Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Casual rider...iPhone cycling app or Garmin

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 05:39 PM
Hoggle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm mostly a casual rider...meaning mostly riding on weekends due to busy workweek schedule. (I drive a garbage truck, so I am usually dead tired during the week). I would like to either use an iPhone app on a ride, or if it would be much better to get a garmin. Being a casual rider, I'm not sure if a garmin would be worth the high price; on the other hand, I have heard the cycling apps burn through the battery life during a ride. I really like the idea of having a GPS map on rides, which again leads me to apps such as Strava, Endomondo, or Cyclemeter...(I'm sure there are also others).

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-13, 05:52 PM
PedalingFool

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would say maybe give the app a try for a while to see if it works for you...
If not then invest in a Garmin.
Old 05-13-13, 05:56 PM
jdfriesen

Bikes: 2012 Ridley Excalibur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingFool
I would say maybe give the app a try for a while to see if it works for you...
If not then invest in a Garmin.
This is what I'm doing, being new to road biking (I'm using Strava right now). However, I now know that I want a Garmin! Won't be any time soon though, as there are definitely higher priority expenditures in my future.
Old 05-13-13, 06:56 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my phone (after a couple of years with a TomTom) in the car, but I just can't warm up to electronic navigation on the bike. Paper maps are so cool and reliable and easy to use, and for me the annoyance factor of the phone (which I carry in the first place only because I ride in remote areas and my wife insists) outweighs any possible convenience. I can see how it might be useful if you're mileage sensitive, so you want to know you rode 23.76 miles instead of "about 24," but otherwise, meh.
If you're a AAA member, or know one, they have maps of a scale that's perfect for cycling. They'll fold down to fit in a handlebar map holder or jersey pocket, and the exposed portion then covers a couple of hours of riding for me.
Old 05-13-13, 07:07 PM
here2day

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the free Strava app on your phone. If you're a casual rider you may find this is all you need. You can't beat free and it's actually a great app.
Old 05-13-13, 07:15 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Make sure your phone is fully charged when you start your ride. If your riding time depletes your battery completely, then you're riding enough to be serious about it and probably time to upgrade to Garmin.
Old 05-13-13, 07:17 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As far as battery life goes, Strava for iPhone has gotten much better. For me, the battery lasts well longer than 3 hours and I've never run the phone down to critical levels. If you already have a smart phone, go download it and see if it works for you. Myself, I've given up on cycling computers. If I really want info from a ride, I turn on the Strava app. It's kind of fun, and if you are on an unfamiliar ride, or if you are like me and don't know where you are or where you are going half the time on a group ride, it is nice to record the ride for future posterity using the app.

I've never used it, but I've heard good things about the MapMyRide app too.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-13-13, 07:49 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Another vote for iPhone. I have both iPhone and Garmin, but if I started with iPhone 5 and Strava, that's all I would use.

Old 05-13-13, 08:21 PM
Big Lebowski

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff

I've never used it, but I've heard good things about the MapMyRide app too.
I use mapmyride. Works well. Plus, I'm cheap, so free is the best price.
Old 05-13-13, 08:35 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The Strava iPhone app has made huge strides in battery life in the last year. A full charge on your phone now is a pretty safe bet to last four hours plus. Try that first. I have a Mophie Juice Pack Air for really long rides. That's still cheaper than a Garmin.
Old 05-13-13, 09:56 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I'd consider the Garmin Edge 200.

The 200 is relatively cheap, decent battery life, purpose-built for cycling, small, easy. If you're basically a casual rider, you won't be put out by the lack of ANT+.
Old 05-14-13, 09:52 AM
pjdizzy

Bikes: GT GTR Series 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Strava and it does exactly what I need it to do! Just give me estimates on my ride, so I can quasi track my progress.

As long as my iPhone 4 has more than 35% battery life I can listen to music and get an hour ride in no problem.
Old 05-14-13, 10:46 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kenji666
Make sure your phone is fully charged when you start your ride. If your riding time depletes your battery completely, then you're riding enough to be serious about it and probably time to upgrade to Garmin.
You can buy an external battery for smart phone that helps a lot. (Make sure your screen is off in any case.)
Old 05-14-13, 12:10 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Another vote for Strava on iPhone, especially the iPhone 5. I've been out on 4 hour rides with Strava running and my iPhone 5 battery only dropped maybe 30% in that time. I've been highly impressed with it.

Also I have noticed that on other people's rides on Strava who use Garmin devices, it appears that the GPS point frequency is much less than that of Strava on iPhone, i.e. the iPhone app seems to gather location data much more often than the Garmin devices do, so the map and elevation profiles *seem* to be a bit more accurate. But who knows.
Old 05-14-13, 12:28 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is there a cadence or heart rate monitor available that works with strava on iphone??
Old 05-14-13, 12:56 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

I believe you can use bluetooth-enabled monitors for that data, such as this: https://www.wahoofitness.com/Products...nce-Sensor.asp

Or if you have an iPhone 4/4S with 30-pin dock connector, you can use the Wahoo ANT+ key to connect to any ANT+ sensor.
Old 05-14-13, 12:58 PM
pjdizzy

Bikes: GT GTR Series 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but from what I've researched it would be a pain in the butt.... You'd need to mount your phone to your bike and get a cadence meter (https://strava.wahoofitness.com/store...ce-Sensor.aspx). I think that strava doesn't show your cadence while you're riding, only if you upgrade to premium (dont quote me on that), but there are others that would track it for you. Also, you'd need to continually turn your phone on to see your cadence which would kill the battery life.

rant over.... if you find a good solution let me know.... i gave up....
Old 05-14-13, 01:00 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sounds like even for casual riders that want cadence and heart rate the garmin may still be the better solution.
Old 05-14-13, 01:14 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pjdizzy
Yes, but from what I've researched it would be a pain in the butt.... You'd need to mount your phone to your bike and get a cadence meter (https://strava.wahoofitness.com/store...ce-Sensor.aspx). I think that strava doesn't show your cadence while you're riding, only if you upgrade to premium (dont quote me on that), but there are others that would track it for you. Also, you'd need to continually turn your phone on to see your cadence which would kill the battery life.

rant over.... if you find a good solution let me know.... i gave up....
Put the phone in your pocket and only look at it when you need to see something?

I've been computerless for a few years now. I don't miss any of that information.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-14-13, 01:33 PM
gregbj8

Bikes: CAAD 10 - 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a casual rider and use Cyclemeter which is all I need. It logs and displays time, speed, ave speed, plus maps the route. It also documents each ride by email if you want it and posts it to a calendar. Battery life in hour plus rides has not been an issue on my iPhone 4.
Old 05-14-13, 02:05 PM
PatrickGSR94

If you want to see the data continuously, then yea the Garmin. I don't rely on my iPhone for instantaneous speed/distance numbers. I use a small wired computer for that. The computer also keeps track of total bike miles. But when I ride I just start Strava, lock the screen, stick the phone in my jersey pocket and be on my way. Then when finished (or stopping for extended periods) I'll stop/save the ride or pause it. That method has been very good on phone battery life so far.
Old 05-14-13, 02:07 PM
pihb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my vote is with garmin. i have the 310xt and like how it logs everything on my garmin site and 30hrs battery life rocks
Old 05-14-13, 06:13 PM
Sdjclevland

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use mapmyride. I am not familiar with the Garmin but the mapmyride does great for me. Gives me average speed and split times for each mile and everything else. Battery lasts fine for me