that I have a lot of work stress on top of the training/physical stress. I look forward to retirement in that respect, but still have 10-15 years on that front.
Old 09-18-23, 11:42 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
For the past year or so I've been adding 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar to my water before I go to bed. Drink as much as I feel I need to top off my hydration and finish the rest the next day. I sleep well nearly every time I do this after years of less than great sleep. I haven't tracked rest vs riding days and the vinegar but if I think about it, I make more effort to drink it on those rest days.

This came from a book originating in the 1950s of traditional Vermont farm practices, beliefs and superstitions. Far, far from any approved source. But, for me, the single best sleep improvement I've tried. I just came back from the week long Cycle Oregon. Day two I discovered the packages of Italian dressing had the first ingredient vinegar. Made a point of consuming a salad and that package every day. Best sleep yet in that noisy and not always ideally level tent.
Old 09-18-23, 12:03 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
For the past year or so I've been adding 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar to my water before I go to bed. Drink as much as I feel I need to top off my hydration and finish the rest the next day. I sleep well nearly every time I do this after years of less than great sleep. I haven't tracked rest vs riding days and the vinegar but if I think about it, I make more effort to drink it on those rest days.

This came from a book originating in the 1950s of traditional Vermont farm practices, beliefs and superstitions. Far, far from any approved source. But, for me, the single best sleep improvement I've tried. I just came back from the week long Cycle Oregon. Day two I discovered the packages of Italian dressing had the first ingredient vinegar. Made a point of consuming a salad and that package every day. Best sleep yet in that noisy and not always ideally level tent.
Interesting and about as mysterious as pickle juice stopping leg cramps.
Is there a theory as to how apple cider (or any other) vinegar might aid sleep?
Old 09-18-23, 12:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I use to drink a glass of water with a few tablespoons of vinegar before bed time to clear my sinuses and help with the constant sinus drainage I had back then when sleeping. I was already getting to sleep fast and sleeping good back then so I can't say if it helped with sleep. Other than it cleared my sinuses so I didn't have a throat full of thick snot. Might have even seemed to help with sinus inflammation. But it was a long time ago. And for certain all is circumstantial at best.

It didn't matter what type vinegar. Just as long as you could tolerate it. Apple had a little better flavor, white wine vinegar was a little milder and distilled white vinegar more stronger sensation and maybe nastier to some. But it all seemed to work the same.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-18-23 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-21-23, 11:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
More on the "challenge" of sleeping from the WSJ. Might be of particular interest to those who like to record and measure their performance and compare their stats with strangers.
Getting a good night’s rest becomes a new sport with spreadsheets, strategies and efforts to conk out…the competition. ‘His sleep scores are still neck and neck with mine.’
Extract:
What if sleep isn’t just our body’s way to repair and re-energize, but a game we are playing to win?

Sound like a bad dream? Maybe. But for millions, chasing winks with the latest sleep-measuring technology has become a nighttime sport, complete with sleep scores and strategies on how to best sack the competition. Some people are even, well, losing sleep about whether they are sleeping up to their full potential.

Mike Skerrett, a 27-year-old television writer in Los Angeles, wears a Whoop band to track his biometrics constantly. (“I take it off sometimes in the shower,” he clarifies.) The device, popular for measuring workouts, says it can track rest cycles when worn at night, helping to “optimize your sleep performance.”
Ready, set, sleep!

He has deployed tactics including blackout curtains and taping his mouth shut to max out his sleep score on Whoop’s app.

“I can see that on days when I tape my mouth during sleep, I have a 7% higher recovery score in the morning than on days when I don’t,” he says. “I implemented these changes partially to chase the higher score on the app, and, it also does change the feel of the night’s sleep, for the better.”

He admits his preoccupation with proper shut-eye may have taken a turn for the obsessive.
Sleep gadgets aren’t new. Many restless dozers have drifted beyond counting sheep and sipping herbal tea to the growing array of sleep-oriented “wearable apps, or bedtime products, including white-noise machines, lulling lights and robots that one can cuddle for relaxation.

Now, Type-A Z-seekers also want to conquer bedtime with the dedication (and lingo) of ultramarathoners.

“I am disciplined and competing my ass off to get somewhere between eight and seven hours every night,” Michael Gervais, a performance psychologist who advises chief executives and Olympic athletes, said on his podcast recently.

“Ten years ago, a lot of people would beat their chests and say, ‘I’m a grinder, I’m working on five-and-a-half hours of sleep,’” Gervais says. “Now, more people are attuned to the science, which shows that if you want to live a good life, prioritizing sleep will be one of the best practices you can do.”
Old 09-21-23, 02:23 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
More on the "challenge" of sleeping from the WSJ. Might be of particular interest to those who like to record and measure their performance and compare their stats with strangers.
Getting a good night’s rest becomes a new sport with spreadsheets, strategies and efforts to conk out…the competition. ‘His sleep scores are still neck and neck with mine.’
Extract:
Comparing stats to strangers? Completely irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. A useless article for this thread IMHO.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-22-23, 11:47 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I use to drink a glass of water with a few tablespoons of vinegar before bed time to clear my sinuses and help with the constant sinus drainage I had back then when sleeping. I was already getting to sleep fast and sleeping good back then so I can't say if it helped with sleep. Other than it cleared my sinuses so I didn't have a throat full of thick snot. Might have even seemed to help with sinus inflammation. But it was a long time ago. And for certain all is circumstantial at best.

It didn't matter what type vinegar. Just as long as you could tolerate it. Apple had a little better flavor, white wine vinegar was a little milder and distilled white vinegar more stronger sensation and maybe nastier to some. But it all seemed to work the same.
I have never heard of this. I had been seeing a nose specialist for years. I had surgery on both sides of noise. It worked for about a month or two tops then it all came back. :/

I will have to give a it try. So only before bed? Any reason you could not do it before a ride? Currently I use the water nasal flush before going on a ride.

I found those nasal strips do help me sleep better at night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.