Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

NJ: What's Up With Max Weinberg?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 06:55 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

I heard, the other day, that Max Weinberg, Bruce Springsteen's drummer, is suing to stop reconstruction of a portion of the Henry Hudson Bikeway. Apparently, he has a home along the path, and he and other residents insist it was the bike path that caused water from Sandy to flood their homes last October.

Anybody from Jersey have any insight?
Old 09-24-13, 08:28 PM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's him and a court judge neighbor suing. All bunk, they just don't want peons interrupting their view of the water.

The area was undesirable blue collar shore until a few years ago and the wealthy are trying to sterilize the area now. NJ has a history of excluding the public from beach access and using government to protect the interests of the wealthy. Will see how this plays out.
Old 09-24-13, 08:57 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Must be tough having a nice piece of property near the ocean and thinking that others might be enjoying themselves nearby on a bike trail. . . .
Old 09-25-13, 08:22 PM
Papa Tom

>>>NJ has a history of excluding the public from beach access<<<<

Long Island is the same. Everybody thinks we're ALL allowed to enjoy the Hamptons and the miles and miles of sandy beaches along the coastline. Nuh uh.
Old 09-25-13, 10:56 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom

Long Island is the same. Everybody thinks we're ALL allowed to enjoy the Hamptons and the miles and miles of sandy beaches along the coastline. Nuh uh.
It's a national thing and actually deliberately blocking public access to the beach could be illegal under federal law.

I predict this lawsuit will be thrown out and then appealed and then thrown out again.
Old 09-26-13, 09:34 AM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and he and other residents insist it was the bike path that caused water from Sandy to flood their homes last October.
Is the trail near his home on a section that used to be the old Central Railroad of NJ right of way? If so, I don't think there's been any change to grade etc. over the last 100 years that could have caused worse flooding.
Old 09-28-13, 04:43 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I don't know how you got that idea. Every inch of beach in the Hamptons is publicly accessible. The Dongan Patent makes sure of that.
Old 09-28-13, 06:02 PM
Papa Tom

Ha! Ha! Ha! Good follow-up, C Law. I happen to be a local historian based on Long Island, so I found your response very clever.
Old 09-29-13, 09:40 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
It doesn't look like they are trying to reduce access. Rather, they are blaming the trail for causing erosion which increased damage to their homes.

The Weinbergs apparently bought their property after the trail was put in. I suspect this is not about controlling access, it's about getting money from someone for Sandy damage. If the property owners didn't have insurance, they are probably facing some steep losses.

That said....

Originally Posted by C Law
I don't know how you got that idea.
In 1989, roughly 58% of New Jersey's shoreline was in private hands.

Many towns (mostly in CT) have public beaches, but charge exorbitant rates for out-of-towners.

From what I've been able to dig up, only 20% of the Long Island Sound is publicly accessible. I'm sure a historian or researcher can find better numbers for LI....

And apparently, some wealthy beach owners are fighting for ownership and control of even Hampton beaches: https://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...t-hampton.html
Old 09-29-13, 10:38 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if Max Weinberg is really hurting for money!!! At least having relatives there and knowing where the folks like Jon Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen live, I doubt if they can afford to live there, they can easily fix any Sandy Damage. Plus, they're not directly on the Atlantic which is somewhat protected by Sandy Hook bat but on the Navesink River (which empties out into sandy hook bay. Now if you see some of the houses that got hit that are behind the giant rock barrier facing the Atlantic... those folks got wiped out.

Jay
Old 09-30-13, 06:46 AM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Why doesn't Max like bikes?

Because he was Born To Run!
Old 09-30-13, 09:56 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,090 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by C Law
I don't know how you got that idea. Every inch of beach in the Hamptons is publicly accessible. The Dongan Patent makes sure of that.
Ummm, that's not correct. The public has access to any part of the beach in NY State from the high tide line out. We may not cross private property to gain such access but can walk the beach from wherever such access might be available.

That essentially is the same thing as limiting public access as you may well be in a public accessible area during low tide, then find your egress blocked as the tide comes in, thus face trespassing charges.

https://www.stripersonline.com/t/6460...cess-good-info
Old 09-30-13, 02:26 PM
Papa Tom

Steve:

I think the original statement was tongue-in-cheek. By "access to the sandy beaches," I really meant a clear view of the ocean and a welcoming committee anytime any one of us wants to dip our feet in the water. This just doesn't exist on Long Island if you're a Have-Not.