Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

At least five cyclists killed and another two injured as 'hit-and-run' truck plows ..

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

At least five cyclists killed and another two injured as 'hit-and-run' truck plows ..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 08:47 PM
exime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At least five cyclists killed and another two injured as 'hit-and-run' truck plows into their weekly club ride in Michigan

Update:

Pictures and names of cyclists killed

Last edited by exime; 06-09-16 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 10:22 PM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
horrible
Old 06-08-16, 04:57 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
pretty reprehensible that the police were notified 30 minutes prior to the crash about the truck driving erratically by 3 callers and the truck was not apprehended prior to the crash.
Stunning and horrible. So sorry to hear. I used to live in MI tho not near Kzoo.
No amount of punishment...sounds like the driver was drunk...can atone for what happened.
Dregs of society meets well intentioned. Worse case.
Old 06-08-16, 05:30 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Could have been a minivan full of children being hit from behind, pedestrians walking on the side of the road, etc. But yes, horrible. Would have been fine if this driver crashed into a giant oak tree and killed only himself in the wreck, but it makes you angry when stupid people do stupid things and others suffer for it. Hope they throw the book at him.

Condolences to the cyclists' families. And prayers to the four still recovering in hospital.
Old 06-08-16, 05:34 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What a terrible story. My heart breaks for those families.
Old 06-08-16, 06:14 AM
hunterr41

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prayers for survivors and families of those killed. So Sad.
Old 06-08-16, 06:40 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
.......... Would have been fine if this driver crashed into a giant oak tree and killed only himself in the wreck,
The number of deaths and life altering consequences due to alcohol and drugs is almost unimaginable for many... if not most. I myself am not willing to discard those wasted life's.

Addictions (and other such human failings) have always destroyed more of us humans... than any outside influence. After countless thousands of years of the same old solutions I'd hope mankind could mature enough see past their own fears and move towards compassionate solutions. None of this will be resolved with the same old... more of the same.
Old 06-08-16, 06:45 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
The number of deaths and life altering consequences due to alcohol and drugs is almost unimaginable for many... if not most. I myself am not willing to discard those wasted life's.

Addictions (and other such human failings) have always destroyed more of us humans... than any outside influence. After countless thousands of years of the same old solutions I'd hope mankind could mature enough see past their own fears and move towards compassionate solutions. None of this will be resolved with the same old... more of the same.
You are obviously more enlightened than I.
Old 06-08-16, 06:49 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
You are obviously more enlightened than I.
Not at all. Maybe I've just seen more loss.... or just lived longer.

If those near by the accident(?) had picked up stones and threw them at the motorist until he died. Nothing would have changed... in all of human behavioral history.

But.... modern man has at least advanced to where we help the injured... even the ones that cause the injuries.

Yet we still remain stuck in a punishment mindset. But, I think we are nearing a realization that if we set aside our fears (and the anger caused by fear)... we can find actual solutions.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 06-08-16 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-08-16, 06:56 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what sadder, the story or the comments on the story. Many comments take apparent joy in knowing theses cyclists are dead.
Old 06-08-16, 07:23 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Inpd
I don't know what sadder, the story or the comments on the story. Many comments take apparent joy in knowing theses cyclists are dead.
Why a credible news service allows people to comment on the stories is beyond me. This one was particularly upsetting:
Bicyclists do this on the country road I live on and I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. Nobody wants to hit anyone (or anything) while driving a vehicle, but bicyclists need to act responsibly. As well, they should be licensed, insured for the same amount you would insure a vehicle, and the bicycle should be registered and inspected just like a vehicle. They ride on curvy winding roads around corn fields and other crops, and if you are driving a vehicle (to which the roads were designed for), you may not see them until you're right up on them (going the speed limit). In America, vehicle owners are the ones paying the transportation tax, and maintaining the roadways. Bicyclists are using them irresponsibly and it isn't shocking when one gets hit. The person you feel most sorry for is the driver of the vehicle that didn't intentionally harm anyone and was abiding by the law when they came around a corner and ran into bicyclists riding 4 wide in the middle of the road.

It's so ridiculous that one just has to shake one's head.
Old 06-08-16, 07:24 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daily Mail is basically a tabloid. Reading their comments section and expecting something besides stupidity is completely on you guys.
Old 06-08-16, 07:26 AM
mcours2006

It's not just this particular news service, it's other more credible ones too. I'd no idea what type of news service the Daily Mail is.
Old 06-08-16, 07:47 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The comments in the article are hardly surprising but completely infuriating. The comments convey a uniquely irritating combination of ignorance, arrogance, entitlement and lack of compassion. What kind of ******* thinks an article in which five innocent people were killed is the right place to blame the victims and loudly (and anonymously) proclaim your idiocy? I hate the internet sometimes.
Old 06-08-16, 07:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3222 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 1,066 Posts
That must have been a macabre scene; so many dead is, fortunately, rare to happen in a single cycling incident.

I haven't heard this reverb through local cycling channels yet-- I'm 2hrs from K-zoo-- but this will have a chilling effect on our smallish, Michigan cycling community, I'm sure. We all know there are risks, but when it strikes so close to home, on such familiar terms, we reflexively reevaluate things, but in the end, we are not the sole controllers of our destinies. Hi-viz, mirrors, lights, Varia radar... no guarantees.

My sympathies to all who are impacted by this tragedy, the driver included; culpability is an awful burden for that person to carry.
Old 06-08-16, 07:51 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Damn. I don't have much else to say. Anything I'd say about the driver would just be venting and there's no point in that.
A true heartfelt and sad Vaya con Dios to the dead and God's Peace to their families. Hopes and wishes for recovery to the injured.
I will try to keep track of this story to see what the justice system does.
Old 06-08-16, 07:58 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Daily Mail is basically a tabloid. Reading their comments section and expecting something besides stupidity is completely on you guys.
The point is the people who are writing these comments are driving and its not an uncommon position.

It's not as though only smart people who read the NYT drive or dumb people who read tabloids drive. It's both.

Unfortunately, if you get hit there is probably a good chance the driver won't stop, particularly so if its deserted area where you need them the most.
Old 06-08-16, 08:06 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Not at all. Maybe I've just seen more loss.... or just lived longer.

If those near by the accident(?) had picked up stones and threw them at the motorist until he died. Nothing would have changed... in all of human behavioral history.

But.... modern man has at least advanced to where we help the injured... even the ones that cause the injuries.

Yet we still remain stuck in a punishment mindset. But, I think we are nearing a realization that if we set aside our fears (and the anger caused by fear)... we can find actual solutions.
You're much more of an optimist than I.

Want to know how many motorists I saw behind wheel in traffic with a smartphone blatantly glued to their ear illegally this morning? How about how many of said motorists refused to signal their lane changes or turns?

Humans in the USA are rapidly approaching being too stupid to live. A few years, people may not even know how to put food in their mouth anymore. All these reckless behaviors that everyone KNOWS and is TOLD about being reckless and idiotic and things you never do....they go and do anyway.
Old 06-08-16, 08:21 AM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ugh, another reminder why I don't ride main busy roads pretty much at all. Off road riding is where its at. Don't care if I can't go fast at all, its still 2 wheels fun.
Old 06-08-16, 08:41 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 411 Posts
That's terrible. I had a very similar "accident" some years ago, zig-zagging drunk driver hit me from behind and tried to run away.
Old 06-08-16, 08:42 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Some outlets are reporting that children were among the victims.
Old 06-08-16, 08:46 AM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
The point is the people who are writing these comments are driving and its not an uncommon position.

It's not as though only smart people who read the NYT drive or dumb people who read tabloids drive. It's both.
Good point. Doesn't matter what site they are commenting on, they are still drivers on the road with hate-filled beliefs.

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
You're much more of an optimist than I.

Want to know how many motorists I saw behind wheel in traffic with a smartphone blatantly glued to their ear illegally this morning? How about how many of said motorists refused to signal their lane changes or turns?

Humans in the USA are rapidly approaching being too stupid to live. A few years, people may not even know how to put food in their mouth anymore. All these reckless behaviors that everyone KNOWS and is TOLD about being reckless and idiotic and things you never do....they go and do anyway.
Very true. When I carpool, I have the chance to look at people in traffic and half of them are "texting" or on some other app. Pretty scary. I also recognized my dad's friend on the highway commute today (thanks to his vanity plate) who was turning without signals and even cut someone off.. he's an orthopedic surgeon.
Old 06-08-16, 09:00 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Compassion must be balanced with justice. When you harm others through intent or negligence, there has to be accountability. I'm all for treatment for addicts who are amenable to treatment, but when you knowingly break the law and cause deaths and injury, such treatment should take place behind bars. It's one thing to be an addict, it's another thing to willfully place others in danger because of your addiction i.e. getting behind the wheel while under the influence. I'm not for lynch mobs but neither am I for patting them on the head and making them promise not to do it again. I've seen WAY too many innocent lives lost or forever changed by drunks on their third or fourth DUI and/or driving under suspension.
Old 06-08-16, 09:21 AM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
This is the kind of story that makes me consider selling my road bike. Jesus H. Christ. 5 people, and maybe more of the injured. If it wasn't deliberate, how the hell do you not see a group this large, even if you are hammered and/or texting??? Horrendous.
Old 06-08-16, 09:29 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Why a credible news service allows people to comment on the stories is beyond me. This one was particularly upsetting:
Bicyclists do this on the country road I live on and I'm surprised there aren't more accidents. Nobody wants to hit anyone (or anything) while driving a vehicle, but bicyclists need to act responsibly. As well, they should be licensed, insured for the same amount you would insure a vehicle, and the bicycle should be registered and inspected just like a vehicle. They ride on curvy winding roads around corn fields and other crops, and if you are driving a vehicle (to which the roads were designed for), you may not see them until you're right up on them (going the speed limit). In America, vehicle owners are the ones paying the transportation tax, and maintaining the roadways. Bicyclists are using them irresponsibly and it isn't shocking when one gets hit. The person you feel most sorry for is the driver of the vehicle that didn't intentionally harm anyone and was abiding by the law when they came around a corner and ran into bicyclists riding 4 wide in the middle of the road.

It's so ridiculous that one just has to shake one's head.
The comments were even worse in Fox. Just blatantly horrible. I hope this criminal can never again get a drivers license after doing time in jail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.