Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else sick and tired of wrenching?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 08:05 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 401 Posts

For the past forty years, I've always worked on my own bikes. I've never had anything "professionally" done. I used to be able to strip, clean and reassemble a bike in one day. Now it takes me two weeks. I used to look forward to doing the work. Now I dread it. I just retired after 33 years as a conveyor mechanic and I figured I would find a renewed love for working on my bikes. Here I am with my winter bike stripped down (took me two days to do that) and in dire need of a cleaning and a Campy ergo shifter rebuild. So, what am I doing? Sitting here on my computer browsing bike, car and guitar forums, dreading taking apart the ergo shifter.

Has anyone else lost their love of working on bikes?

BTW: My loss of ambition also carried over to working on my house and car. I'd rather just ride.

Edit:
Oh, and it's raining. If it wasn't, I'd be out riding instead of writing this.

Last edited by gearbasher; 03-28-16 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 08:20 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 661 Posts
I get a bit burned out every now and then. Some time away always seems to help.

In the past, when I've lost interest in things, it was a carryover from the rest of life falling into a rut. Not attempting to suggest that's what you're going through, but my own personal observation for whatever it might be worth.
Old 03-28-16, 08:20 AM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
still like to tinker with my bikes...

but, as a reformed gear-head, I HATE working on cars. about the only things I'll consent to do these days is check the oil, tire pressures, and add wiper fluid.

anything else is done by a shop...
Old 03-28-16, 08:22 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
If I have the money and time I enjoy letting my LBS work on my bike. It makes several people happy. Usually in the spring during the high volume of work at LBS I do not bring anything in but I do bring stuff in during the off season or during the slower seasons like towards the tail end of traditional biking season.
Old 03-28-16, 08:30 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3940 Post(s)
Liked 4,937 Times in 2,276 Posts
Rebuilding an Ergo lever, is something worthy of dreading - especially if you have never done it. Don't worry it will get done, or not. All's well in retirement - take a month to rebuild, you've got a spare (probably).

Riding is always preferable to wrenching. Just do it.
Old 03-28-16, 08:36 AM
Numbskull

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is may be more about retirement and motivation than loss of interest.
I'm going through something a bit similar.
What I think is happening is that during a working career (and much of our lives) all day there are things you HAVE to do. This even carries over to our free time. Since it is so limited there is strong motivation to get things done in order to have opportunity to do what we enjoy.
This all changes with retirement. Suddenly you have loads of time to do whatever we want. Thing is, without the time pressure to motivate us, it is easy to waste time and do little or nothing.

I retired 8 months ago. I had a million projects in mind to start once I'd organized the cellar. Unfortunately, my cellar is more disorganized now than when I retired. Whatever, I'll get to them someday, or not. Doesn't matter to anyone but myself (and my patient, understanding wife).
Old 03-28-16, 08:46 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 619 Posts
Yup, I do the bare minimum these days. Partly tired of working on bikes, and other things I'd rather do, or are more important.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-28-16, 09:00 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
My time is not that valuable to me, and my money is. There is almost nothing I find worthwhile to pay someone else to do, if I can competently do it for less money. I generally don't find that I would be doing something more worthwhile when I am instead working on any of my projects, whether it be a bike, my cars, or something like brewing beer or building a shelf from scratch.

Then again, I'm a young guy, maybe someday I'll reach your point. I did decide to pay $9 to park in a parking deck at a hockey game last weekend, over my usual driving around in circles looking for a free street spot, for the first time ever
Old 03-28-16, 09:10 AM
OTS 

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Numbskull
I think this is may be more about retirement and motivation than loss of interest.
I'm going through something a bit similar.
What I think is happening is that during a working career (and much of our lives) all day there are things you HAVE to do. This even carries over to our free time. Since it is so limited there is strong motivation to get things done in order to have opportunity to do what we enjoy.
This all changes with retirement. Suddenly you have loads of time to do whatever we want. Thing is, without the time pressure to motivate us, it is easy to waste time and do little or nothing.

I retired 8 months ago. I had a million projects in mind to start once I'd organized the cellar. Unfortunately, my cellar is more disorganized now than when I retired. Whatever, I'll get to them someday, or not. Doesn't matter to anyone but myself (and my patient, understanding wife).
This is it in a nutshell for me as well.
I am in month 4 of semi-retirement and getting absolutely NOTHING DONE.
Perhaps it will change but............who knows.
Old 03-28-16, 09:11 AM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
For the past forty years, I've always worked on my own bikes. I've never had anything "professionally" done. I used to be able to strip, clean and reassemble a bike in one day. Now it takes me two weeks. I used to look forward to doing the work. Now I dread it. I just retired after 33 years as a conveyor mechanic and I figured I would find a renewed love for working on my bikes. Here I am with my winter bike stripped down (took me two days to do that) and in dire need of a cleaning and a Campy ergo shifter rebuild. So, what am I doing? Sitting here on my computer browsing bike, car and guitar forums, dreading taking apart the ergo shifter.

Has anyone else lost their love of working on bikes?

BTW: My loss of ambition also carried over to working on my house and car. I'd rather just ride.

Edit:
Oh, and it's raining. If it wasn't, I'd be out riding instead of writing this.
Username checks out.
Old 03-28-16, 09:16 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm the same way OP. I just do the basics to keep things running well, but definitely dont go on all-day wrenching binges. I think time is part of it, I'd rather use my spare time to actually ride. I still enjoy doing the work I do on the bikes - it saves a lot of money and there is satisfaction doing it yourself - but I do a lot less of it than I did when I was young.
Old 03-28-16, 09:34 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I guess it's time to lie down and die
Old 03-28-16, 09:37 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 236 Posts
Just get some down tube shifters and save yourself the agony of the rebuild.
Old 03-28-16, 10:20 AM
gearbasher

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 401 Posts
Hey, thanks for all the theories, encouragement and jokes. I don't want to quote everyone, so you should know if I'm responding to your post.

Yes, retirement has a lot to do with it. I'm still in the mindset that I have to go to work. Then it dawns on me that I don't. So, I sit down for 10 min. Click on the tube and that ten minutes turns into a 3 hour movie.

As far as farming out work. I can't see paying someone to do something I can do myself. And there pretty much isn't anything I can't do myself.

Finally, "time to lay down and die". I consider that the ultimate form of retirement. Hell, you don't even have to breath anymore.

I got off my @ss and the ergo shifter is done. Broken spring carrier. Off to lunch.
Old 03-28-16, 10:29 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
You need to go the local charity and donate some time helping teach kids how to wrench on bikes. Give a couple bikes away. Be a better man. Then, reward yourself with a nice cold brew!
Old 03-28-16, 10:31 AM
elboGreaze
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting tired of wrenching , too . Used to knock out a flip bike in a couple days, now I just putt along . Have one that I have been slowly working on, been at it a few weeks now.
Old 03-28-16, 10:31 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 485 Post(s)
Quoted: 3849 Post(s)
Liked 6,921 Times in 2,674 Posts
I used to buy bikes to fix up and flip, but then got tired of working on other people's bikes. When I'm considering working on my own bikes, it's always related to what I would need to do in order to ride (e.g., fix something not quite working right). So riding trumps wrenching.

If it's a possibility, why not go and wrench in a community bike shop or co-op?
Old 03-28-16, 11:30 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 121 Posts
After 40+ years at it, I still enjoy wrenching. Now if I only had time and my back would allow it...

SP
OC, OR
Old 03-28-16, 11:31 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 855 Posts
I am not really tired of wrenching cars, bicycles, or home appliances, but, with a full-time job, I do not always have time. I still do all of my own bike work and appliance work (I own a much-maligned Whirlpool Cabrio high efficiency washer and a Bissell Revolution Lift-Off vacuum cleaner, so I have to do my own work to keep these running and affordable), as well as any car work that does not require a lift or a specialized tool beyond the ones I own (my sons and I drive 1996 to 2002 Audi A4/S4s, and my wife has a 2001 Passat wagon, so we have to do a certain amount of our own work to keep these running and affordable).
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-28-16, 11:36 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,207 Times in 703 Posts
For me, the enthusiasm comes from learning something new -- and most everything in the world of bike wrenching is new to me at this point. Is there anything you can think of that you've wanted to deeply dive into that you had to leave aside due to time? There's nothing wrong with reserving your bike mechanic time to maintenance as needed and immersing yourself into something new, challenging, and potentially a little scary. Now is the time...
Old 03-28-16, 11:44 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I wrench as part of a hobby, and my desire for wrenching runs hot & cold. If it's something like today I'm adding tire liners to Mr. V's commuter bike. This = mundane & boring. Now if I just bought a Sturmey Archer dyno hub or similar = heart palpitating enthusiasm.

If I'm excited about the bike then I get excited about wrenching. If it's just..."Eh", then it's more of a chore.
Old 03-28-16, 11:53 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 2,249 Times in 1,120 Posts
I resemble many of the remarks. It took nearly two years to get around to cleaning up the Botty! Nearing the end of it but running out of steam. Sometimes it is indecision, do I use the old Campy brake set or the Universal 61's? I don't like cleaning chains. In fact I am tires of cleaning! Wish everything was clean and ready to go. Then it is enjoyable due to accomplishing something.
Old 03-28-16, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Off to the LBS , My summer part time Gig.. Project: Touring cyclist's bike shipped in and marked the carton 'Please Assemble' .
Old 03-28-16, 12:00 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I'm the same way OP. I just do the basics to keep things running well, but definitely dont go on all-day wrenching binges. I think time is part of it, I'd rather use my spare time to actually ride. I still enjoy doing the work I do on the bikes - it saves a lot of money and there is satisfaction doing it yourself - but I do a lot less of it than I did when I was young.
That's exactly my attitude. I don't particularly enjoy wrenching, although I do enjoy the satisfaction of having done something myself. Also, since bikes are soooo simple to work on compared to cars and other machinery it is often less hassle and quicker to do things myself than use an LBS. In addition, LBSs that can do quality work on vintage bikes are getting few and far between.

Right now I'm in the middle of an unusual amount of wrenching, restoring two bikes at the same time. I've just completed one and when I get the next one done I will switch into minor maintenance only mode (on bikes that is). I still have an Austin Healey that's in pieces. That will take an awful lot of wrenching to get it roadworthy.
Old 03-28-16, 12:17 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
My time is not that valuable to me, and my money is. There is almost nothing I find worthwhile to pay someone else to do, if I can competently do it for less money. I generally don't find that I would be doing something more worthwhile when I am instead working on any of my projects, whether it be a bike, my cars, or something like brewing beer or building a shelf from scratch.

Then again, I'm a young guy, maybe someday I'll reach your point. I did decide to pay $9 to park in a parking deck at a hockey game last weekend, over my usual driving around in circles looking for a free street spot, for the first time ever
trust me, it will change, you're time will only increase in value as you age. I pay someone to clean my house, I pay someone to deliver my firewood, I pay people to work on my car. I pay people to do my mountain bike suspension, not because I can't do it or learn how to do it but because I would rather ride. I can take care of the basics on my bikes (everything but suspension basically).

I can relate to what the OP is feeling. All my wrenching is necessity maintenance which can be draining. The backlog of project is considerable, some have been waiting years. I have had mavic 500 series hubs and MA40 rims waiting to be assembled for well over 5 years, thing is they aren't for a daily rider, just a spare set of wheels to swap with the tubulars. I just find there are more immediate things that need to be done and I can't find the good time chunks like at a minimum a couple hours to make big gains on projects. I end up spending half the time sorting stuff of cleaning a spare derailleur because the big jobs are too daunting. The best thing to do is set small goals and you will feel good each time you go into the shop. I have a complete rebuild in the stand right now for a gift to a friend. I might set a goal for today like "clean the brake calipers, assemble and install them with new pads on frame". I'll feel a sense of completion because I made that goal rather than aimlessly thinking about the end product and not really using my time effectively. If I did that I might end up cleaning some parts and getting side tracked with some of the other dirty spares on the bench that aren't important to the job at hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.