Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do you like your Colnago?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15, 06:54 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Bought a new-to-me C59 frameset recently and finished building up over the last a few weeks. Here it is:

Rode the first time today to and from work... it's so smooth, and on rails. I am hooked, and am sure will continue to be surprised in the coming days. A long ride planned for this weekend with some good climbing.

For all you Colnago owners, what are the things you like about your Colnago?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Nago.jpg (99.5 KB, 827 views)
Old 12-04-15, 06:56 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
BTW, I can assure you the saddle is level. Just the angle of the shot made it look like tilted downward.
Old 12-04-15, 07:29 PM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i dont like it....I LOVE my colnago!!
Old 12-04-15, 09:34 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I don't own one and can't put into words but they do appeal to me from a beauty standpoint more than any other brand.
Old 12-05-15, 12:56 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Your garage door is not white.

Frankly, I haven't met anybody with a Pinarello that doesn't like that either. Ride it in good health.
Old 12-05-15, 04:53 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As Colnagos (Colnaghi?) go, that one looks rather plain, but sounds like it's still a Good Times bike - who else remembers custom painted vans from the '70s?
Old 12-05-15, 08:40 AM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
As Colnagos (Colnaghi?) go, that one looks rather plain, but sounds like it's still a Good Times bike - who else remembers custom painted vans from the '70s?
It was a good deal on a frame that I can't pass up, so I didn't really have much of a choice. I got it mostly because I heard so much about the Colnago magic carpet ride quality and want to try it myself. It's taking the place of the Cannondale EVO hi-mod in the stable, and their ride quality cannot be more different judging from my one day commute experience. Cant' wait for the long ride tomorrow and see how it climbs compare to the Cdale EVO which was a super lightweight race horse of a bike. I guess that's all it matters at the end of the day, getting a bike that you can't wait to ride it. Hopefully it lives up to its reputation and my expectation.
Old 12-05-15, 08:53 AM
Ridelots24
Clinging to guns/religion

Bikes: Litspd Cyx/ Paragon/ LHT/ Madone 5.2/ Spclzd TT/ Boone/ Lynskey 27.5/ Pugs / Colnago CLX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To like Colnago's you have to be at least 49 yrs old..... which i am...
Old 12-05-15, 09:03 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
The racing heritage. I bought my '77 Super from a guy who built and raced it as a teen in 1978, setting a state record in JR Men's. He put it away and didnt ride it for decades....I got it last July and the restoration was a dream. It doesnt ride, it glides. Full Campy and Cinelli, it's my gentleman's racer.

Old 12-05-15, 12:54 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I got my Colnago Super in 1997 for $220. It rides amazingly, and holds tremendous sentimental value. Its upgraded to 11 speed, with an 11 tooth cog that I occasionally use, along with WI T11 hubs, which are quite nice.
Old 12-05-15, 01:15 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 162 Posts
I would love to try a Colnago as I've read it has a soul like no other. I love my Pinarello, but I would like to do a compare and contrast with its Colnago peer to see how they differ.
Old 12-05-15, 01:19 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
What liked about my Colnago was that it was a very balanced frame. Stiff, but not do much that killed you. Great handling without being twitchy.
Old 12-05-15, 07:31 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was first attracted to Colnago by the looks and the fact that they are rare where I live. Mine fits me perfectly and is the best riding bike that I have been on. It is understated and elegant looking. I like most Italian bikes but there is just something special about Colnago.
Old 12-05-15, 08:37 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11038 Post(s)
Liked 4,778 Times in 2,178 Posts
2016 Colnago Arabesque lugged steel Road bike Frame & Fork White [fara54rh] - $3,799.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

The 2016 Arabesque

Old 12-06-15, 06:41 AM
Vince Canepa 

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
It was a good deal on a frame that I can't pass up, so I didn't really have much of a choice. I got it mostly because I heard so much about the Colnago magic carpet ride quality and want to try it myself. It's taking the place of the Cannondale EVO hi-mod in the stable, and their ride quality cannot be more different judging from my one day commute experience. Cant' wait for the long ride tomorrow and see how it climbs compare to the Cdale EVO which was a super lightweight race horse of a bike. I guess that's all it matters at the end of the day, getting a bike that you can't wait to ride it. Hopefully it lives up to its reputation and my expectation.
I am very interested in your experience after a few more miles. A few years ago I was talking with the dealer in Georgetown (DC) and he talked me out of a C59, saying it was too stiff and punishing. I eventually bought a Cannonade Supersix Evo Red Racing (the early version that came with tubulars). Reports always comment that the Evo has a very complaint ride for a race bike and my experience confirms that. I still feel the draw of a Colnago though and would very much like to hear the comparison from someone who has experience with both.
2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain" #7338, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" #5935 (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce (wife's)
Old 12-06-15, 09:24 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
God, man...that thing is gorgeous!
Old 12-06-15, 10:39 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
God, man...that thing is gorgeous!
The current issue of Velo has a good review. They agree it's gorgeous. They describe the comfort as silky but handling as squirms under heavy loads, great for cruising but unsteady when crushing, and not about stiffness.

So if someone wants it for looks and taking it easy on rides, it's good.
Old 12-06-15, 11:54 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 312 Posts
I'm a Pinarello guy myself, but I like the Colnago for what it represents.

The Colnago is perhaps the most identifiable top shelf bike, and even a non cyclist will recognize the name. From a distance, they are gorgeous, but upon closer inspection, you can see the little flaws. The flaws have no effect on ride quality, but even the 2016 Arabesque holds true to the tradition. We wouldn't want it any other way.

My next frameset will probably be a new Colnago Master, but from a pure performance standpoint, I feel the Pinarello is superior as a general rule.

When I got into bicycles, the Gios, Guerciotti, Masi, Faggin, and Colnago etc. were the dream bikes, and the Colnago perhaps the most lusted after. That is why I love Colnago. More of a fantasy, not a performance based reality. The modern lugged steel offerings from Colnago are "overpriced" but that is Ok by me.

That the marque is still lusted after by cyclists half my age, speaks volumes. The Colnago mystique is very much alive. What is there not to love?
Old 12-07-15, 11:20 AM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince Canepa
I am very interested in your experience after a few more miles. A few years ago I was talking with the dealer in Georgetown (DC) and he talked me out of a C59, saying it was too stiff and punishing. I eventually bought a Cannonade Supersix Evo Red Racing (the early version that came with tubulars). Reports always comment that the Evo has a very complaint ride for a race bike and my experience confirms that. I still feel the draw of a Colnago though and would very much like to hear the comparison from someone who has experience with both.
Now that I have close to 150 miles on the Colnago with commute, flat, and some climbing; although still not that much, but enough to give me some good initial impression.

I am very surprised by what you were told by the bike shop. My personal experience of the Cdale EVO is that it's a great race/climbing bike, very light and lively, but it's not exactly an everyday bike. It's a bit twitchy (with 110mm stem), and on rough roads, you feel the EVO bounces quite a bit and can definitely feel all the bumps in the roads. Even though I don't think it feels as stiff as the Cervelo S3, but the power transfer is instantaneous, e.g. when you get out of the saddle on short punchy hills. The C59, on the other hand, rides very differently from the EVO; the one stands out the most from my first 150 miles is how muted the road feel is: I no longer try hard to avoid some of the imperfect road surfaces that I normally would with the EVO or the S3. The C59 is also more stable on cornering and descents than the EVO, your feel confident that the line you are on will be line you will hold. In terms of stiffness, I don't think it's as stiff as the EVO overall, the power transfer is not as instantaneous as the EVO, feels a bit more sluggish. Overall, the C59 has a bit of the steel bike feel: smooth but feel a tad heavy, while the EVO is a through and through modern light weight race carbon bike.

I hope to put more miles over the holidays on the C59 and see how it does.
Old 12-07-15, 11:26 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
I was first attracted to Colnago by the looks and the fact that they are rare where I live. Mine fits me perfectly and is the best riding bike that I have been on. It is understated and elegant looking. I like most Italian bikes but there is just something special about Colnago.
I bought my first one in Gainesville in 1974, at a place called Center Bike Shop...
Old 12-07-15, 11:34 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Almost went with Colnago as a replacement for my Scott after insurance paid out for the property damage. I ended up with a Titanium so I could have my "forever bike", but this thread is doing me no favors as I look for my n+1.
Old 12-07-15, 11:44 AM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some 30 years ago, I was looking to buy my grail bike, and I had come down to a choice between a Colnago, a De Rosa, and a Tommasini. I ended up buying the Tommasini, which I still ride to this day, still equipped with all of the original Campy Super Record. And a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a De Rosa for a steal of a price, equipped with much more modern mix of Campy indexed 9-speed. But at this point, I can comfortably say, I'm never going to buy a Colnago.
Old 12-07-15, 11:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,094 Times in 7,557 Posts
My Dream Plus cracked not long after I bought it. I later discovered a crack in the replacement outside the warranty.
Old 12-07-15, 11:56 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
From the movie "White Men Cant Jump" nearly 25yrs ago...
Old 12-07-15, 12:05 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 395 Posts
What's not to love? A frame that's made in an antiquated lugged and glued manner, and is 50% heavier than its comparably priced competitors?

I realize I'll be pilloried by all the Colnago owners here, but a whole lot of the love for Colnagos is based on nostalgia, and aesthetics, rather than actual performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.