Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New wheel set. Rear disc rubbing in brake mount on frame.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 05:55 PM
chaser77

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Diverge A1 61"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Got a new wheel set for specialized Diverge. Have an 8 speed cassette so using the 1.85 mm spacer like previous wheel. The rotor now just barely touches the outside part of the brake mount. Not the pad. The shifting and everything lines up fine except this brake run by like 1 or 2 mm. Would a smaller spacer fix this? Can the brake mount be adjusted?
Old 07-30-19, 08:24 PM
chaser77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’d post a picture but I can’t until I have 20 posts per forum guidelines...getting there though.
Old 07-30-19, 08:32 PM
chaser77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 07-30-19, 09:45 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Looks like it is rubbing on the caliper not the mount.

Loosen the 2 bolts that hold the caliper onto the frame, just loosen them enough that the caliper has sideways movement.
Squeeze the brake lever and put something around the lever and handlebar like a rubber band or strap to keep the lever pressed and the brake clamped onto the disc.
Push the brake adapter (the black bracket between the brake caliper and the brake mount on the frame) outwards as far as it will go on the bolts.
Tighten the 2 mounting bolts back up in small increments and go back and forth between the 2 bolts until they are tightened enough.
When the 2 mounting bolts are tightened enough, release the brake lever and see if there the brake caliper is still rubbing on the disc.
Old 07-30-19, 10:07 PM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Try what cobba said first.

If that doesn't work, then you need to loosen and then tighten the brake caliper bolts so that when secure the rotor is centered between the calipers. It seems hard to eyeball it, but once you get the angle right, it's fairly straightforward.
Old 07-31-19, 05:21 AM
chaser77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I will give this a try this evening. I wasn’t sure if there was a way to adjust these or not.
Old 07-31-19, 07:04 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
Is the wheel secure in the dropouts or is that a stupid suggestion and this has a thru-axle?
Old 07-31-19, 07:45 AM
chaser77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Is the wheel secure in the dropouts or is that a stupid suggestion and this has a thru-axle?
Yes, wheel is secure. Has a quick release, not thru axle. Thanks.
Old 07-31-19, 10:06 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by chaser77
Got a new wheel set for specialized Diverge. Have an 8 speed cassette so using the 1.85 mm spacer like previous wheel. The rotor now just barely touches the outside part of the brake mount. Not the pad. The shifting and everything lines up fine except this brake run by like 1 or 2 mm. Would a smaller spacer fix this? Can the brake mount be adjusted?
It sounds like you’re talking about the 1.85mm cassette spacer that allows you to use older cassettes on 11 speed wheels. If so, that spacer is there solely to make the cassette line up properly, and doesn’t affect the rotor alignment on the other side of the hub at all. So if your bike is shifting properly, don’t mess with that spacer. It won’t do anything to fix your rotor problem anyway.

It’s very common for different wheels to have slightly different brake rotor spacing, so there’s probably nothing wrong with your bike or your new wheel. You just need to adjust the caliper alignment as others have already advised. Some people with multiple wheel sets have to add shims behind the rotor to get all the wheels to line up the same so they aren’t constantly readjusting the calipers. But if you don’t have your old wheel anymore, then no need to worry about it.
Old 07-31-19, 06:49 PM
chaser77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got the rotor adjusted. Thanks for the help guys. Brakes on front and back are a little spongey now. Watched some videos on how to adjust those. I can adjust the inside pad so it’s just barely not touching the rotor, but I don’t see a way to adjust the outside pad on my brakes. Tektro Mira. I’m guessing I don’t have high quality disc brakes on this budget bike. I had been riding my old KHS flite road bike that has caliper brakes and those seem to work a lot better than the disc brakes on my diverge ever did, even when it was brand new.