Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Vector delayed again

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 01:25 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts

Perhaps it's time to start a pool on when this product will ever ship...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/02/g...yed-until.html

Apologies if this has already been posted.
Old 02-15-12, 01:30 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Vaporware.
Old 02-15-12, 01:36 PM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Vaporware.
Wow, sure didn't see that coming.
Old 02-15-12, 02:53 PM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"They noted that the product is not just being designed just for their cycling team, and that end-consumers are just as important, if not more important."

I would hope so. If you can't make a product that consumers want, there's no point ever even bothering with the pro team.
Old 02-15-12, 03:15 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
"They noted that the product is not just being designed just for their cycling team, and that end-consumers are just as important, if not more important."

I would hope so. If you can't make a product that consumers want, there's no point ever even bothering with the pro team.
Aren't we all pros though!?
Old 02-15-12, 03:28 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disappointing to say the least.
Old 02-15-12, 03:40 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
Wow, sure didn't see that coming.
Vapor is invisible.
Old 02-15-12, 03:54 PM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Vapor is invisible.
You not so much.
Old 02-15-12, 04:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
Bummer, but not so much a surprise.
Old 02-15-12, 04:24 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'll keep hoping it comes out sometime this year.
Old 02-15-12, 04:27 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And once it's released, you'll have for the second (or third) version to have all the bugs fixed.

Last edited by Gluteus; 02-15-12 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 04:35 PM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluteus
And once is released, you'll have for the second (or third) version to have all the bugs fixed.
I usually wait until the first round of bugs are worked out, but I may just jump in head first on this one, once it is released.
Old 02-15-12, 04:48 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Yeah, it'll probably ship later this year, and it'll take a few firmware versions to really work well.

I don't see any particular reason to wait for a new product though. If you need a power meter this season, stick with something that's shipping.
Old 02-15-12, 05:15 PM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Gluteus
And once is released, you'll have for the second (or third) version to have all the bugs fixed.

This is Garmin. You're being way too optimistic about bug fixes judging by their track record with their 500, 705 and 800.
Old 02-15-12, 05:25 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup, more delays. Probably buggy. Thought about getting the Vector a while ago but considering something proven like Quarq.
Old 02-15-12, 05:29 PM
triumph.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only reason I will wait is I want something I can switch from bike to bike easily
Old 02-15-12, 05:40 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
brim brothers is taking preorders for their cleat based system, supposedly shipping later this year
Old 02-15-12, 10:53 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As Gomer Pyle would say: surprise, surprise, surprise.
Old 02-16-12, 08:07 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
I heard that the tapered spindle in the Exustar would be difficult to work with, giving as much as 15% variance in power readings. Since Garmin is sourcing the pedal from a third party vendor, unless they bought the company or they spec'ed a full new design the pedal will retain that weak link. The only programmatic solution would be to work out some algorithm that would predict the variance and calculate it out.

Look's power pedal has a much beefier spindle at the end, made specially for the power pedals. Therefore their power pedal is a bit clunkier than their normal one. This reduces power variance to 2% or so (less maybe), which is about what people expect.
Old 02-16-12, 08:26 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,324 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I heard that the tapered spindle in the Exustar would be difficult to work with, giving as much as 15% variance in power readings. Since Garmin is sourcing the pedal from a third party vendor, unless they bought the company or they spec'ed a full new design the pedal will retain that weak link. The only programmatic solution would be to work out some algorithm that would predict the variance and calculate it out.

Look's power pedal has a much beefier spindle at the end, made specially for the power pedals. Therefore their power pedal is a bit clunkier than their normal one. This reduces power variance to 2% or so (less maybe), which is about what people expect.
If only Look would get with the new century and ditch WIND in exchange for ANT+...

Missed a call from Olathe, KS yesterday....guessing it was about this. Not surprised. Hopefully they re-price it as well.

Old 02-16-12, 08:55 AM
coachboyd
Boyd Cycling owner

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
The Garmin Vector is the Contador verdict of power meters.

My guess is for the 4th Interbike in a row it will have a release date of "Q1 next year"
Old 02-16-12, 09:15 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
If only Look would get with the new century and ditch WIND in exchange for ANT+...
I got in that discussion too. The low power Bluetooth seems promising but right now... It's really only sensible if they transition to it now and release (good) apps for iPhone/Android (like basically a full fledged WKO kind of thing). I forget the details on the Bluetooth advantages so I can't speak on them. I think it has to do with data transmission rates, i.e. Ant+ struggles with 16 readings per revolution (broadcast/receive 16 stress readings in 0.67 seconds if you're doing 90 rpm with 8 stress gauges per pedal). I'm not sure though.
Old 02-16-12, 09:19 AM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by triumph.1
The only reason I will wait is I want something I can switch from bike to bike easily
ditto
Old 02-16-12, 09:35 AM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by triumph.1
The other option would be to go with multiple hub based powermeters. The cost is probably a wash for 2-3 hubs and you get the advantages of proven reliability and backup meters.

I don't think it's a great idea for someone to make the Vector their first powermeter. It's quite clear that making a reliable pedal based meter is difficult and their is a strong possibility that when and if Garmin finally releases the Vector it will have 'teething' problems that will take a year or so to sort out.

They aren't going to sort it out in a lab, it needs extensive testing in the field under a wide variety of conditions and installations. That the pro team is not able/willing to use it yet speaks volumes about the state of their development. For anyone familiar with software development, I think they're just about at the box that says "and then a miracle happens".
Old 02-16-12, 10:06 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,324 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by coachboyd
The Garmin Vector is the Contador verdict of power meters.

My guess is for the 4th Interbike in a row it will have a release date of "Q1 next year"
+1

At least they had demo units last Interbike. I told them they totally missed on the price. They looked shocked/surprised. I told them they could have owned the power market if they had been under $1k. I still believe that.

It takes a lot of work to develop a reliable power meter. I wish I could count the number of times I have seen someone start a company with the whole - "It's easy....it's just a few strain gauges...the parts are cheap...." thinking only to never materialize. Quarq has an immense amount of respect from me with regards to their development. They executed it beautifully. I am a little sad for me that it is now part of the SRAM kingdom as it makes my "dealer" status less of a thing, but hey...congrats to Mieke and Jim and their family at Quarq. One of the few success stories.

FWIW - there are a lot of power options either coming out or already out. Great departures from companies like Saris, as well as new innovations from Brim Brothers, and that company in Europe...power to max or some such. Power will only get better and easier to own. Maybe not both at the same time though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.