Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

XTR versus XT (for 2005)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

XTR versus XT (for 2005)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 07:48 AM
Arif

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
XTR versus XT (for 2005)

Hi all.

I've done the search, etc - and had indeed found a good amount of stuff that relates to the title.

However - it's come past the second quarter of 2005 now - and I'm after your opinions on XTR versus XT. I'm thinking mainly in terms of rear derailleurs, gear-shifters, and hydraulic braking.

1) Is it still your collective opinion that XTR is less durable/long-lasting/rugged/able to take abuse than XT (because XTR is race-bred, with all that that means, in terms of compromises)?

2) Speaking of the M525 hydraulic brakes - what advantage(s) would the XT brakes have over these, if one only ever does XC-riding? I understand four-pots is one difference at least?

Additionally - does anyone have any advice on which brand of pads to go for?! I hear so many conflicting things about 'big' brand names, e.g. EBC or Shimano.

P.s. I have noticed a lot of anti-Shimano sentiment out there - but please do respond to this post as asked. I'm only interested in the types and brands mentioned.

Thanks in advance to all of you for your responses!!

Arif
Old 04-25-05, 08:51 AM
Dirtbike
Giggity giggity!

Bikes: Yeti DJ Custom build. X.9, Marzocchi, RaceFace, Gamut, DT, Truvativ, Michelin, Hope.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Screw shimano. Go SRAM X.0

I dont think that the money for XTR is worth it, mostly because I will destroy a derailluer before it is all worn out. SRAM also shifts alot better. The SRAM 1:1 allows for a firmer return spring that shifts way better in muddy, sandy conditions.

As for pads, I would just go with stock pads. As for brakes, I recommend Hope Mono Minis.

The 525 are OEM brakes, and arent very good. The XT set is alot more powerful.

My new build is going to have Hope minis, sram x.9 med cage derailluer, and x.7 shifter
Old 04-25-05, 09:35 AM
sparks_219 

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arif
1) Is it still your collective opinion that XTR is less durable/long-lasting/rugged/able to take abuse than XT (because XTR is race-bred, with all that that means, in terms of compromises)?
Usually XTR is lighter, but I haven't had any problem with my XTR rear deraileur yet.

2) Speaking of the M525 hydraulic brakes - what advantage(s) would the XT brakes have over these, if one only ever does XC-riding? I understand four-pots is one difference at least?
Only older XT calipers are 4 pot design, and for 2005, there is basically no difference in price or performance between XT to XTR level disc brakes. You save maybe 100 grams going with the XTR disc brake setup.

Other than brakes, I feel there is too much price difference to justify the minimal performance gain (if any). That's why I went with XT dual control levers myself.

Additionally - does anyone have any advice on which brand of pads to go for?! I hear so many conflicting things about 'big' brand names, e.g. EBC or Shimano.
2005 Shimano brakes comes with 2 sets of brake pads of your choice. Resin pads are fairly powerful with excellent modulation at very light weight. The metallic pads weigh twice as much as the rasin pads, offer much more braking power at the expense of modulation.

I personally went with a Shimano setup because my LBS told me they can get parts much easier for Shimano and Hayes brakes, where as replacement parts are almost non-existant with Hope Mono Minis.

Hope this helps

Ming
Old 04-25-05, 09:52 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtbike
Screw shimano. Go SRAM X.0

I dont think that the money for XTR is worth it, mostly because I will destroy a derailluer before it is all worn out. SRAM also shifts alot better. The SRAM 1:1 allows for a firmer return spring that shifts way better in muddy, sandy conditions.

As for pads, I would just go with stock pads. As for brakes, I recommend Hope Mono Minis.

The 525 are OEM brakes, and arent very good. The XT set is alot more powerful.

My new build is going to have Hope minis, sram x.9 med cage derailluer, and x.7 shifter

Ohh such constructive posting.

IS XTR worth it over XT?

Depends on what you want. Do you want the best shifting, braking performance, the stiffest cranks and the lightest dual control shifters? Yes, then XTR is your group.
If you want a groupset that has most of the performance benefits at a lower price due to different manufacturing and higher production volume, then get XT. For most people the differences aren;t that marked but for a XC racer the 300-400gr saving is definaltey worth it.

BR 525 are ok brakes. They work. However XT is certainly in another league.

For 95% of the riders ou there, XT is the best groupset in the price performance ratio.

SRAM is good but not as good as people make it out. Because it's different and American everyone thinks it must be brilliant, but just like the Hand made in America slogan has been successful in achieving the perception that that's better, the truth is usually not what everyone wants to hear. and that is that the stuff from japan, taiwan and china is usually of better quality and lower cost..
Old 04-25-05, 12:15 PM
erhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there is not much difference between XT and XTR components in terms of their mechanisms, and their durability. You should also consider that XTR is built for XC racing, and too much abusing may not be good at all. If you have the money it is worth getting the XTR only for the extra weight savings. I used the XT760 components, and I didn't have any durability problems, except the derailleur pulleys seemed to be wearing fast, and I loved the dual-control shifters. Then I replaced them to SRAM, however i won't go into that since you are not interested.