Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 04:57 PM
rjmeyer67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid

For about the same cost I can get a Trek Verge 1, Raleigh Venture 3.0, or a Fuji (forgot name)
Obviously, I can get a Schwinn Discover, but I wanted a better build/design than a big box store. Leaving towards the Raleigh but input is appreciated.
Old 05-12-16, 03:07 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I didn't want to guess on the Fuji, but I would go with the Trek Verve 1 over the Raleigh, strictly because I prefer rigid forks for my type of riding.

I find it somewhat humorous that they highlight the suspension on the Verve 2 as an upgrade.

In general for bikes from different manufacturers, the components will be similar for similar priced bikes of the same style. Go ride them if you can, and decide that way.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-12-16, 08:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Get the Trek Verve. That would have been my first choice last year when I resumed riding after many years away from the bike. Instead I went for a good used Globe Carmel comfort hybrid with very similar design and components. But the Verve is a nicer bike.

And if you buy locally from a Trek dealer they'll probably offer extended support to keep the bike adjusted to your preferences as you go. When I first resumed cycling last year I had no tools (sold 'em all after a car wreck 15 years ago busted up my back and neck) and no experience with bikes newer than a 1970s European 10-speed road bike. My local bike shop is only a mile away and for a reasonable price they did a safety check and basic tuneup, and readjusted the gears and brakes a month later as the cables stretched a bit. They're a Trek dealer but willing to handle my low end bike, and to frankly discuss sensible and cost effective maintenance and repairs they can do, vs stuff I can do myself at home. For example, a couple of weeks ago they replaced the rear wheel for me (I don't have the tools to swap the freewheel or true the new wheel). But I replaced a broken grip shifter myself, which was easy with a few simple tools. And they've let me test ride some Treks, which may hook me into buying my next bike from them!

And you can adjust the handlebar height to suit your preferences as you go. I started out with the stem fully extended, then gradually lowered it as I got into better shape. Finally, a couple of months ago, I flopped and reversed the handlebar to get even lower, down near saddle height. That probably won't be necessary with the Verve 1, which appears to have a stem that can lower the handlebar to saddle height if desired. And the Verve 2 adds an adjustable stem/bar to adjust the reach as well -- very handy.

Keep in mind that a cheaper new bike may cost you more in the short run, not even the long run, if you buy from a big box store (very unlikely they'll know how to assemble it correctly) or online retailer (pretty much zero customer support) you may end up spending another $100 just to get it running satisfactorily. Locally, if I was shopping for a new bike I'd probably go with Trek or Specialized because they're the most common dealers and most local shops have good reputations. If Giant was a bigger presence here I'd consider them as well; ditto a few other good brands.