Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Annual ride this year?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 05:49 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 511 Posts

I feel like I haven't been paying attention. Here is it early May and the usual discussion about the next (eighth?) Official 50+ Annual Ride has not entered my consciousness.

Is one planned? Is it over? is anyone else interested or wondering what happened?

As usual, the Ann Arbor One Helluva Ride (OHR) will be held the weekend after the 4th, which is Saturday July 9 this year.
The weekend after is the 60 mile Ride Around Torch (RAT), a loop around guess what, Torch Lake!

So one could do a 100 at OHR and then a recovery ride of 60 at RAT. Then about four weeks later another 100 at the Assenmacher 100 in central lower Michigan. For all of these it's BYOPie.

But I digress (REALLY 50+). Who has planned or discussed a 50+ ride for this year?
Old 05-09-16, 03:45 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
I've only seen a few things kicked around earlier this year, but nobody making a commitment.

Marc
Old 05-09-16, 04:12 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Since RAT is nearby I've been thinking of the 60.
Old 05-09-16, 08:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I feel like I haven't been paying attention. Here is it early May and the usual discussion about the next (eighth?) Official 50+ Annual Ride has not entered my consciousness.

Is one planned? Is it over? is anyone else interested or wondering what happened?

As usual, the Ann Arbor One Helluva Ride (OHR) will be held the weekend after the 4th, which is Saturday July 9 this year.
The weekend after is the 60 mile Ride Around Torch (RAT), a loop around guess what, Torch Lake!

So one could do a 100 at OHR and then a recovery ride of 60 at RAT. Then about four weeks later another 100 at the Assenmacher 100 in central lower Michigan. For all of these it's BYOPie.

But I digress (REALLY 50+). Who has planned or discussed a 50+ ride for this year?

Originally Posted by irwin7638
I've only seen a few things kicked around earlier this year, but nobody making a commitment.

Marc
Hi @Road Fan

Thanks for this thread. I recently posted to the Fifty-Plus thread, ”50+ the way that it used to be”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
What has captivated me most about Fifty-Plus beside the general milieu are (were) the Annual Rides begun in 2010 up though last year. I have ridden in five of them, and have compiled the personal narratives of all the Rides on the thread, "A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides". I myself think this so-called "way it used to be" ended with the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. BTW, billydonn was on that one.

Originally Posted by miss kenton
... Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated...

There is something very special and unique about meeting the people behind the posts on the forums.

...Besides meeting these E-acquaintances face-to-face, it is also much fun to meet them as residents of Bike Forums and especially Fifty Plus…
That's why I enjoy the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides so much, because meeting fellow enthusiasts is the goal of the excursion. I usually ride solo, and could find organized rides much closer to home, than the hundreds of miles I have driven to attend.

BTW, I have put out some feelers for an organized ride here in Boston in September, and would welcome any suggestions for elsewhere.
The OHR and RAT are on July 9 and July 17 respectively, and I would be unable to attend. The family is visiting Michigan the week of August 9. My suggestion of the Hub on Wheels ride still stands. Date is a Sunday in late September, and I propose it as a weekend visit to Boston as well as the Ride. Personally I would also like to see a venue suggested for the mid-Atlantic states, Virginia, or possibly North Carolina.

As unofficial, self-appointed archivist of the Annual Fifty-Plus Rides, I once wrote up this description:

Marc and I have both ridden three of the last five Annual Rides. This year (#5) I'd like to suggest that we actually had three widely separate Rides…

I'd like to propose this definition of an Annual Ride: One that is announced on the 50-Plus Forum for all subscribers, with sufficient lead time to make preparations to attend. No minimum number of riders, other than at least one besides the “host.” After the ride there should be some narratives and photos of the event (“without pictures, it didn't happen”). Then the ride should be recorded in the Chronicles. It would be helpful to keep all the suggestions for a Ride on one single thread.

This is pretty much the schedule followed on at least the last four Rides, with the addition of a short Friday afternoon ride as well. All the preceding Annual Rides, except the First, and the Katy Trail Social, were in conjunction with an organized Ride by a local cycling group…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-09-16 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-09-16, 08:42 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5935 Post(s)
Liked 3,627 Times in 2,150 Posts
Not exactly a 50 plus ride but a large group of BFers will be doing the Dairyland Dare later this summer. Most if not all will be riding vintage bikes and there will be more than a few who qualify as fifty plus, .

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...august-64.html
Old 05-09-16, 02:54 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Road Fan
… Here is it early May and the usual discussion about the next (eighth?) Official 50+ Annual Ride has not entered my consciousness.

Is one planned? Is it over? is anyone else interested or wondering what happened?...
Who has planned or discussed a 50+ ride for this year?
Also FYA, @Road Fan, was this discussion on the thread ”Katy Social 2016”.

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Any plans taking shape for a ride/social this year? We are thinking about doing a destination bike ride in July.

In the past, my work schedule has precluded participating, but now I'm retired, so thinking if the St. Louis folks are planning to do this again this year, we might be in.

When I first read the OP, I thought it might be a clarion call for an Eighth Annual Fifty-Plus Annual Ride, but I realize it’s specific for the Katy Trail Social. I have been an avid participant previous annual rides, and last week I made some preliminary ramblings about such an event in a reply to a Fifty-Plus subscriber.

Like the experience of @Retro Grouch the turnouts have been relatively low since about 2013. My suggestions, and the Rides I have hosted have been in New England, a (geographically) eccentric location, so I still await an official kick-off for other suggestions.

BTW, there is a ”Chronicle of the 50+ Rides”, including the Katy Trail Social of 2013. This Ride however is too far away for me, and as a Road Cyclist, I hear there is a lot of dusty limestone pavement.
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The idea that there is an official or sanctioned Bikeforum event is rubbish.

As a former moderator I discussed the legal and organization linkage between Bikeforums and any events announced within these forums with Tom Stormcrowe. He explained to me that there is none.

I've attended events announced on Bikeforums and they can be very successful. The Dairyland Dare event that has become a phenomenon is a good example. See : https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...in-august.html

I've also met up with Bikeforum members on other occasions.

These events are unregulated and open. If they become successful, it's the result of like minded people just enjoying the hobby and a willingness to gather.
Well Mr. (former) Moderator, that’s a +1. Indeed, to the best of my knowledge there never was any official sanction of a ”…Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Ride..” It’s always been my understanding that those rides were informally organized by any given subscriber to Bike Forums usually as the name states by a subscriber to 50+. I’ve always considered it an engaging tradition of this normally convivial Forum, not unlike the annual Pie Ride, but more formally organized.

I read that thread [about the Dairyland Dare]. Apparently it started about three years ago as a ride description, and after several bumps extending through 62 pages, it has indeed evolved into a BF-known event to those who know about it.

BTW, IMO the opportunity for a “whole lot of pain,” does seem to appeal to a select group of cyclists; the Annual Fifty-Plus Rides have always offered a variety of rides and activities for the participants (and their possible non-cycling companions).

I totally understand why BF would not want to have “a legal and organizational linkage between Bikeforums and any events announced within these Forums", especially in the context of liability. All the rides beginning with the Second, have been in conjunction with a valid sponsoring organization that assumed the liability for the ride, freeing the “host,” who acted as informational and “emcee.”

Even when @DnvrFox organized the First ride on his own, he started an extensive thread on the liability and risk management issues; and I think he expected a signed waiver.

So my conclusion, if @Barrettcv is posting as an official of BF, perhaps we should cease and desist from the label "…Annual Fifty-Plus Ride", and let events occur ad lib without any context....Anyways, @Dan and @retro, sorry for the interruption, and now back to the regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

...and that was quite an interruption.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-09-16 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 03:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 457 Posts
This coming weekend, I'll be doing the Smokey Mountain Recumbent Rally; and while I don't expect anybody from here to be there, ya never know. If you see me, give me a holler; I'll be on a lowracer while almost everyone else is on trikes.
Old 05-09-16, 05:41 PM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I propose we do this year's annual ride during RAGBRAI.

But that's only because I plan to be there anyway.
Old 05-09-16, 06:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by wnl256
I propose we do this year's annual ride during RAGBRAI.

But that's only because I plan to be there anyway.
RAGBRAI can be pretty hectic, and with so many people, it can be hard to meet up.
Old 05-09-16, 06:46 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Not exactly a 50 plus ride but a large group of BFers will be doing the Dairyland Dare later this summer. Most if not all will be riding vintage bikes and there will be more than a few who qualify as fifty plus, .

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...august-64.html
I'll be there, as I have in the past.

I'll also be hosting a day of riding in Edwardsville, Illinois on July 10th, see: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...al-2016-a.html
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-09-16 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 07:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5935 Post(s)
Liked 3,627 Times in 2,150 Posts
I'll be there, as I have in the past.

I'll also be hosting a day of riding in Edwardsville, Illinois on July 10th, see: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...al-2016-a.html
That sounds like fun; July 10 might be a tough time for me this year though.
Old 05-09-16, 07:21 PM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What about a meet-up at the Six Gap ride in Georgia at the end of September. With three different distance/ difficulty choices it has something for everyone.
Old 05-10-16, 12:36 PM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
RAGBRAI can be pretty hectic, and with so many people, it can be hard to meet up.
I know... I was (mostly) kidding.

But any other midwest ride would likely rule me out.
Old 05-10-16, 12:57 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Fldaves
What about a meet-up at the Six Gap ride in Georgia at the end of September. With three different distance/ difficulty choices it has something for everyone.
Georgia is way too far for me. I have driven 700 miles for a Michigan ride, but also to visit family. Otherwise about 300 to 400 miles is the farthest I have traveled for a Fifty-Plus Ride, and always to make it at least a two-day week-end for the Ride and to socialize.

So in my experience someone from Georgia (or familiar with the area) needs to promote the Ride, at least organize a meet-up for those who attend, and maybe provide some other activities/opportunities to socialize. Here in Boston on two different Annual Rides we did additional rides on Friday and Sunday, did a couple of walking tours, and went out for a couple of dinners. The attendees make their own travel and accommodation plans, but might ask for recommendations.
Old 05-27-16, 03:54 PM
Jim from Boston

See this thread on the Great Lakes Regional Forum:

Originally Posted by DarthMonkey
Anyone else signed up for "one helluva ride"

Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society - One Helluva Ride!

Summary:

The Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society (AABTS) presents the 40th Annual One Helluva Ride (OHR) on Saturday, July 9, 2016. Join us for a day of scenic bicycle touring over tree-lined, paved roads in Washtenaw, Ingham, Jackson and Livingston counties. The routes wind through rural and recreation areas on beautiful rolling terrain and vary enough to appeal to a broad range of bicyclists.

OHR riders can choose from six great loop routes this year. Four rides start and end at Chelsea Fairgrounds in Chelsea, Michigan; the 66, 76, and 100 mile routes will go through Hell. The two Fun Rides start and end at Portage Lake State Park. All the routes share the same central lunch stop at Portage Lake State Park, so family members and friends who decide to take different routes can meet.