Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why support your LBS?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why support your LBS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 12:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
This.
Never ceases to amaze me that some adults cannot grasp the concept of local business in general. The interweb is not a new thing anymore.
If you are unable to weigh the pros and cons between the two there is nothing strangers on the interwebs can do for you imo

And the whole thing about being local is that the stores in one place won't be like the stores in another. Some places will have several good LBS. Some places won't even have a lousy one, let alone a good one. People need different things from different retailers, so each person's calculation of whether to go to the LBS is going to vary by where they are and what they need. So, the post that says something like "I needed ___ from my LBS and they didn't have ____, and therefore LBS are dying" is pretty stupid.

OTOH, saying everyone should go to LBS for everything bike-related to keep them in business also would be pretty stupid. I just haven't seen anyone actually say that yet.
Straw men haunt these LBS threads.

Just to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with your post, just making a tangential point I think it raises.
Old 04-25-19, 01:02 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Yet another support your local LBS thread ?
Old 04-25-19, 01:11 PM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Even if you support your bike store their is no guaranteed buddies or parts hook ups
Im trying to purchase a new bike and none come with the group set i favor, when i asked the shop the costs of switching to said groupset i got a huge bill for the parts and installation, and this is buying a new bike from them (@MSRP) at the same time!
Im pretty sure after purchase i will have to tape my bike purchase receipt on my forehead

But i will say needing something or getting out of a bind and having a local shop there is very nice to have
Even sort of Box store Performance Bike that is kind of gone now i have a good story:
i broke my bike chain on the trail 30 miles from my house and carried my bike to the store since it was only 10 mins away. Since i recently bought the bike there they ended up putting a free chain on and got me back on the road within 20min
Old 04-25-19, 02:02 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Must admit I skipped over most of your comments. I support my LBS because it’s right near my local MUP and they are helpful and friendly. Some of your other issues mean nothing to me. Last time I really needed help they fixed the click in my bottom bracket. Dropped the bike off, went to the nearby store, came back and it’s been fine ever since. That’s why.
Old 04-25-19, 02:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Support is something I do for my children, not other people's businesses.

A business has to earn my money every time I call or walk in the front door.

-Tim-
This has received a handful of '+1' replies.
To support something is to help keep it up or to give assistance to.
Financially, customers support a shop thru purchases. Customers keep that shop open thru financial assistance.

Of course service must be given each time for the support to continue.

Just found it odd that you and others took such a narrow interpretation of 'support'.

Support can be conditional...as in there must be perceived value for the support to continue.

It absolutely applies to retail.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-19, 02:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This has received a handful of '+1' replies.
To support something is to help keep it up or to give assistance to.
Financially, customers support a shop thru purchases. Customers keep that shop open thru financial assistance.

Of course service must be given each time for the support to continue.

Just found it odd that you and others took such a narrow interpretation of 'support'.

Support can be conditional...as in there must be perceived value for the support to continue.

It absolutely applies to retail.
I don't get your point--if all "support" means is doing business with the store when you want to, no one needs to be telling people to be doing that.

"Support" is not a synonym for "patronize" or "buy at when convenient", it definitely implies doing something that you might not otherwise do in order to help keep the store in business.

I buy my high speed internet service from Comcast, for example, because I have no alternative. I definitely don't "support" Comcast, and would change providers in a minute if there was a plausible local alternative.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-25-19, 02:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MEversbergII
There's only one at all in my entire county. Fortunately for me, it's down the road like 5 minutes. The next closest one is in another county, though probably only 20 minutes away. One of my coworkers prefers them, but I haven't tried them out yet.

M.
So go to the close one if being 5 minutes away outweighs the benefits of ordering online or going 20 miles away. Don't go there if the convenience or service aren't worth it to you. It's not really a morality question is all I'm saying.
Old 04-25-19, 03:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Because I'm lucky enough to have an old school bike shop only a mile away. They're good fellers. They treat every customer well, regardless of what kind of bike they're looking for.

They spend a few minutes to fish little freebies out of the junk parts bin, like the cable stop/barrel adjuster doodads I needed to replace my downtube shifters with brifters. Or a spare hub cone or lock nut. Or to remove a stuck pedal because I don't have a proper shop anymore with bench vise and cheater bar. Or whang an old single wall rim back into shape so it's a hoop again instead of a Moebius Strip. No charge. They won't even accept tips.

They tell me the truth when my bike doesn't really need anything, like if my old road bike doesn't feel quite right and mechanic checks it out and says "Nothing wrong. Go ride." Instead of selling me stuff I don't need.

So I almost never leave empty handed. At a minimum I'll buy a spare tube, or patch kit. Often they have samples of recent model goodies, or discontinued models, like pumps, lights, gloves, whatever, on sale for really cheap. Or out of season or discontinued cycling apparel, cheap. So there's always something I can buy to make up for the freebies in doodads and services.

But I'll admit such shops are rare in some areas, and less common now even in places with lots of cyclists and shops. Other local cycling friends prefer other LBSs, which is great -- it shows that old school expertise and customer experience is still valued. Even if we do occasionally cheat on our LBS and buy from REI, Walmart, Amazon or Jenson/Nashbar/(your favorite online store here), we still love our local shops.
Old 04-25-19, 05:31 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I go to bikeshops whenever I am in the mood to be profiled and sold a hybrid or beach cruiser.
This is why I have now decided to only go to hyper hyper specialized bike shops that basically only order parts when they will be used for something.

I don't like to do my own stuff. I am not going to shop around excessively to get the best price - I'll google to get an idea of the price range, and that is about it.

Big box bike shops have been generally a miss for me. Any shop that only sells big brand stuff is also a miss for me. I profile the shop - if they only have Specialized or Trek stuff it is a no. If they have mostly QBP brands they are probably OK. My preference is a mix of QBP, restored vintage bikes for sale, Velo Orange parts and a few other random brands. That gives me good odds that they may be pretty knowledgeable.

I prefer to shop in store and in person, I am not an expert and I want to ask questions.
Old 04-25-19, 05:41 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Sorry for the thread repeat since it sounds like it must be frequent. I never spend time here in General sub-forum, and pretty much just look around the C&V or Touring forums.

I'm kinda surprised to hear most people basically saying don't bother with the LBS. I guess I'm really not the only one experiencing no obvious benefit from the LBS. I still wonder if the pricing situation is out of need or greed.

As for the $20 not being a bad price to pull a BB, as I said, I just didn't have the tool and it took 10 minutes. It's not like they had to put a ton of time and effort in. No parts cost. $10, I would think nothing of, but $20 seems steep to me. I guess they just charge $120/hr labor on that job...

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't get your point--if all "support" means is doing business with the store when you want to, no one needs to be telling people to be doing that.

"Support" is not a synonym for "patronize" or "buy at when convenient", it definitely implies doing something that you might not otherwise do in order to help keep the store in business.

I buy my high speed internet service from Comcast, for example, because I have no alternative. I definitely don't "support" Comcast, and would change providers in a minute if there was a plausible local alternative.
Yes, you are supporting Comcast's business. You may not like it, but you are. Every customer who gives them money is supporting the business. Without you, it would fail. Therefore, you're supporting it and keeping it in business.

Last edited by 3speed; 04-25-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 10:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 3speed
Sorry for the thread repeat since it sounds like it must be frequent. I never spend time here in General sub-forum, and pretty much just look around the C&V or Touring forums.

I'm kinda surprised to hear most people basically saying don't bother with the LBS. I guess I'm really not the only one experiencing no obvious benefit from the LBS. I still wonder if the pricing situation is out of need or greed.

As for the $20 not being a bad price to pull a BB, as I said, I just didn't have the tool and it took 10 minutes. It's not like they had to put a ton of time and effort in. No parts cost. $10, I would think nothing of, but $20 seems steep to me. I guess they just charge $120/hr labor on that job...

Yes, you are supporting Comcast's business. You may not like it, but you are. Every customer who gives them money is supporting the business. Without you, it would fail. Therefore, you're supporting it and keeping it in business.
So now you're taking intention out of your definition of the word? That's absurd. Where is this crazy dictionary that defines "support" as a synonym for " buy from"?

If the word is to mean anything in the context of "support your LBS" it has to mean "buy from a LBS because it's a LBS". It's the opposite of "boycott" . I don't support Comcast because I buy from it when it has a monopoly in my area any more than I'm boycotting Vios because it's not available in my area. I'm fully aware that Comcast is making a monopoly profit off of what I'm paying, and I certainly don't like that, but that's because it costs me too much money, not because of any particular sentiment about Comcast.

I go to my LBS for service and to buy bikes because I like having someone else do the assembly and service work on my bikes. I generally don't buy much in the way of parts and accessories from the two in my city because that would cost more money than I want to spend. Neither shop seems to mind the arrangement, and one of them absolutely encourages it.
Old 04-26-19, 01:45 AM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 03:26 AM
3speed

I'm not saying we should support the LBS even if we're not getting the value for money. That's the whole point of my thread, which, admittedly, I didn't realize was kind of beating a dead horse(because I never go in the General sub-forum). The point was that I've struggled with rationalizing supporting the LBS and am finally to a point where I'm saying "Does anyone have a good reason, or should I give up on this aspect of supporting local business/community, even though I ride 20+mi per day and love cycling?" I was genuinely asking. I realize I muddled up my first post by including thoughts rather than just the questions, and people have trouble seeing the questions when you include the thoughts behind them. My mistake. Anywho, I think my questions have been answered well enough.

For what it's worth, though, I completely agree with mstateglfr in his quote, regarding that comment.
Old 04-26-19, 03:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Are LBS just local business trying to get by, or are they priced much higher for the convenience of people who know nothing about bikes, and I shouldn't feel bad if I don't support them since I work on my bikes?
This may come to you as a shocking revelation, but there is a significant amount of variability from one LBS to the next.
Old 04-26-19, 03:55 AM
3speed

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
This may come to you as a shocking revelation, but there is a significant amount of variability from one LBS to the next.
What? I can't imagine such a thing! Thank you So much for helping me to understand that.
Old 04-26-19, 04:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Since when is Bezos expected to be in the bike recovery business (or bike servicing for that matter)?
Q: Since when are LBS expected to be in the bike recovery business, especially when one of those shops has never gotten a dime of business from my ex and likely never will? (An employee of one shop drive to someone's house to pick up the bike. The owner of the second shop picked it up from the first shop and brought it back to his place. Neither trip was around the block.) A: Because they are run by accessible humans who care about members of the local cycling scene. You can't put a price on that. At least I can't.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-26-19 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 04:42 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
What? I can't imagine such a thing! Thank you So much for helping me to understand that.
Based upon your OP you quite obviously did not understand that so not sure where the sarcasm is coming from.
Btw, have you read all of the responses?
In a nonsensical thread designed to ferret out fellow LBS haters I believe you have more LBS supporters than not.
Who’s better than you though. Complaining about spending $20 for a job that you could not have performed as it required a special tool that you did not own. Assuming you could have handled it even if you had the tool?

Last edited by downhillmaster; 04-26-19 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 04:55 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
A: Because they are run by accessible humans who care about members of the local cycling scene.
Or, because they hope you'll go see them to have the bike fixed, or when you need parts. Or that you praise them to your cycling club in hopes of getting their business.

But yeah...
Old 04-26-19, 06:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well, if you understood that, asking about LBS in general terms was sure a stupid thing to do in starting a thread.

The horse is decomposing at this point.
Old 04-26-19, 06:56 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
But more and more I'm finding it difficult to support LBS....... I recently had a stuck BB removed and it took three shops to find one with the tool to remove a 1990s BB. The charged me $20 for 10 minutes of work. I usually do my own work anyway. In that case, it would have been half the price to buy and own the tool, and do it myself(I would have if I had known it would be $20 to pull a BB)....
I shouldn't feel bad, or should I be trying to support them even though it doesn't "make sense" for me financially? A
$20 BUCKS? REALLY? Are we complaining of a $20 bucks labor charge for something that 3 other LBS couldn't do? What would've been the fair amount in your opinion? $3, $5, $10???? The fact it took 10 minutes is irrelevant. They provided you a service and $20 bucks nowadays is nothing. A plumber, electrician or even a handyman would charge upwards of $100 just to show up. Many auto dealers charge $160+++ to just
touch your car for basic diagnosis. It has nothing to do with charity or "supporting" the lbs.

here is an old story, with many variants available but you get the point:

Nikola Tesla visited Henry Ford at his factory, which was having some kind of difficulty. Ford asked Tesla if he could help identify the problem area. Tesla walked up to a wall of boilerplate and made a small X in chalk on one of the plates. Ford was thrilled, and told him to send an invoice.The bill arrived, for $10,000. Ford asked for a breakdown. Tesla sent another invoice, indicating a $1 charge for marking the wall with an X, and $9,999 for knowing where to put it
Likes For TheRef:
Old 04-26-19, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Or, because they hope you'll go see them to have the bike fixed, or when you need parts. Or that you praise them to your cycling club in hopes of getting their business.

But yeah...
Exactly! If being local makes them good, you go there.

If they do what you need them to do well and at a reasonable cost, go there. If you don't need them or they suck, you don't go there.

It's a big fat d-uh topic.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-26-19, 07:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts

Speaking of paying someone to work on your bike, we have a service here that is basically a "bike shop in a truck". The guy pulls up with his fully stocked van, and will do repairs, tune-ups, installation on the spot. Pretty decent pricing too, and his parts inventory is surprisingly complete (again, aside from the exotic stuff).
Is it by chance the same VeloFix company that Canyon uses? just curious

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/service...ice-by-velofix
Old 04-26-19, 07:19 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is it by chance the same VeloFix company that Canyon uses? just curious
Yes it is! They have been great when I dealt with them.
Old 04-26-19, 07:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

Support is simply a word without intent. Intent and level of support can be added to then clarify the type of support being given- as in mandatory support, direct support, involuntary support, indirect support, etc.

Your Comcast example, to me, is one of involuntary support because if you had another option, you would choose to go elsewhere.

These terms though- involuntary support, direct support, etc- they exist for this very reason- because Timmy is wrong.

Support can be an emotional term- how you and Timmy are using it by which you choose to support something due to a variety of reasons. It can also simply describe actions that help hold something up(which being a customer, even begrudgingly, is just that).

Someone can support a place like an LBS because they find value in it, even though its a business transaction.
Someone can support a place like an LBS because they enjoy the culture and view it as a hub for their passion/hobby.
Someone can support a place like an LBS because they like what the LBS stands for- trail support, donating to community, etc.
All those are emotional reasons to support a bike shop

Someone can support a place like an LBS because they dont know how to fix their bike and they break it a lot.
Someone can support a place like an LBS because they want to shop in person for soft goods versus buying online.
Someone can support a place like an LBS because they like the convenience of having product right away instead of 2 days to 2 weeks thru buying online.
All those are pragmatic/practical reasons to support a bike shop

Both groups of examples are an individual supporting a bike shop. And if there is only 1 bike shop in town, you dislike it, but you need a new tube right away- when you buy the tube, you are supporting that bike shop. It may feel like involuntary support(its still technically voluntary because you could choose not to ride), but its support none the less.

Fun talk about words and what they mean to each of us. All it takes is a recycled thread to make for fun discussion on how words mean different things to each of us.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-26-19, 09:22 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 01:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.