Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Comment by LBS tech on Setback seat post

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 08:05 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Interesting comment by the LBS tech during a recent visit. He mentioned that they don't see setback seat posts much these days because it changes the pedal stroke. Tech also said that the saddle should ideally be in the "middle", meaning the clamp should be more center on the saddle rail. i wouldn't be able to tell the difference in pedal strokes. My setback Thomson feels good but the saddle is pushed to nearly the back end of the rails.

Does it really matter?
Old 06-06-16, 08:27 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 352 Posts
All other things being equal, you can generate more power sitting forward. The problem with this is trying to maintain this position and power output per stroke for hours on end. We need to sit back a bit to get the weight of our upper bodies off our hands, and pounding the pedals all day is hard on the knees and quads. Sitting back allows the back muscles to do more work supporting the upper body and brings the hamstrings into the pedal stroke.

I have long femurs, too, but frankly I have no idea where my kneecap is relative to the pedal spindle at 3 o'clock. I do know I can ride for hours without any kind of discomfort above the waist, and I can easily sit on the nose or get out of the saddle without throwing my balance off.
Old 06-06-16, 10:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,973 Times in 1,408 Posts
Silliness. Of course one can tell the difference. The big difference is that, as above, a more set-back saddle takes weight off your hands, which is good thing. A more set-back saddle increases usage of hams and glutes, especially when climbing, also a good thing. Sitting more forward opens the hip angle in an aero position, which will make it easier to breathe when going hard. That's why one sees riders "on the rivet" when going fast on the flat. There's no rule, it's just about what one wants to emphasize.

Saddle position also affects reach, so every cm you move the saddle, you have to move the bars the same amount to maintain the same reach.

Saying that there's a proper position for the saddle and that's the same for everyone and everyone's goals is silliness.
Old 06-06-16, 10:35 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Proper fit is a proper fit. If it takes a setback to get there then whats the difference? Nonsense from you LBS.......
Old 06-07-16, 04:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7696 Post(s)
Liked 3,604 Times in 1,900 Posts
LBS owner: 'I accidentally ordered 20 of these 0-setback seat posts instead of two."

LBS employee: "I can probably help get rid of them."
Old 06-07-16, 05:19 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's all about fit. I've got to be in front of KOPS. Some people's individual anatomy puts them behind it.
The position of the saddle rail in the clamp has nothing to do with the rail and everything to do with the rider.
Sure, they were engineered to fit the widest range of individuals.

Maybe the most common position is right in the middle. That's where I had my first bike for 2 years -- because it was set by an LBS that told me things like yours did -- and that's why I go to another LBS now.
Old 06-07-16, 05:34 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rule # 20
Old 06-07-16, 05:48 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 141 Posts
LBS tech is a moron
Old 06-07-16, 02:08 PM
Mt. Tam

Bikes: Raleigh Revenio Carbon (w/Reynolds Aero 58's) , '90 Lemond (Z-Team steel, w/HPlusSon w/I9 Torch's), Ridley Supercross (w/Boyd Altamonts)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find setback posts to have a bit more compliance than a 0mm. In addition, fore/aft position in relation to the distance from the bottom bracket is most important to me. Maximizing your power output while not causing a strain to your lower back is a game of millimeters.
Old 06-07-16, 02:30 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use zero setback posts because it gets me in the position I want to be on the bike. You don't want to slam the saddle forwards or backwards in the seatpost cradle such that you're clamping outside the recommended area on the saddle rails.
Old 06-07-16, 02:33 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
The UCI rules state that a saddle has to be a minimum of 5cm behind the centerline of the bottom bracket. So for a lot of people a zero degree post would have the saddle way forward on the rails, especially with an aggressive ST angle. So I guess that's why most bikes come with setback posts, who knows.
Old 06-07-16, 10:41 PM
Cinqovitto
Dopers suck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a proper fit, if they are selling lots of 0 setback posts, it must a local thing.
Old 06-08-16, 05:35 PM
dcsix

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp SRAM Rival, 2008 LeMond Victoire Dura Ace, 1994 Santana Sovereign Tandem, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Shimano Deore, 1975 Raleigh Super Course Mark II

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yashinon
Interesting comment by the LBS tech during a recent visit. He mentioned that they don't see setback seat posts much these days because it changes the pedal stroke. Tech also said that the saddle should ideally be in the "middle", meaning the clamp should be more center on the saddle rail. i wouldn't be able to tell the difference in pedal strokes. My setback Thomson feels good but the saddle is pushed to nearly the back end of the rails.

Does it really matter?
Haha, if that works for him, it's a fabulous thing, but that has little to nothing to do with you. Also, Greg LeMond, last time I checked, would disagree with this fellow, advocating getting behind the pedals, and seat back as far as it'll go. Having said that, it is still all about what works in your skin. Ride on.
Old 06-08-16, 05:44 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Let me guess, he is 20 years old, has only been riding for a couple years, and doesn't know how to really work on bikes except for assembling the latest and the greatest.