Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Well first bike ride today over 20 yrs since I road also need a little help

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 01:25 PM
jamain1993

Bikes: Next 18 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi GUys

Well I went for my first ride to day in 20 some years all I can say is WOW what a day lol
I had my friend come over to work on my Next bike I just got form a friend well we could not get the front
brakes adjusted on it so my friend said lets go look at new bikes I told him Bob I cant afford a new one right now
being on SSI and I have my tags up on my car this month and insurance to make a long story short he bought me a brand new all
aluminum bike made by Hyper and he bought me a soft seat I told him NO several times and he told me its Gods money Jeff him and I
go to church to gather he about put tears in my eyes when he did this he said it was a gift from Jesus so I road it home from his house LOL
I can tell I need a lot of work I'm beat and VERY out of shape at 330 one good thing is I didn't crashl: I do need some help plz I'm trying to find some more comfortable hand grip that will fit it its a Hyper spin fit 700 plz if you could help me find some that would fit I would be very greatfull I just want to Thank each and every one of you guys for being so nice and helpful surely means a lot to a newbi like me

Thank you so much for all the advice and help

Jeff Main
Old 04-12-16, 01:43 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by jamain1993
Hi GUys

Well I went for my first ride to day in 20 some years all I can say is WOW what a day lol
I had my friend come over to work on my Next bike I just got form a friend well we could not get the front
brakes adjusted on it so my friend said lets go look at new bikes I told him Bob I cant afford a new one right now
being on SSI and I have my tags up on my car this month and insurance to make a long story short he bought me a brand new all
aluminum bike made by Hyper and he bought me a soft seat I told him NO several times and he told me its Gods money Jeff him and I
go to church to gather he about put tears in my eyes when he did this he said it was a gift from Jesus so I road it home from his house LOL
I can tell I need a lot of work I'm beat and VERY out of shape at 330 one good thing is I didn't crashl: I do need some help plz I'm trying to find some more comfortable hand grip that will fit it its a Hyper spin fit 700 plz if you could help me find some that would fit I would be very greatfull I just want to Thank each and every one of you guys for being so nice and helpful surely means a lot to a newbi like me

Thank you so much for all the advice and help

Jeff Main
God is good, isnt He?? Welcome to the forums.
Old 04-12-16, 01:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Nice! Your health is worth some investment too. Just keep pedaling. Don't hurt yourself doing too much too soon, at first your legs can usually crank out more miles than your butt can handle sitting through

Bike handlebars are standard so there are a bunch of ergonomic grips at all price levels that will fit your bike, try looking at all these from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A34942...n%3A2765755011
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-12-16, 02:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Look for some cycling gloves first and see if that doesn't improve the comfort of your hands. Then find some grips if the gloves aren't enough. And keep wearing the gloves.
Keep riding.
Old 04-12-16, 02:35 PM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
+1
Old 04-12-16, 03:31 PM
jamain1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Oldschool and also Thank you all for the advice

Regards
Jeff
Old 04-12-16, 03:36 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 492 Posts
Hey, make sure the seat is at the right height. Yeah, like others say, get some good gel gloves. You might be able to find something softer to cover those grip shifters: Maybe natural cork.
Bike says weight limit (aluminum) is 300 lbs. You might want to think about steel.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 04-14-16 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 04:44 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: your grips. Do be aware of how you're holding the handlebars.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you; prior to a few months ago, I hadn't been on a bike in decades. One thing I found is that I kept (and sometimes still keep) a death grip on the handlebars. You aren't necessarily doing that, but be aware of how you're holding on.
Old 04-12-16, 05:03 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 149 Posts
You may be better off buying a pair of bike gloves, rather than looking for more cushioned grips.

I've used these gloves for years, and they hold up pretty well.

Nashbar Crochet Gloves

BTW, it seems you were meant to start riding, hopefully you can make it work out.
Old 04-12-16, 06:48 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Jeff it seems that God has blessed you with a wonderful friend. God is good.

I agree that padded gloves may help with the hand discomfort. I hope you can find some that will help.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-12-16, 06:54 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, friend! You might have bitten off a bit too much distance at first. Easy does it - I remember that when I started (way back when), I did maybe five miles for the first two weeks of daily riding. Next step is ten miles for a couple of weeks. You can begin to sort out whether you need to make adjustments with seat, etc. The gift of the bike lets you see all the other gifts that this life brings.
Old 04-12-16, 06:57 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome aboard, the 50+ forum is chock full of good folks, like your friend that has you started on cycling. I have two spare pair of padded gloves, both in good shape, very little use at all. if you want one, or both, just leave me a note via email, through the Forum's email messaging, my email address will be used without posting it. You don't have enough posts to send and receive Personal Messages yet (50 necessary to use this feature here.) No charge including postage, you can pay it forward some day, to some one that needs something, anything.

BTW, I am a former heavyweight, too, 287lbs when I decided I didn't care to die from kidney failures that kept harshing me. Now its 172+ and its been there for over 2 years now. Cycling is the means I chose to work on my health, it worked quite well. I am riding 150 miles or so, each week, over 7200 the last 2 years. Just keep at it.

God's Peace,
Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-12-16 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 07:14 PM
jamain1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bill

Thank you for the offer VERY kind of you but I did find some gloves I had for weight lifting I'm going to try them out
some have it wrong I didn't ride 20 miles today I haven't road a bike in over 20 yrs plus LOL

Thanks again Bill
Jeff
Old 04-12-16, 07:22 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good on you, just let me know if the weight gloves don't do the trick. Keep at it, regardless of your daily mileage, it will do you great, as far as your fitness.

Bill
Old 04-12-16, 07:52 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ergon is a well known maker of grips that widen out for more support. A shorter stem or one that would get you more upright (if you're not upright enough) might also be helpful. Biking gloves are worn by everyone. It will take a long time before you're able to ride without putting a lot of weight on your hands, assuming it's a "regular" bike and you're not sitting really upright. There is no quick fix but if you keep riding...quit eating the foods you love the pounds will begin to drop and in time it will be a different world. I've dropped 90lb myself so I can give you well deserved kudos because I could not even come close to doing 20mi my first ride back on a bike. Congrats and keep it up! (that's what she said). Couldn't resist.
Old 04-13-16, 10:07 AM
jamain1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys

Plz read the post again I did NOT ride 20 miles my first time out Its says I haven't
road a bike in 20 plus years LOL but I feel like I went 20 miles my first time I road maybe 2 miles
and that about killed me .but I will get used to it over time I'm wanting to get a computer for my bike
but dnt know what one is good that's wireless

Take care
jeff
Old 04-13-16, 10:29 AM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamain1993
Hi Guys

Plz read the post again I did NOT ride 20 miles my first time out Its says I haven't
road a bike in 20 plus years LOL but I feel like I went 20 miles my first time I road maybe 2 miles
and that about killed me .
Take care
jeff
You really will get used to it. I was off the bike for over 30 years, and my first ride was 6 blocks. I was trying to figure out how to shift on a bike with more than 10 speeds, and to get over years of inactivity. I felt as if my ambition to ride well was just stupid, that I'd never get used to it. This was two to three months ago. Last week, in addition to normal stuff like commuting and riding around the neighborhood, I took a 27 mile ride just because I didn't feel like stopping. And I don't think my story here is all that unique -- you'll hear much the same from many new and returning cyclists.

As others have said, take it easy at first and work up to longer distances. You went two miles? That's a big deal for your first time on the bike in twenty-plus years. I would bet that in a month (or less) that two mile ride will be nothing. But also you should know -- not every day on the bike will be good. I've had several awful commutes, and I wiped out once. And there are days when I have to talk myself into getting on the bike -- but I'm always happy I did.

There are other benefits as well. Your cardiovascular health will get better. And you will lose weight -- I didn't lose a great deal, only 10 pounds, but I also gained muscle.

And the biggest plus -- it's fun. And you'll see more stuff than you would from a car.

Last edited by dougmon; 04-13-16 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-13-16, 10:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Ride one day and then walk the next day.

Drop down from the 330.

Old 04-13-16, 12:19 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Good luck on your return to cycling! Yes, this forum is great for advice and encouragement and usually with a sense of humor too so it's all good.

As noted above, it's important to progress slowly at first so you don't do any physical damage but just as important, so that you maintain your enthusiasm / motivation to keep getting on the bike (even for a short ride) pretty much every day.

Don't know how you managed to stay away from cycling for 20 years but hey, I'm a life-long cycling addict so what do I know (he asked rhetorically)?

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-13-16, 01:13 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Congrats on your decision to take up cycling for your health. I think many of us here were in the same boat you are in and we all came out of it for the best. Just start slowly. Don't push yourself - the bike and the roads will still be there tomorrow. When you are comfortable riding a certain distance, increase the distance and likewise for speed. Before you know it, you'll be spending more and more time on your bike.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-13-16, 02:24 PM
NABodie

Bikes: '13 Felt F85, Giant Revel 1 29er, '16 Giant AnyRoad 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Try some gel gloves they work wonders!
Old 04-13-16, 02:25 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by NABodie
+1

Try some gel gloves they work wonders!
I have those, too.
Old 04-13-16, 03:20 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
You may be better off buying a pair of bike gloves, rather than looking for more cushioned grips.

I've used these gloves for years, and they hold up pretty well.

Nashbar Crochet Gloves

BTW, it seems you were meant to start riding, hopefully you can make it work out.
Funny thing about cheap cycling gloves: weightlifting gloves are almost exactly the same, but cost about half as much....
Old 04-14-16, 07:33 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Hey, I use weightlifting gloves! I don't like a lot of padding, and like you say they're much cheaper than cycling gloves. My advice to Jamain1993 is to stick to shorter rides for now - half hour or so is fine. Increase when your body says you're ready; you'll know when that is.
Old 04-14-16, 12:23 PM
jamain1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.