Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Pretty Sweet Bike Bell.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Pretty Sweet Bike Bell.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 04:25 PM
JustinTW

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty Sweet Bike Bell.

Gonna get me a small black one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...f=home_popular
Old 03-09-16, 05:50 PM
usedbutnotup

Bikes: Giant Roam 2 Framed Minnesota 2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't look like a hamburger. Not interested.
Old 03-09-16, 07:02 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinTW
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I'm gonna get me self one of them.
Old 03-09-16, 07:14 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
I'm thinking on it too. That is much better looking than the hamburger bell!
Old 03-09-16, 07:19 PM
Arizona Nights

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like the sound of this, and the design is wonderful too. I wish them success. Unfortunately, I've had fancy bike bells before and everyone seems to ignore them. I found that people only pay attention to the old ching-ching bells because that's what they most associate with a bike.
Old 03-12-16, 11:56 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Arizona Nights
I really like the sound of this, and the design is wonderful too. I wish them success. Unfortunately, I've had fancy bike bells before and everyone seems to ignore them. I found that people only pay attention to the old ching-ching bells because that's what they most associate with a bike.
I fully admit no bell works as well as the giant Dutch ding-dong bells, but they are the size of a small Weber BBQ grill........
Old 03-12-16, 12:01 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinTW
Sucker.

BTW Knog is a multinational corporation...in absolutely NO need of crowdfunding to build and sell anything. Knog is pretty much the antithesis of what Kickstarter is supposed to be about. Congrats on being the exact kind of person Knog was banking on (literally) with this pretty sleazy schtick.
Old 03-12-16, 12:46 PM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Sucker.

BTW Knog is a multinational corporation...in absolutely NO need of crowdfunding to build and sell anything. Knog is pretty much the antithesis of what Kickstarter is supposed to be about. Congrats on being the exact kind of person Knog was banking on (literally) with this pretty sleazy schtick.
That's capitalism, get over it. Wether they fund it themselves or get the money from Kickstarter, the end result to the buyer is the same.
Old 03-12-16, 01:00 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by Grey.
That's capitalism, get over it. Wether they fund it themselves or get the money from Kickstarter, the end result to the buyer is the same.
Not really at all in the short or long-term.

Kickstarter is not a supermarket to buy stuff. It is a place to back projects. You go to a bike shop and buy a bell-you know exactly what you get and you get it. Further the company selling it needs a quality product to keep selling and make money. A kickstarter project-lord knows what you'll get, even if you get anything at all. Saying "the end result to the buyer is the same", demonstrates a lack of knowledge of what Kickstarters are.

Further this kind of crap helps the vulture capitalists gouge prices even higher. Would you honestly buy a $50 bell on Amazon? No. Evidently people are happy to be gouged $50 for a bell "kickstarter" from a multinational brand.
Old 03-12-16, 01:10 PM
Grey.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not really at all in the short or long-term.

Kickstarter is not a supermarket to buy stuff. It is a place to back projects. You go to a bike shop and buy a bell-you know exactly what you get and you get it. Further the company selling it needs a quality product to keep selling and make money. A kickstarter project-lord knows what you'll get, even if you get anything at all. Saying "the end result to the buyer is the same", demonstrates a lack of knowledge of what Kickstarters are.

Further this kind of crap helps the vulture capitalists gouge prices even higher. Would you honestly buy a $50 bell on Amazon? No. Evidently people are happy to be gouged $50 for a bell "kickstarter" from a multinational brand.
I wouldn't buy a bell at all because if I need someone to move I can just ask them politely. You seem to be flipping your arguement, is your problem with Kickstarter or with Knog for using it? Since Knog is, as you say, a large corporation (and this product is right in their wheel house) I have no doubts they'll follow through on their Kickstarter, but feel free to speculate if you'd like.

I've spent more money on things that made less sense because to me, they were worth it. If you want to sit on the sidelines and take potshots at what people choose to spend their money on because you disagree with the system, go for it. You think people bought it just because it was on Kickstarter? That's an assumption. If somebody is gonna pay $50 for a bell, I think they'll do it wether it's on Amazon or Kickstarter or in a bike shop, if they want it bad enough. Granted, that's also an assumption, but i'm not calling anyone a "sucker" for it.
Old 03-12-16, 06:17 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
The Australian company has used this as a clever way to advertise and good luck to them. They have created a bell that blends into your bars which to many (especially road bike with drop bars) is desirable. In Australia and especially New South Wales, police are now targeting riders in particular Roadies, and fining them for failing to have a bell or id. These bells blend in nicely to the clean lines of handlebars. The 'expensive' Bell is cheaper than the fine. Here in Australia, the bell is $26.

I have the old style (small) which I have hidden under my Garmin.

Last edited by giantcfr1; 03-12-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 07:14 PM
JustinTW

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sucker.

Congrats on being an @ss.
Old 03-12-16, 07:19 PM
Staypuft1652

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is the third thread about this bell. Not trying to be rude, it does look cool, no matter the companies motives.
Old 03-13-16, 10:44 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never really understood the need for a bell. When riding and wanting to let someone know I'm coming, I call out "Hello, passing on the left"
Does some stupid bell really make us safer?
Old 03-13-16, 10:53 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by avidone1
I never really understood the need for a bell. When riding and wanting to let someone know I'm coming, I call out "Hello, passing on the left"
Does some stupid bell really make us safer?

In a mid-range scientific study I studiously performed on my local MUT over the years....

1) Approximately 90% of people have headphones jammed in their ears so loud you can hear them 10m away...and will never hear "on your left". But typically will react to a freewheel or bell.

2) Of the remaining 10% almost all have no idea what "on your left" actually means in traffic law, and when you say "on your left" do the perfectly natural thing of then leaping to their left into oncoming traffic.

Which means around here, saying "on your left" is the equivalent of going to the zoo and saying "Hi, Mr. Alligator do you want to eat me?". At best, the alligator will ignore you, and at worst it might misunderstand you.
Old 03-13-16, 11:21 AM
Grey.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
Never needed one here, people are generally polite and will move when asked in a non-aggressive manner.
Old 03-13-16, 12:55 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
2) Of the remaining 10% almost all have no idea what "on your left" actually means in traffic law, and when you say "on your left" do the perfectly natural thing of then leaping to their left into oncoming traffic.
Everyone says this but I have never seen it. Most either can't hear because they are listening to earbuds of which the majority of those folks are walking or running on the right side anyways. Those who are not listening to earbuds, the ones that are blocking the path are usually older couples (older as in 60's) and jump when they hear you call out and split jumping off of the path into the grass.

A bell would serve as an early warning sound so that they are not surprised. Ring it before you come and they will know someone is coming before you are there. Calling out, you have to be almost on top of them for them to hear a voice which is why they jump out of their skin when you call out. The sound of a bell is distinct and it will travel further than the human voice, unless you like screaming it at the top of your lungs when still at a distance away.
Old 03-13-16, 02:49 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Everyone says this but I have never seen it. Most either can't hear because they are listening to earbuds of which the majority of those folks are walking or running on the right side anyways. Those who are not listening to earbuds, the ones that are blocking the path are usually older couples (older as in 60's) and jump when they hear you call out and split jumping off of the path into the grass.

A bell would serve as an early warning sound so that they are not surprised. Ring it before you come and they will know someone is coming before you are there. Calling out, you have to be almost on top of them for them to hear a voice which is why they jump out of their skin when you call out. The sound of a bell is distinct and it will travel further than the human voice, unless you like screaming it at the top of your lungs when still at a distance away.
This pretty much reflects my experiences too, some are confused by unexpected encounters regardless of the source.

To most people a bell equates a bicycle, and understand its meaning, where as verbal greetings, and warnings are more ambiguous. Having a bell doesn't render one mute, it just gives one the option to use it.
Old 03-13-16, 08:50 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still say it's a conspiracy by LBS cartel to force us to buy more product.
Old 03-13-16, 10:06 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by kickstart
This pretty much reflects my experiences too, some are confused by unexpected encounters regardless of the source.

To most people a bell equates a bicycle, and understand its meaning, where as verbal greetings, and warnings are more ambiguous. Having a bell doesn't render one mute, it just gives one the option to use it.
Yep, also a bell sounds like a friendly reminder whereas sometimes you may end up sounding more aggressive than you mean to, as you try to give a verbal notification that you are around.
Old 03-13-16, 10:07 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by Staypuft1652
I think this is the third thread about this bell. Not trying to be rude, it does look cool, no matter the companies motives.
This is the first one I have seen and I am grateful for that, as I missed the other two.
Old 03-13-16, 10:28 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I just got bells for the first time this year, and I have been amazed how positively people respond to them.

The Crane E-ne bells are awesome!
Old 03-14-16, 07:49 AM
Staypuft1652

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:-) Glad you saw this then, @ColonelSanders there seems to be alot of interest in this, there was one more new one yesterday as well. :-p
Old 03-14-16, 04:14 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I've been using the Incredibell for several years.
Its quite durable and has an easily recognizable tone.
The ringer is also rotatible which makes it ez to rotate to a comfortable place.
https://www.rei.com/product/723524/m...c:cse_PLA_GOOG
Old 03-14-16, 06:38 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
Normally I would agree with some of you about just politely saying...........yelling GET OUT OF MY WAY!

But, I was recently told that some trails since they are so busy has a bell mandate for pedestrian traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.