Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

love my super six.... but is there a better ride for similar dollar

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 11:07 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts

I recently wrecked my bike. Held up in injury and "looking" at bike replacement options

Love my 2012 team color super six with SRAM and different wheels over the time. So obviously another cdale would be on top of the list. Since the super six was replaced by the evo line up, there are plenty options in the 3k range.

I do some crit races but not much, mostly a club rider and put in 130-160miles a week with 2 x CAM. So the bike must be comfy for them 5-6 hr rides (moving time)

Since I can't ride anything right now with my injuries I'm going by aesthetics and what would fit me the best. 565-575 ett and ht length of 160. I have long arms and like to get down low. My old ss was a 58 with a slammed 110. I'd like to get lower. Was thinking of getting the zipp sprinter stem in 120 and -12*, then the bike got totaled.

Super six evo ult di2 in 56
Spesh venge with ultegra in 56
Masi evoluzione
Focus izalco

Any other fast century bikes out there with short head tubes? Friend is trying to talk me into a project one trek domane classic, but 5500 with force 22 and cheap wheels is hard to swallow.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 04-25-14, 12:18 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
What does "better ride" mean to you?

Better fit? More road buzz dampening? More aggressive? Less drag?

Was the SSX lacking in a particular quality?
Old 04-25-14, 12:23 PM
Young Version

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia, 1981 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Realistically, unless you get a great deal on a closeout or used bike, you're not going to get anything appreciably better for the same money.
Old 04-25-14, 01:01 PM
Lasrsktr

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is broken on the SuperSix currently...

I just crashed and wrecked my 2011 SuperSix and was able to repair the toptube for 180 bucks and its back to normal..

And it is still better and cheaper than having to replace an entire bike..

I know the new bike itch is there because all you can do is sit around and look at parts :-) I was laid up for a month and haven't ridden for three..

~Steven
Old 04-25-14, 01:28 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lasrsktr
What is broken on the SuperSix currently...
He posted elsewhere that he was hit by a car and went through the windshield so I'm guessing the bike is totaled.

The Madone seems more like the other three bikes than the Domane. That was one thing that stood out to me.
Old 04-25-14, 01:57 PM
Nebby10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
He posted elsewhere that he was hit by a car and went through the windshield so I'm guessing the bike is totaled.

The Madone seems more like the other three bikes than the Domane. That was one thing that stood out to me.
The geometry on the Domane Classics Edition is quite aggressive, it has an even shorter head tube than the H1 Madone. In fact, it's head tube is actually nearly 4 cm shorter than my Evo!

Head tube lengths (54cm frame):
Domane Classics Edition: 10.3cm
Madone H1: 12.5cm
Evo: 14cm

It's definitely not your typical Domane...

Last edited by Nebby10; 04-25-14 at 02:02 PM. Reason: looked up actual head tube lengths
Old 04-25-14, 02:20 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nebby10
I did not know that. Sounds like true pro geometry. Their H1 geometry is already very aggressive.

The other thing about the Domane is the ride. It's quite a bit less lively than the other bikes listed. I test rode a 6 series P1 Domane for 30-40 minutes.
Old 04-25-14, 02:26 PM
Nebby10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I did not know that. Sounds like true pro geometry. Their H1 geometry is already very aggressive.

The other thing about the Domane is the ride. It's quite a bit less lively than the other bikes listed. I test rode a 6 series P1 Domane for 30-40 minutes.
The Classics Edition is literally the same frame that the pro's use, the geometry is changed fairly significantly compared to a standard Domane. I just got mine this week and I'll be taking it out for a 50mi spin on Sat then a climbing ride on Sun, we'll see how it fares

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nPoHmF4l.jpg (69.0 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Nebby10; 04-25-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 02:36 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the idea of the "classics edition" Trek, but it's too bad they priced it out of reach for anyone who can't afford a Ferrari.
Old 04-25-14, 04:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If I recall, you can usually pick up a last-year's-model supersix with 105 for about $1500 or $1600, which means the odds of finding a complete bike that rides as well for less is EXTREMELY slim. (going on previous statements that you like the bike).

Depending on the state of the components, you could always look into a crash replacement for the frame and transfer the working components over & upgrade the remainder. Given your cache of wheels, an upgrade to 11 speed probably isn't the best plan either.

You could also search out a used SS frame on fleabay. I know people don't like to do that but it is an option (again, assuming you can transfer over some or all of your components)

Which bikes does your favorite local shop sell? I bet you could arrange for some extended test rides while you make up your mind. And do let me know if you need any spares, I have just about a full force group laying around (sans shifters) and a couple frames. Actually, except for shifters, I think I have enough spares on hand for a full spare bike. I should really build that thing up.
Old 04-25-14, 07:02 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had to replace the bike after a crash recently and was able to find a great deal on a 2013 leftover. See what's out there locally in your size and meets your price point with your preferred components. Some shops can also locate and ship bikes in if you get it narrowed down and they can find it. Keep your options open. I was going to pull the trigger on a Focus Izalco, but it sold before I was ready. Ended up going with a Giant TCR Advanced SL. There's plenty of great bikes out there. If your components are still in good shape, I'd look into replacing the frame, especially if they have a crash replacement discount available.
Old 04-25-14, 07:06 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice bike. I love that Blue color!

The Classics Edition is literally the same frame that the pro's use, the geometry is changed fairly significantly compared to a standard Domane. I just got mine this week and I'll be taking it out for a 50mi spin on Sat then a climbing ride on Sun, we'll see how it fares

Old 04-25-14, 07:37 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

My main lbs is bike bling. They have cervelo, spesh, focus, pinns ( fp due and similar) plus dogma frameset, colnago framesets. I think the dogma and other 5k framesets build are not going to happen.

Club Shop sponsored is carbon connections, they have focus and masi and mid teir colnago complete along with bikes I can only dream of riding.

Trek superstore does the treks of off the rack kind and project one builds. And they also sell Cannondales. That's where I got my supersix.

What I didn't like about the supersix could be solved with a frame size smaller. But if I can have the same 575 ett but shorter ht length would be the best way. As I got faster and more in shape, I wanted it to fit more aggressive. Overall road damping is done by the wheels and rubber selection I have in my library, moving to 11speed might be an option, id just have to sell all my wheelsets. With hope to get one or two nice ones.Stiffness and sprinting under short power burst was awesome and would expect the same from my next bike.

I would like to try / test ride ultegra di2, otherwise id stick with sram.
Old 04-25-14, 08:01 PM
Nebby10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq
I love the idea of the "classics edition" Trek, but it's too bad they priced it out of reach for anyone who can't afford a Ferrari.
With project one you can drop the price down to what a normal domane 6 costs, you can even set it up with 105, lol. It's only if you buy the non-project one version that you buy the full race shop + carbon wheels + DA9070 bike which costs a ridiculous amount.

OP: sorry for going off topic, honestly I'd say if you were comfortable with the supersix I'd stick with that.

Last edited by Nebby10; 04-25-14 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 11:30 PM
jdip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You sound like you were really happy with the SuperSix. I'd get another unless you really want to try something else.
Old 04-26-14, 02:24 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by jdip
You sound like you were really happy with the SuperSix. I'd get another unless you really want to try something else.
The venge would be up there on the list cuz I love the lines but comes with mechanical ultegra for 3300 or 3900 for the expert. And the wheels would have to be donated to craigslist. Couple guys in my club ride them and love them. I dont know how it would ride with a couple centuries a month though. I am open for trying/ looking at something other then an evo
Old 04-26-14, 03:10 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
The geometry on the Domane Classics Edition is quite aggressive, it has an even shorter head tube than the H1 Madone. In fact, it's head tube is actually nearly 4 cm shorter than my Evo!

Head tube lengths (54cm frame):
Domane Classics Edition: 10.3cm
Madone H1: 12.5cm
Evo: 14cm

The Domane has a very low bottom bracket, so the actual stack difference is not as drastic. It still is both longer and lower than the Madone though.
Old 04-26-14, 03:52 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
The key to happiness in life is to be content with what you have and not to want what you don't have. The grass is just as green this side.
Old 04-26-14, 04:19 AM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
But if I can have the same 575 ett but shorter ht length would be the best way. As I got faster and more in shape, I wanted it to fit more aggressive.
You did fully slam the stem on the old SuperSix? This would mean also replacing the stock headset cover with something shorter. Just checking, because the cone spacer that comes stock on Cannondale is quite tall.
Old 04-26-14, 04:28 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
No
Old 04-26-14, 05:46 AM
clydeosaur

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You did fully slam the stem on the old SuperSix? This would mean also replacing the stock headset cover with something shorter. Just checking, because the cone spacer that comes stock on Cannondale is quite tall.
Truth to this. i replaced mine with a low profile Ritchey one. Now I can get more drop, and in my case, comfort.
Old 04-26-14, 01:42 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by Fiery
the supers come with that crazy cone spacer but under it is also another cannondale 0 profile bearing cap. My 3t stem (110mm) was slammed on that cap. To get lower I'd need a 10-12* stem. I wanted the Zipp SL Sprint stem Zipp - Speed Weaponry | Stems | SL Sprint Stem

coastal century seflie by jsig1, on Flickr
Old 04-26-14, 02:19 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should go with cannondale again. if your bike was crashed by the fault of someone else ask for cash/check from the other party.

You could come out with a nice evo, especially if the insurance company hands over a check for all your replacement parts (stem/post/wheels/etc) and you buy a replacement bike from cannondale through their program (usually a stackable 25% off) and have a bigger chunk of change for other parts that were better than previous ones.

Otherwise, I would go w/custom based on the ss if that's what you like and want a better ride/fit
Old 04-27-14, 01:40 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2011 Supersix-1 frame cracked after a crash last fall. I ended up picking up a 2014 Supersix Evo-5 with 105 for $1750 out the door. Swapped all the D/A components and Ksyriums over to the new frame.
Old 04-27-14, 01:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The key to happiness in life is to be content with what you have and not to want what you don't have. The grass is just as green this side.
marketing and advertising powers will have such heretics burned at the stake. you are talking like an enemy of capitalism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.