Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Best $600 city bike that won't need an upgrade

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 06:27 AM
MichaelTapp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,

I'm looking for a $600 single speed track bike that won't need any big upgrades. I originally started looking at $350 bikes and I realized I'd probably end up getting new tires, brakes, etc. So I might as well fork over the dough now. With that being said, I live in NYC and I'm not going to invest too much $ in my bike. One day it will get jacked. I am going to be commuting in Brooklyn and I'll also be doing laps in Prospect Park. There is a hill in the park, but I climbed a similar hill on 60 gear inches and it wasn't that bad.

Someone rec a Specialized Langster because I wouldn't need to upgrade it. I've taken a Felt Brougham for a spin and I really liked that one. Can you rec any other solid bikes that already come with good wheels and components? Thank you!

Last edited by MichaelTapp; 05-07-15 at 08:03 AM. Reason: details
Old 05-07-15, 06:31 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,669 Times in 2,161 Posts
I'd find an old bike to turn into a single speed if I lived in NYC.
Old 05-07-15, 07:30 AM
hardboiled718

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
oh look, it's another one of these threads...
Old 05-07-15, 07:32 AM
MichaelTapp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hardboiled718
oh look, it's another one of these threads...
I checked out the sticky before I posted. Please link it up if you know of any similar threads! Thank you.
Old 05-07-15, 07:52 AM
hardboiled718

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
$600 is a decent budget and there are a lot of good fixed gear bikes in that price range that probably won't need immediate upgrades on parts due to being worn out or broken unless you plan on intentionally running over potholes or curbs. Any bike you already have experience with and enjoy like the felt should be top on the list, whatever we tell you doesn't compare to your first hand experience of riding the bike. Go to a shop and test ride some bikes if you can. everyone's preferences are different and you didn't specify much about what you're familiar with or what you're looking for other than a track bike for city riding, which is kind of contradictory.
Old 05-07-15, 07:57 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
#kilott
Old 05-07-15, 08:03 AM
MichaelTapp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! This is helpful.

I am going to be commuting in Brooklyn and I'll also be doing laps in Prospect Park. There is a hill in the park, but I climbed a similar hill on 60 gear inches and it wasn't that bad.

I've heard great things about the KiloTT but they don't have a distributor in NYC. I want someone to help me setup my new bike and I'd like to start a relationship with a bike shop.
Old 05-07-15, 08:14 AM
Z3BR4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Fyxation Eastside that I've been happy with. I have admittedly changed the crank, but I'm a heavier rider (220) and the stock cranks were a bit spongy for me. The crank it comes with is pretty similar to the Eightinch crank. With the Eastside you're at least getting branded parts, I think with their "pixel" model you are getting a lot of the unbranded stuff.

For a slightly higher price you could afford yourself a Wabi and you'd probably be fine without upgrading a single thing. Seems like you get a lot of quality stuff on those complete bikes.
Old 05-07-15, 08:18 AM
franswa

Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
#fujifeather
Old 05-07-15, 09:58 AM
nightfly

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Basically any bike will work. The biggest hill you will encounter is Prospect Park or the north end of Central Park or Jersey if you make it out to the 9w at which point you might want some gears if you are doing long rides.

You really just need to figure out what you want. I live in the same area as you and I've had two conversions, a Bianchi Pista, a Redline 925 and now a Soma Rush, they all work fine, just a question of taste/preference.

My first thought would be to hit up Craigslist and see if there is anything that strikes your fancy and will fit. Lots of people buy fixed gears because they are trendy spend a bunch of money upgrading them and then sell or have to move or whatever.

Any pre-built bike for that money is going to have basically the same components. Adequate but not too exciting (some sort of Alex rims with Formula hubs, Truvativ cranks and various generic bits) which might be fine. Kilo TT is always recommended because you are basically not paying the dealer mark up as you are buying direct.

If you buy a nice krytonite and aren't stupid about where you leave it and for how long, it might not get jacked. Just depends on how much energy you want to spend worrying about it.
Old 05-07-15, 10:07 AM
nightfly

Quick Craigslist search, I'd say stretch your budget or offer the guy $600 if it would fit you:

2007 Jamis Sputnik Fixed Gear 55cm

Take those spacers out and flip the stem and you would have a pretty sweet ride that would blow any current $600 bike out of the water.
Old 05-07-15, 10:10 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
I really don't understand the concept of buying a nice bike if you expect it to be jacked. If that is really a probable eventuality, I would get the cheapest, ugliest beater that would get the job done and use it for a lockup bike when commuting or whenever this scenario is present. Then, I'd get a second really nice bike for pleasure riding where theft is not a problem.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-07-15, 10:13 AM
MichaelTapp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nightfly
Quick Craigslist search, I'd say stretch your budget or offer the guy $600 if it would fit you:

2007 Jamis Sputnik Fixed Gear 55cm

Take those spacers out and flip the stem and you would have a pretty sweet ride that would blow any current $600 bike out of the water.
Thanks man! I'm 5'7, so a 55cm is pushing it but I'm going to try and take that bike for a spin. Thanks again for the tip!
Old 05-07-15, 10:22 AM
nightfly

Only bummer is the guy is in Connecticut. He says he's 5'9 with a 31" inseam and it fits him "perfectly", but the way he has the bike set up, it looks like it's too small for him, judging by the seatpost height and the spacers and stem.

Good luck. The Phil hubs alone are probably worth half the price of the bike. But fit is the most crucial thing.

Originally Posted by MichaelTapp
Thanks man! I'm 5'7, so a 55cm is pushing it but I'm going to try and take that bike for a spin. Thanks again for the tip!
Old 05-07-15, 11:08 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've heard great things about the KiloTT but they don't have a distributor in NYC. I want someone to help me setup my new bike and I'd like to start a relationship with a bike shop.
$600 budget gets you a Kilo with $200 left over to take to a shop for assembly/tuning/fit. Provided the shop doesn't take offense that you bought from the internet.
Old 05-07-15, 11:09 AM
MichaelTapp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea, I'd like to establish a good relationship with a shop. If I order it from Bikes direct isn't it going to come in pieces in a box? That would be a pain in the ass to schlep to a bike shop. One of the reason I am getting a bike is because I don't own an automobile.

Last edited by MichaelTapp; 05-07-15 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-07-15, 11:26 AM
IAmSam

Liked 275 Times in 137 Posts
The Kilo salesmen are out today

Where you guys been lately? For awhile there I was almost thinking that Wabi is the new KiloTT, hehe

Considering the messlife culture & its hangers-on there, has got to be shops in Manhattan where you can buy a nice sw8 fixay within your budget...

Last edited by IAmSam; 05-07-15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-07-15, 11:36 AM
icepik1234

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, I'd like to establish a good relationship with a shop. If I order it from Bikes direct isn't it going to come in pieces in a box? That would be a pain in the ass to schlep to a bike shop. One of the reason I am getting a bike is because I don't own an automobile.
for the record, it will come assembled minus the front wheel and handlebars. Took my girlfriend all of 10 minutes to assemble and she knows nothing about bikes. 5 of those minutes were taking it out of the packaging.

If $600 is your max budget you may want to look into a slightly cheaper bike. If youre commuting in NYC there are going to be other things you will want to purchase:
helmet
water bottle + cage
heavy duty lock if not two
bag

Just something to keep in mind.

I would recommend going to a couple local bike shops and asking what they recommend. I am sure there are a few NYC folks on here than can point you in the right direction as far as good shops. I would assume that most of the shops would have quite a lot of experience with people looking for the same thing you are.
Old 05-07-15, 11:41 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Where you guys been lately? For awhile there I was almost thinking that Wabi is the new KiloTT, hehe
It is completely governed by the price range.
Old 05-07-15, 11:59 AM
IAmSam

Liked 275 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
It is completely governed by the price range.
Really? That's it?

Originally Posted by icepik1234
for the record, it will come assembled minus the front wheel and handlebars. Took my girlfriend all of 10 minutes to assemble and she knows nothing about bikes. 5 of those minutes were taking it out of the packaging.
If all that she (or you) did was throw on the front wheel and clamp on the handlebar, and you value her company...

Do yourselves a favor and learn more about what else should be done when assembling a new Bikesdirect bike, or since apparently neither of you knows what you are doing, plz take that bike to a shop to be checked out...
Old 05-07-15, 12:42 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by icepik1234
Old 05-07-15, 01:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Shut off the computer and go to the Bike Shops they can do upgrades and changes to a bike before you take it Home.

so all you have to do Is Pay the Bill..
Old 05-07-15, 01:26 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Really? That's it?
Yep, the kiloTT and Wabi hashtags get generated by an algorithm that simply matches dollar amounts to those bikes.
Old 05-07-15, 02:53 PM
Mailman44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You been over to Red Hook to check out The Tribe bicycle company? The Chelsea model looks like a very nice bicycle.
Old 05-08-15, 08:44 AM
oneidabow1

Bikes: Raliegh Rush Hour, Trek Earl, Raleigh Venture, Schwinn Spitfire (refurbishing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at the Raleigh Rush Hour. Under $600 I believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.