Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is your folding bike your only bike?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 08:07 AM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is your folder your only bike, or you have a "main" or some would call a "real" bike. If it's not, which do you ride more and which you enjoy more? Overall, not just talking about the compactness and the convenience of being bimodal with a folder. I have a 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a and a 2015 Trek 7.2fx and I think i enjoy riding the Vybe more, and for some weird reason i think i am faster on it though the computer says otherwise. I'm not sure why some people would say get a "real" bike when you have a folder. I'm pretty sure there are some commuters that have a folder as their main or only bike. I only got to biking and only average about 10mph as the computer says. I'm in NY,so there a lot of hills that affect my average too.
Old 10-23-15, 08:43 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I'm mainly a mountain biker, so in addition to my Dahon Mu P27 I also have a (heavily modified) Rockrider 8.2. I also have a cheap Triban 300 road bike, for days when I don't want to wrestle with mud. The Triban 300 is definitely faster than the Dahon on pavement.

Most of my km are done on my mountain bike and some on the road bike with the Dahon used for commuting or while I'm travelling and don't want to carry a full size bike with me.

Nontheless, I'm completely in love with my Dahon. It's a really capable bike and I've done long rides on it several times (82km is my current record on it).
Old 10-23-15, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
No.. But I can park My Folded Brompton inside, at the Pub.

Its the 1st one nearest the door at Home .

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-04-15 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 11:53 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 244 Posts
I still have a non-folding mountain bike, but I have not ridden it in years.
Old 10-23-15, 03:11 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have Norco Fiori 8 folding bike with 20" wheels. This is my only bike and is used for 20km of commuting to work. I don't have any desire to have a "real" bike. Swapped the derailleur for an Nexus 8 this year, which has reduced the fiddly maintenance for winter riding. The responsive/twitchy feel of the bike makes me feel like I'm riding faster that I am. Strava says I average the low 20 kms/hr but without traffic lights it would probably be in the high 20 kms/hr. This is plenty fast enough to get comments from other commuters about "how fast that little thing goes". The only other bikes that I desire are 1) a Brompton that I can pack in my luggage for travel and 2) a velomobile. Should have a Brompton in a month or two, the velomobile will have to wait until I win the lottery.
Old 10-23-15, 06:38 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I had a 1997 Trek 720 I restored and I enjoyed riding it but it was not completely practical for me, as I could not take it on Bart because I couldn't schlep it up stairs. I decided I wanted a folding bike and considered both a brompton and bike friday. After riding one of each, I decided I didn't like the smaller wheels on the brompton on our lousy city streets. I was lucky enough to snag a perfect fit BF Pocket Metro from 2003 off a guy in Southern Cal who shipped it to me. After a few weeks, I sold my Trek. The BF rides every bit as sweet as my Trek did but it is easier to use in city life. Grocery stores let me roll it right in and load up my basket, no locking. In fact, the only time I take a lock with me now is when I go to the gym (they don't have space indoors for bikes). If I don't look down, I feel like I'm still riding my Trek, same geometry and feel with the narrower Marathon racer tires. I'm pretty sure this will be my last bike - when my knees finally give out I'll put a small motor on it and keep on riding =)
Old 10-23-15, 08:07 PM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have three titanium Serotta bikes and one folder. For long recreational rides, up to 30 miles, I ride my road bikes.
Old 10-24-15, 02:12 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No my folding bike is not my only folding bike. I have other folders!!
I exclusively ride folders. I have a fast road race type upgraded mezzo and I am currently using a touring birdie as my go to bike. I have a stripped down birdy with big apples and a thudbuster for off road.
Then I have a BMW which is practically a "normal" mountain bike. But it does feature a quick release joint at the rear suspension to do a rear wheel fold in place of the removed front wheel fold. Like a airaminal.
I do own a regular MBT thats not recieved any TLC, which other family members ride. Maybe I should get rid...

.own other folders but I need to sell a few..........
Old 10-24-15, 03:10 AM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Brompton S6L as my keep fit bike for small rides around town..I have an old Phillips (Dahon) 8 speed folder which I use when the sun shines ,a Bike Friday New World Tourist that I have taken around the world on many occasions..I do not ride it much now but would never sell it..It is like an old friend..I have a Thorn XTC touring bike for summer Sunday rides and a Trek 920 mountain bike but now a with drop bars as a winter bike ...and the Trek is another bike I will never part with...Oh..forgot..I have a Ridgeback folding bike in Thailand also..The Brompton has been to Thailand once..The Bike Friday has been on 4 continents...and 22 countries I think..and the Trek is also well travelled...USA and Europe..
Old 10-24-15, 10:15 AM
ilynne
Free and Self-Reliant

Bikes: Retrovelo Paula, 3 Speed Brompton, Rivendell Cheviot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, but if I could only keep one bike, it would be my Brompton. It's my most reached for bike.
Old 10-24-15, 03:04 PM
sdwphoto

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoom26
Is your folder your only bike, .

No,I have three road bikes,all originaly bought by me some 50 years ago.Two Raliegh pro's, and a Rickert, i also have a panasonic touring bike and a citizen folder.But my Brompton is the only bike I ever use now
Old 10-24-15, 09:49 PM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heh nice to get replies from all of you! thanks for all your feedback guys. and I thought I was bad with 3 bikes on me
Old 10-24-15, 11:24 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I commute full time by bike, used to be 60km+ round trip per day, but I moved to cut the time in half as I was spending too much time each day just commuting. Now it's 35km round trip.

Anyway, I reached the conclusion that for having to rely on the bikes, I need 3 bikes. It has happened quite often that one bike would be undergoing major work, and a 2nd bike got something small like a puncture at an inconvenient moment, requiring the 3rd bike to be ready for service. So, 3 minimum.

I also found that more bikes meant more time spent working on them, as I want my bikes to be in 100% working condition plus very clean. So, I want as few bikes as possible, that means 3.

Of course, when one acquires 2 Ti Swifts, plus a Helix on order, then n+1 gets in the way of merely 3 bikes... 6 currently, 4 in active use, all small wheels. They are like chocolates, one is not enough and every one is different. At least they aren't fattening...
Old 10-25-15, 06:17 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 605 Posts
I own a few. I recently sold my Xootr Swift, and I gave my son my Schwin 26" igh bike. I own 2 folders now, and of all the bikes I own I wouldn't sell/trade/give away either. The Xootr just wasn't a small enough fold for my usage.
Old 10-25-15, 09:07 PM
LA2JAX
Over the hill

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two Bromptons almost exclusively for travel (occasionally I ride one to Walmart and put it in the cart), a Surly Ogre with fenders and racks for everyday commuting (and with studded tires in winter months), a Fatback snow bike (unstudded) for the heart of winter, and a single speed Surly Karate Monkey with no racks or fenders for a fun ride on dry pavement.
Old 10-26-15, 04:27 AM
burnfatburn

Bikes: Doppleganger M6 series 20 inch steel foldingbike and a Custom Minivelo Tandem

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a folding bike, and a rigid mountain bike (touring setup) and currently building a cargo bike.

I use the folding bike and the mtb ocassionally, for some morning ride or commuting
Old 10-26-15, 05:14 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I ride my TiRush recumbent and Catrike more than my Bike Friday Llama. My daughter and I do ride our Bike Friday tandem rather frequently, but still less often than I ride the recumbents.
Old 10-26-15, 08:52 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
"Is your folding bike your only bike?"

No. In addition to my Brompton; I also own a BMC roadbike.
2014 BMC GF02 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

42nd st., New York City by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 10-27-15, 01:00 PM
zoom26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
"Is your folding bike your only bike?"

No. In addition to my Brompton; I also own a BMC roadbike.
2014 BMC GF02 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

42nd st., New York City by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Nice looking bikes you got there sir, i like biking around nyc whenever i have a chance. Takes me about 1hr 30mins / 14mi to get to midtown coming from the bronx hehehe
Old 10-27-15, 01:03 PM
zoom26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I commute full time by bike, used to be 60km+ round trip per day, but I moved to cut the time in half as I was spending too much time each day just commuting. Now it's 35km round trip.

Anyway, I reached the conclusion that for having to rely on the bikes, I need 3 bikes. It has happened quite often that one bike would be undergoing major work, and a 2nd bike got something small like a puncture at an inconvenient moment, requiring the 3rd bike to be ready for service. So, 3 minimum.

I also found that more bikes meant more time spent working on them, as I want my bikes to be in 100% working condition plus very clean. So, I want as few bikes as possible, that means 3.

Of course, when one acquires 2 Ti Swifts, plus a Helix on order, then n+1 gets in the way of merely 3 bikes... 6 currently, 4 in active use, all small wheels. They are like chocolates, one is not enough and every one is different. At least they aren't fattening...
I forgot to mention that i do have another bike, a Target-purchased Schwin Ranger 26" bike. It's a front suspension steel frame mountain bike that weighs a lot! Though it is still fun and it's been with me for about 5+ years now and still in prime condition except for the cassette that i saw with a/some missing/broken tooth/s. Had a super-low cassette installed into it, and reserving the bike for the winter.
Old 10-27-15, 01:04 PM
zoom26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdwphoto
No,I have three road bikes,all originaly bought by me some 50 years ago.Two Raliegh pro's, and a Rickert, i also have a panasonic touring bike and a citizen folder.But my Brompton is the only bike I ever use now
How are the citizen's? Was looking into them before, but liked the idea of the dahon that i can go to a LBS and get it with their lifetime warranties/tune-ups.
Old 10-27-15, 08:34 PM
Shahmatt

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Foldies are real bikes.

My average speed is around 6mph, but that's because I walk around so much while pushing it around.
Old 10-29-15, 01:46 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
How are the citizen's? Was looking into them before, but liked the idea of the dahon that i can go to a LBS and get it with their lifetime warranties/tune-ups.
My brother's family in California has 3 of them(Citizen Tokyo) and seems happy with them.
I bought a used one when I booked a trip and felt the position was a bit weird. The handle
bar height was adjustable. As well as the seat's for and aft position(but never bothered).
Even with the metal fenders removed(as well as the alloy kickstand); it felt heavy. Steel
frame. I'm over 200 pounds and they handled the little bit of off road riding I did okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUUC...3&spfreload=10
Old 10-29-15, 01:49 PM
sdwphoto

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Citizen Miami that I like a lot for the price .,it weights about 30 lbs costs only 199 or so plus $30 shipping anywhere in the US.I rode it alot before I got my Brompton ,so I have folders at both ends of the price range, and I thought (and still do)it is a great bike for getting around town.It's faster than my Brompton because of the gearing and well made .Once folded it is one of the easiest folders I have found to push around when shopping, you leave the handle bars up and the seat. stand behind it and tilt it back with right hand under seat and left on handle bars and just push.Also the wheels don't come apart because of the ball and socket catch Citizen uses instead of a magnet like Dahon.It's not the ride of a Brompton but It's not bad either and I still use it quite abit.If you are thinking about buying one and find you don't like it you can always sell it or donate it to charity and get the write off.
However if you are serious about Dahon they make good bikes that will give a better ride than a citizen but for a much higher price and if you want to go all the way and try a Brompton than the cost goes way up.My advice would be to fing some one who owns each of these bikes and test ride them or find a dahon dealer and Brompton dealer for a test ride.Citizen is also sold thru different stores and you could atleast ride it around the aisles to get and idea.
Old 10-30-15, 06:44 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
My brother's family in California has 3 of them(Citizen Tokyo) and seems happy with them.
I bought a used one when I booked a trip and felt the position was a bit weird. The handle
bar height was adjustable. As well as the seat's for and aft position(but never bothered).
Even with the metal fenders removed(as well as the alloy kickstand); it felt heavy. Steel
frame. I'm over 200 pounds and they handled the little bit of off road riding I did okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUUC...3&spfreload=10
The first minute of your video is a few blocks from my house!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.