Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

ISO Canti boss fixture

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

ISO Canti boss fixture

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23, 06:02 PM
bikingman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ISO Canti boss fixture

Any chance someone on this forum has a canti boss fixture to sell?

I have a customer who would like them brazed on his frame. I'm someone who trusts the methods and tools, and generally don't consider myself a tool builder.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-28-23, 11:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3615 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,956 Posts
For a one-off job, it doesn't need to be fancy. A strip of steel with some holes or a slot and a couple M6 bolts. Take your time lining things up and it'll be fine.

N.B. the extensions on the bolts aren't strictly needed, if you're patient enough to let things cool down before you try to remove them. And don't forget to braze the post to the base (usually it is just staked in place and can work loose over time) and braze the seams on the base.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-28-23, 12:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,553 Posts
I have a fixture just like that. Right down to the hand cut slot. It works really well. I now have an Anvil, and I'm not fully convinced that it works any better. At least with the hand-made piece of steel, you know you have to be really careful. The anvil has an annoying amount of slop. I keep thinking about fixing it, but so far I'm just living with it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-31-23, 05:53 PM
Mark Beaver
semi-retired framebuilder

Bikes: twenty-three at last count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Here’s my home-grown canti boss fixture. A length of steel angle “iron”, machined flat on one side, with a long slot. It’s fairly thick so quite substantial. I use a piece of stainless rack strut for a spring clip, got one bent for fork blades and another bent for seatstays, flexing them to suit different diameters. Been using this for 30 years, can’t remember where the angle iron came from. Simple but effective.

Mark Beaver
Tamarack Cycles
Halifax, NS
Likes For Mark Beaver:
Old 11-06-23, 03:32 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 214 Posts
I actually just eyeball them. Stand the fork upright and mark the legs with a sharpie using a laser level. Lie it on its back and put the bosses on. Easy to check they are level with a square on the table pointing upwards. Hold them there with a "third hand" and TIG tack. Check it's all good and that you have the spacing you want between them. But it does make sense to bolt something flat across the top as others have suggested.