Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I just got my first pair of bike shorts, and WOW they're uncomfortable!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 02:04 AM
Kertrek

Bikes: Trek 7000, Specialized Allez & Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought my first nice bike off Craigslist, and got a pair of bike shorts to try 'em out (which I did NOT buy off Craigslist, of course). But these things have no space for my genitalia. Like when a certain sub-culture of women are into the chest binding thing to flatten their chest and give them a tomboyish appearance...these shorts are doing the same thing to my junk and it doesn't feel too comfortable. And it doesn't lead to a very enjoyable bike ride. They weren't particularly cheap shorts, they were marked down to $50 at Performance Bike.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for Men's bike shorts that aren't so damn tight in the crotch region? 'Cause these shorts I'd recently bought are torture. I doubt I really need shorts with chamois padding anywhere but the sitbones and perineum. And if your bike seat is adjusted properly, I doubt anyone needs chamois padding covering their privates. Oh, and are stores cool about letting you try on shorts over underwear?
Old 06-01-15, 02:18 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 513 Posts
Your money, your body, but the BEST shorts I have are from Sugoi. Costly but comfy. Mens Bike ? tagged "type_shorts--bibs" ? SUGOI Performance Apparel

IMO, any short that allows me to pedal 112 non stop miles for an Ironman event are better than average.
Old 06-01-15, 02:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Um ... wouldn't it have made more sense to buy some that you could try on first?

When I decided I wanted a comfortable pair for long distance cycling, I went round to all my LBSs and MEC and tried on everything they had. I stood in them, sat in them, crouched in them, moved my legs in a pedalling motion in them.

Then I bought the most comfortable pair. I've been wearing that brand ever since. I'm hoping to get another 2 or 3 pair again soon.
Old 06-01-15, 02:46 AM
GFish

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is you have the wrong size. And you can try before buying, just wear underwear underneath.

For any serious rides, bike shorts are a must to eliminate hot spots and reduce friction.

As you're finding out, not all shorts are comfortable. Generally speaking, the more you spend the better quality chamois and material. So I have shorts I consider comfortable on 20 mile rides, 50 mile shorts and 100 mile shorts. From my perspective, comfortable bike shorts start at $100 and go up in cost.
Old 06-01-15, 04:52 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I find the Performance Ultra and Elite shorts/bibs to be excellent, and great values.
Old 06-01-15, 05:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 5,804 Times in 2,934 Posts
Try one size larger.
Old 06-01-15, 06:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Bent riders dont have to by uncomfortable shorts to protect them from their bikes. Hmmmm uncomfortabe bike and uncomfortable shorts, seem like a lose lose situation to me.
Old 06-01-15, 06:34 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Why not go back to the clothes you wore before the cycling shorts? You can ride in those until you decide your regular clothing doesn't work for you. You know, like when you think, during or after a ride; I would be better off if my clothing was that way instead of this way. Riding shorts are really just clothing without seams in the places cyclists wouldn't want them.

Harv
Old 06-01-15, 07:15 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have several different brand shorts, some are more comfortable than others, but i do not have any that are uncomfortable...I don't even notice them after about 5 minutes into a ride...
Old 06-01-15, 07:25 AM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mine are very comfortable. My "junk" is not the smallest, and my bike shorts are not the most expensive!

Like many have said, go to the store and try different models and sizes. They should not mind if you keep your underwear on. I am sure you will find something comfortable.

And BTW, I assume you know you are not supposed to wear them with underwear, otherwise that can contribute to feeling bunched up.
Old 06-01-15, 07:37 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Try one size up.
Old 06-01-15, 07:54 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also try... repositioning... so that "you're" in the 12 o'clock position instead of the 6 o'clock position.

I also think that you bought shorts one size too small.
Old 06-01-15, 08:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
So, You are used to wearing baggy boxers not tighty whities?
Old 06-01-15, 08:22 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
so, you are used to wearing baggy boxers not tighty whities?
+1. Lol.
Old 06-01-15, 08:28 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Some people don't need/ use bikeshorts. You may be one of them. Are you uber light? That could be a factor. How many miles do you ride?

Since I've lost some weight, I can now go 20 miles on just lube and standard clothing so I can save my shorts for longer rides and not wash them 3 times a week.
Old 06-01-15, 09:26 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I have some Performance brand shorts and they are alright. They run a little small I have found. I prefer Pearl Izumi when they are on sale. My favorite pairs of chamois are Pearl Izumi and I got them at $24.99 a piece on line on a huge blowout. One of the best purchases I have made the entire time I have been cycling. Sugoi are not bad either if you are looking for other brands. One brand I have are Fox and they are not comfortable at all.
Old 06-01-15, 10:35 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Try mountain bike shorts, much more comfortable.
Old 06-01-15, 05:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 810 Posts
Seriously, recommendations are fine, but you just need to try some on. Since you're using Performance, if you're doing mail order, just order 3-4 different pair, try them and return the ones you don't like. Yea, you'll pay some extra postage, but (1) bike shorts are lightweight so you can get quite a few of them in a medium flat rate box and (2) so, that's just the extra price you have to pay to get what you need.

That said, the Performance house brands of bib shorts called Ultra and Elite work very well for me. When I bought them, I also ordered some Gore, Sugai, Pearl Izumi and I've also tried Louis Garneau. I mainly use the Performance and have found some Castelli I like a lot.

Again, you have to try them on, there's no alternative.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-01-15 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 05:17 PM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The part of the chamois that is in front of the shorts and covers the boys isn't there for padding (I'm pretty sure no one wants to ride there) it's a modesty panel, because w/o it there wouldn't be much left to the imagination (think how little here is now it would be 10x worse).
Old 06-01-15, 05:19 PM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Seriously, recommendations are fine, but you just need to try some on. Since you're using Performance, if you're doing mail order, just order 3-4 different pair, try them and return the ones you don't like. Yea, you'll pay some extra postage, but (1) bike shorts are lightweight so you can get quite a few of them in a medium flat rate box and (2) so, that's just the extra price you have to pay to get what you need.

That said, the Performance house brands called Ultra and Elite work very well for me. When I bought them, I also ordered some Gore, Sugai, Pearl Izumi and I've also tried Louis Garneau. I mainly use the Performance and have found some Castelli I like a lot.

Again, you have to try them on, there's no alternative.
I agree, Performance Ultra and Castelli's are my favorite bibs. The Performance brands are an excellent value/quality for the price.
Old 06-01-15, 05:42 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i swear i saw a cylist with his helmet on backwards the other day...
Old 06-01-15, 08:02 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Buy a Brooks saddle and pitch the riding shorts

Old 06-01-15, 08:28 PM
Midtown

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe try these;

Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - Padded Under*Shorts
Old 06-01-15, 09:17 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fastk9dad
The part of the chamois that is in front of the shorts and covers the boys isn't there for padding (I'm pretty sure no one wants to ride there) it's a modesty panel, because w/o it there wouldn't be much left to the imagination (think how little here is now it would be 10x worse).
You know the material that girls stretchy pants are made out of that is perfectly see-through when stretched. Yeah these are made of pretty much the same stuff. So yes, modesty panel, good idea.
Old 06-01-15, 09:17 PM
Bill

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I fully understand the discomfort issue, and I have been riding for 20 years. I have a hard time finding comfortable shorts, not so much for when I ride but when I am walking around or going up and down stairs. The chamois for me clings to the boys in a place that makes them ache. Often, once I get on the bike, I am ok. It's when I am doing other things when I am wearing them. Actually, I often grab my crotch when I am going up and down stairs. It's also a problem when I am stretching. It does help when I wear something under them, like a speedo. But I don't do that because of what people say about wearing anything under your shorts, although back in the day I would wear a speedo under my shorts for rides that lasted for 160 miles without problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.