Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Expensive but terrible cycling purchases

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-16, 04:23 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts

In light of the cheap thread, here's the other version,

3t Dorrico setback seatpost.... worse piece of garbage I had the displeasure of purchasing....
Old 02-26-16, 04:30 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
I bought a set of Fulcrum Racing Zero Ltd. Edition wheelset. The wheels are great but overpriced.

The problem comes when, for whatever reason, the wheels need repair. Spokes and nipples are hard to find and very expensive. If the rim bends even a little, it may need replacing (I know I happened to me). Very expensive.

This is one instance where my vanity overcame my common sense...limited edition means a pain in the arse to repair and expensive to boot.
Old 02-26-16, 05:20 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
MAVIC Ksyrium wheels that developed cracks (surprise) in the rear rim three months out of warranty...
Old 02-26-16, 08:30 PM
SevenTwentyNine

Bikes: Wheelbarrow

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapsmo911

3t Dorrico setback seatpost.... worse piece of garbage I had the displeasure of purchasing....

The actual bike itself?
Old 02-26-16, 09:55 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Campagnolo titanium BB axle back in the day ...."snap". I bought a bike for the parts, not realizing what was inside the bb.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-26-16, 10:31 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I bought SRAM Force first edition.
Old 02-26-16, 11:48 PM
just dank
Cult Classic Cycling Club

Bikes: Ridley Helium, Norco Search

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a Regal reissue saddle
Old 02-27-16, 12:58 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapsmo911

Worse than what?

Typically for me, anything from the LBS other than spare tubes.
Old 02-27-16, 05:51 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I have several pairs of Pearl Izumi Quest shorts that work very well. I figured if they worked well, the more expensive PI Assault short must be better. It was not, and was significantly worse in aspects that matter to me.
Old 02-29-16, 10:54 AM
rmfnla

Way back when I gave an Ideale 90 leather saddle a try.

I swear it got harder with every ride...
Old 02-29-16, 11:44 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Clipless pedals and shoes.

Clipless doesn't do *that* much - but the bigger problem is that my feet are a "almost wide" side. Clipless shoes you can't (or couldn't) return them once you put cleats on. The amount of agony I went through with hotspots, my knee hurting at the end of the ride, etc, when I could have just used a pair of flat shoes and had none of that...

I mean I'm not racing. I'm not saying that "no one" should use clipless, I'm just saying that for me personally with my foot size I wish I had realized earlier I could just do flats and not have to deal with all that. It really took a lot of enjoyment out of riding to know that my foot was going to hurt and go numb on the ride (even after a professional fitter, 3 pairs of shoes, 4 different shoe insert thingies, etc).

I must have spend at least $1,000 on shoes and pedals trying to get something that worked. Now I have about $150 for the flat shoes and flat pedals and it's far, far more enjoyable to ride. (If you don't have this problem, what I'm saying doesn't apply to you obviously.)
Old 03-01-16, 08:07 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Selle SMP saddle. Can't remember which specific model, but I bought it used off fleabay for something like $200. At the time I just assumed it had to be better than what I'd been using, a $25 Nashbar saddle of some sort, but it was agony for me since I hadn't learned yet that flat saddles are my preference, and I believed the online marketing hype about how comfy they are.

Saving grace was that I sold it for basically the same price I'd paid for it in the first place, minus the shipping and such.
Old 03-01-16, 08:15 AM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not expensive in absolute terms, but pretty expensive for gloves - a pair of Castellis that were really wonderful for about a month. After one season of use, they are more worn out than a pair of Pearl Izumis I've had for over seven years.
Old 03-01-16, 08:19 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, the dozens of saddles before I found the right one. Gotta love the Italians and the fi'zi:k Antares.
Old 03-01-16, 09:39 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
$120 Pro Tharsis Di2 stem. This stem works by eliminating the traditional expander and top cap and using a threaded nut at the bottom of the stem to push down on the headset bearings for tension. The fork steerer needs to be cut below the top level of the stem for the plastic cap to snap on. The problem arises with carbon steerer tubes. The stem top bolt basically cracks it if you go to the required 5 N-m. I noticed material displacement at 2.4 N-m. Also there are cut-outs around the bolts that concentrate the clamping force in a small area.

I suppose you could reinforce the inside of steerer, but there isn't much room. It is designed to work with the internal Di2 battery, which appears to add some support to the steerer, but there is nothing in the instructions about it being required (which I did read before ordering).

With the ubiquity of carbon steerers, how could you have not seen this coming, Shimano?
Old 03-01-16, 09:50 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
$120 Pro Tharsis Di2 stem. This stem works by eliminating the traditional expander and top cap and using a threaded nut at the bottom of the stem to push down on the headset bearings for tension. The fork steerer needs to be cut below the top level of the stem for the plastic cap to snap on. The problem arises with carbon steerer tubes. The stem top bolt basically cracks it if you go to the required 5 N-m. I noticed material displacement at 2.4 N-m. Also there are cut-outs around the bolts that concentrate the clamping force in a small area.

I suppose you could reinforce the inside of steerer, but there isn't much room. It is designed to work with the internal Di2 battery, which appears to add some support to the steerer, but there is nothing in the instructions about it being required (which I did read before ordering).

With the ubiquity of carbon steerers, how could you have not seen this coming, Shimano?
From your description that's definitely an example of terrible design to me..
Old 03-01-16, 09:55 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers

Clipless doesn't do *that* much - but the bigger problem is that my feet are a "almost wide" side. Clipless shoes you can't (or couldn't) return them once you put cleats on. The amount of agony I went through with hotspots, my knee hurting at the end of the ride, etc, when I could have just used a pair of flat shoes and had none of that...

I mean I'm not racing. I'm not saying that "no one" should use clipless, I'm just saying that for me personally with my foot size I wish I had realized earlier I could just do flats and not have to deal with all that. It really took a lot of enjoyment out of riding to know that my foot was going to hurt and go numb on the ride (even after a professional fitter, 3 pairs of shoes, 4 different shoe insert thingies, etc).

I must have spend at least $1,000 on shoes and pedals trying to get something that worked. Now I have about $150 for the flat shoes and flat pedals and it's far, far more enjoyable to ride. (If you don't have this problem, what I'm saying doesn't apply to you obviously.)
I have 3E wide feet with high arches.

If you ride at all aggressively then clipless does make a difference. Clipless pedals in general are not your problem. Finding a shoe that fits is your problem. I recommend that you try Sidi Genius Mega shoes for wide feet.

I also broke my knee in a crash years ago and have some lingering problems. Speedplay pedals will help your knees.

Not trying to challenge you. Just trying to impart some experience, that's all, and I wish you well.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-01-16 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-01-16, 10:25 AM
rmfnla

I hear this occasionally here on BF and it makes me laugh.

I don't race either, but I consider clipless pedals and click shifting to be the two best cycling improvements in the last 50 years.

Sorry fitting your feet has been so problematic but it's kind of counter-productive to use that as an excuse to minimize a terrific technological development...

Last edited by rmfnla; 03-01-16 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-01-16, 10:29 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lezyne floor pump.
Old 03-01-16, 01:02 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by rmfnla
I hear this occasionally here on BF and it makes me laugh.

I don't race either, but I consider clipless pedals and click shifting to be the two best cycling improvements in the last 50 years.

Sorry fitting your feet has been so problematic but it's kind of counter-productive to use that as an excuse to minimize a terrific technological development...
People get a huge ego investment in clipless like they get in a BMW - it's mostly about status and ego, with a few much smaller things that are actual improvements. It's debateable whether they give you any improvement in speed at all, but even the most optimists studies show the difference is small. They do do very well at keeping your foot firmly attached to the pedal no matter the weather or how fast you're spinning - but a pedal with pins and sticky rubber like five ten shoes are nearly as good.

There's no doubt to me that if you're having issues with hotspots and your feet hurting, that it's a lot easier to find well fitting shoes that are not clipless. It's simply that how the shoe fits. With flat shoes and flat pedals (ones that are actually flat), they fit on the bike much the same as they fit when you walk around the store in them. With clipless how they feel on the bike is very hard to tell before you actually ride in them, and once you attach cleats you can't return them, making it far more difficult to figure out beforehand - if you have issues.

I think integrating the shifters into the brakes has been absolutely fantastic, I hated to take my hands off the brakes and reach down to shift. But I find indexed shifting to be debateable - you do end up spending a lot of effort and sometimes money endlessly trying to get the indexed shifting working just right. Whereas with non-index shifting it's a little more work to shift right but you an always get it spot on.

Both the items you mentioned are huge money makers for bike manufacturers.

I'd say the #1 improvement imo is integrating brakes and shifting.
#2 is flat resistant tires.
#3 is either computer aided design or carbon fiber...modern bikes are far more comfortable to ride and avoid road vibration compared to bikes from a couple of decades ago, even though they're made out of the same material. In my experience.

Clipless is fine, but yeah I think the over-the-top cult following is absurd. Moreso if you're having problems specifically caused by clipless, which not everyone, but if you do you do.
Old 03-01-16, 01:11 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Worst was my first road-ish bike, a flatbar 2002 Sirrus. Stock wheels were found to be complete **** in build quality after a few hundred miles (and I was pretty light back then) with broken spokes galore...flatbar and grips led to hand numbess and pain. An $800 bill with lots of lessons.

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Selle SMP saddle. Can't remember which specific model, but I bought it used off fleabay for something like $200. At the time I just assumed it had to be better than what I'd been using, a $25 Nashbar saddle of some sort, but it was agony for me since I hadn't learned yet that flat saddles are my preference, and I believed the online marketing hype about how comfy they are.

Saving grace was that I sold it for basically the same price I'd paid for it in the first place, minus the shipping and such.
I got an SMP Composit off PerformanceBike almost 7 years ago...50% off retail, after a long string of Fizik and Specialized etc saddles. Was a whim and "cheap" as they were $250 MSRP, still use the damn thing to this day. Should buy another before they stop getting made.
Old 03-01-16, 01:16 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I have 3E wide feet with high arches. If you ride at all aggressively then clipless does make a difference.
I guess I figured it would hit peoples egos to ever say anything negative about clipless, but like I said that was my specific problem with them.

I would agree with your statement that if you ride aggressively then clipless can be beneficial. The primary benefit of clipless is keeping your foot attached to the pedal, and for that it does very well. But if you're not riding aggressively, but you do have foot pain issues that make you not want to ride, it's a lot easier and cheaper to solve that problem with flats than clipless.

Clipless pedals in general are not your problem. Finding a shoe that fits is your problem. I recommend that you try Sidi Genius Mega shoes for wide feet.
I did cover this in my post, why it's far easier to find a shoe that fits in non-clipless.

Frankly, if it wasn't such an ego thing, people wouldn't feel so "attacked" by anyone saying it didn't work for them.

I also broke my knee in a crash years ago and have some lingering problems. Speedplay pedals will help your knees.
I can say with 100% certainty that that's not true because I bought and was using Speedplays.

After a decade I did actually find something that solved my problem - doing barbell squats with good form straightened out the problem in my knee and I stopped having knee pain. But I spent a decade not knowing that and having knee pain with clipless (though not flats).

Not trying to challenge you. Just trying to impart some experience, that's all, and I wish you well.
I mean I wasn't trying to put clipless into a completely good / completely bad category, but like I said I have a ton of experience trying to solve the problem. Might be it solveable with clipless? Maybe. But I know it was much easier to solve with flats.
Old 03-01-16, 01:31 PM
rmfnla

People get a huge ego investment in clipless like they get in a BMW - it's mostly about status and ego, with a few much smaller things that are actual improvements.
No offense, but this may be one of the stupidest statements I have ever read on BF...
Old 03-01-16, 01:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked 7,505 Times in 3,023 Posts
Osmium coated, billet titanium chain rings bolts ($750). They were supposed to be good for an extra 2 mph, but I only see about 1.5 mph increase. I should have bought the premium (3 mph) bolts.

Old 03-01-16, 01:54 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alathIN
Not expensive in absolute terms, but pretty expensive for gloves - a pair of Castellis that were really wonderful for about a month. After one season of use, they are more worn out than a pair of Pearl Izumis I've had for over seven years.
Your castelli gloves lasted about 2 weeks longer than mine. Complete junk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.