Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

150 pounder on Campagnolo Zonda?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-16, 02:15 PM
truflip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for some real world experience here from riders who are around my weight and ride on the Campagnolo Zondas. Been researching a lot and close to pulling the trigger but i cant shake up the comments about it being too stiff for light riders. I know this is subjective and probably ones body is more sensitive to rough roads than others. I ride mostly the same routes and i know some days everything just feels smoother.

So anyway, any thoughts from owners who are around my weight? Will I get "bumped around" with these wheels? I have the stock RS010 wheels and the only other comparison I have is with 2016 Reynolds Assault SLG. I felt the improvement in ride quality and performance but it didn't feel like $2100 better (that's me in denial so i dont blow $2k on wheels).

TIA!
Old 06-10-16, 02:20 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by truflip
I'm looking for some real world experience here from riders who are around my weight and ride on the Campagnolo Zondas. Been researching a lot and close to pulling the trigger but i cant shake up the comments about it being too stiff for light riders. I know this is subjective and probably ones body is more sensitive to rough roads than others. I ride mostly the same routes and i know some days everything just feels smoother.

So anyway, any thoughts from owners who are around my weight? Will I get "bumped around" with these wheels? I have the stock RS010 wheels and the only other comparison I have is with 2016 Reynolds Assault SLG. I felt the improvement in ride quality and performance but it didn't feel like $2100 better (that's me in denial so i dont blow $2k on wheels).

TIA!

"Too stiff" wheels is code. It really means "over-inflated tires."
Old 06-10-16, 02:32 PM
Slybry

Bikes: 99' Torelli Nitro Express, 90' Miyata 414, 09' Guru Evolo, Eigthinch Scrambler

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not 150, but at 170 I really like the ride of my zondas, definitely don't feel overly stiff, and like above might be worth running 25's or 28's if you can manage for a more comfortable ride.
Old 06-10-16, 02:42 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I've never heard of someone complaining that wheels are too stiff.
Old 06-10-16, 03:00 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Too stiff for light riders? Where did you read such nonsense?
Old 06-11-16, 11:10 AM
Vinnems

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I roll them, and I was 150 when I started riding on them, and I'm down to 145 now which is still pretty near. I've ridden on them for two months, put near 1000 miles on them.
I was concerned when buying them because of the low spoke count and how poor the roads are in Los Angeles, but these wheels are SOLID. I've slammed them on pot holes, over large rocks, taken them over curbs, etc. When I brought my bike in for a tune up, they were still perfectly true the shop said. Very well built wheels.
I will say this, the front wheel is flexy, more than I was used to. Since this was a brand new bike with brand new wheels and component, they only left a few millimeters of space between the the brake pads and the wheel. So when I stood up and put more weight on the front to hammer it out, the wheels would start rubbing on the brakes. I just opened them up a little more and everything is fine.
Old 06-11-16, 11:58 PM
truflip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From intheknowcycling.com

"And I don’t recommend the Zonda or Racing 3 for lighter riders; they are noticeably heavier, don’t accelerate as well and the ride will feel harsh for riders under 155lbs/70kg and not terribly comfortable for heavier ones either."

I think it speaks of vertical compliance so when riding over rough roads there isn't much give.
Old 06-12-16, 01:30 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh less than 140 pounds, and one of the wheelsets I ride is Fulcrum Racing Zero, basically the twin to Campy Shamal. They are stiff, but as a lighter rider, I can run less pressure in the tires, typically around low 70/80ish front/rear.