Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cyclist hit by a car... what should I do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 09:42 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts

This is Mississauga, Ontario.
I see the car go by me and the next thing I know the car is right in front of me and smash. I was heading straight on a green light and she decided to make a right turn right there. Nothing I could have done in 2 seconds. Nothing.

Helmet always on, strong blinking strobe in the front, strong blinking red at the back.
I took photos of myself, the car at the scene, her licence and insurance, got get phone number. Helmet is ok and not scratched so I am pretty sure I did not smash my head. Just feel shook up.
I could post photos of all this here but I dont think that would be right.... for now.
My shoulder took the brunt of this fall and now its hurting me more and more. But I can move it ok so its just bruising I think. I will still go to a walk-in clinic later on for sure.
Old 06-21-16, 09:46 AM
mrchaotica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
File a police report. (IMO you should have called the police to the scene, but a report after the fact is better than nothing.)
Old 06-21-16, 10:12 AM
Corbin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to the hospital to get it looked at. I think it may make things go easier with her insurance when they see you need medical attention.

If I ever get hit and live to tell the story: I am going to stick my open palm out and just give them that look. Pay day$$$
Old 06-21-16, 10:28 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
After the fact about the only thing you could do is file the report with the police. If you have to file a claim for damaged bike or medical stuff, the policy report will prove useful.

In the future I would stay there until the police arrived.
Old 06-21-16, 10:30 AM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
just went thru this, so here's the drill...

police report
physician's report
hire a lawyer
Old 06-21-16, 10:30 AM
canuckcicle
ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉunſ

Bikes: penny farthing

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in Ontario the police won't come if there are no injuries and the damage is less than $1,000. I live in the GTA and ride int the Milton area a lot.

As Corbin said, go to the hospital and get a full checkup including x-rays. Then go to an accident reporting center to make a report.

You're entitled to have all rehab expenses beyond what ohip covers covered by the drivers insurance. This includes physio therapy, chiropractors, massage therapy, etc.

if you don't have auto insurance the drivers insurance is liable for replacement costs. If you have insurance, your carrier will cover the depreciated value of your losses minus your deductible.
Old 06-21-16, 10:31 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Make sure you post every detail online so it is on record. Defense attorneys love that.
Old 06-21-16, 10:34 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
I see the car go by me and the next thing I know the car is right in front of me and smash. I was heading straight on a green light and she decided to make a right turn right there. Nothing I could have done in 2 seconds. Nothing.

Helmet always on, strong blinking strobe in the front, strong blinking red at the back.
I took photos of myself, the car at the scene, her licence and insurance, got get phone number. Helmet is ok and not scratched so I am pretty sure I did not smash my head. Just feel shook up.
I could post photos of all this here but I dont think that would be right.... for now.
My shoulder took the brunt of this fall and now its hurting me more and more. But I can move it ok so its just bruising I think. I will still go to a walk-in clinic later on for sure.
How was this her fault? Maybe I missed something, but it sounds like you hit her.
Old 06-21-16, 10:37 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mrchaotica
File a police report. (IMO you should have called the police to the scene, but a report after the fact is better than nothing.)
+1 The police report will also be needed for insurance claims (if any). OP, sorry to hear about your accident and hope you are not too shook up. Also agree with the others to go to the doctor and schedule a chest x-ray for your shoulder. Doesn't sound like anything is broken but never hurts to be safe and check it anyways. I went through a similar x-ray when I went down on my right side a few years ago. I had some bruised ribs which sucked but I could still ride so wasn't as bad as it could have been...

Last edited by ptempel; 06-21-16 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 10:39 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
How was this her fault? Maybe I missed something, but it sounds like you hit her.
Standard right-hook. Typically the cyclist has zero reaction time, hits near the right rear wheel.

To the OP: Inspect your bike, take pictures, if there's significant damage, you probably want to have the bike inspected at a local bike shop for further frame & fork damage.

Last edited by gsa103; 06-21-16 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 10:55 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 395 Posts

Clearly the drivers fault. However with some forethought right turn hooks are largely avoidable. Assume every car coming up on you at every intersection or drive way is going to turn right and be prepared to stop or turn with them.

Doesn't excuse the drivers fault, but in the future you can avoid this.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-21-16, 10:57 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5983 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,618 Posts
The first and possibly most important step is to ask the Mods to delete the entire thread.

Failing that, edit your OP, to something short and sweet like "I was right hooked, my bike was trashed, and I'm in pain ---- how to proceed. Please help?"

Posting about accidents cannot do you any good, but it can do you harm when you pursue the claim.

As to how to proceed, there are options, but all begin with filing the accident report, and seeing what the drier or his/her insurance company is willing to pay. Some cases witn minor injuries get settled fairly with little effort beyond making the claim. If not, and you own an insured car, your own claims agent might step in and negotiate a settlement for you (they might be obligated to do so under the terms of your policy).

You will also want to be checked out for any health complications, and this will be at the driver's expense, but if you're positive you're 100% OK, you might skiip this if they are willing to settle quickly. Sometimes bypassing the medical check can help negotiations if the insurance company understands that you're willing to do so, sparing the cost, for a fast and fair settlement. (I used this tradeoff to get full payment for bike damage + some small compensation for a day of lost work, and some pain for a week or so).

But as I said ----REMOVE ALL DETAILS FROM THIS THREAD ASAP.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-21-16, 06:13 PM
bgrider

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
I was going to ask the same question.

But seriously, it is entirely possible for a vehicle to turn in front of you leaving you no time to react. Many a rider has experienced this first hand. It's also possible for a rider to broadside a vehicle when it was possible for the rider to avoid the accident. If sufficient data is available, it is possible to reconstruct the incident and determine who is at fault. Was your ride logged with a GPS? That would establish your speed leading into the accident.

The good news, unless something changes, is that it sounds like you will be ok. Good Luck dealing with the issue and keep us posted.
Old 06-21-16, 06:14 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
I had a right hook a few years ago. I was riding in the bike lane, doing about 30 km/h when a car suddenly-and with no signal-turned right into a restaurant parking lot. I tried to turn with him but fell over. No damage to the bike and injuries, but I got his details and filed a police report when I got home, just in case something came up later. In Quebec we have no-fault, and any road accident is covered by government insurance with payouts at government rates. No suing allowed.

The police came to my home, took my particulars, and then SENT AN AMBULANCE!!! I had to sign a release that I refused transport to a hospital. Apparently it's government protocol to automatically send an ambulance for a car/cycling accident...
Old 06-21-16, 06:31 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Make sure you post every detail online so it is on record. Defense attorneys love that.
Haha

Yes, I believe #1 rule is don't post anything about your accident on the internet if you plan on pursuing anything legally
Old 06-21-16, 07:09 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Yes, I believe #1 rule is don't post anything about your accident on the internet if you plan on pursuing anything legally
But if you plan on pursuing it illegally, post all the details so we can keep up with your trial.
Old 06-21-16, 07:33 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Did she say "I'm sorry!". If so, did you record it?
Old 06-22-16, 06:11 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Got myself checked out and all good just scrapes and bruised shoulder. I am going to the police station today and ask them whether to file a report or not.
Today I am going to my bike shop to have them look at the bike. I already know the front wheel isnt straight anymore. Just need to check the rest.
I phoned and texted her last night trying to get in touch with zero reply. You would think that she would be calling me asking if I am OK not the other way around.
Old 06-22-16, 06:31 AM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
contacting someone and inquiring as to how they're doing after a collision could be construed as an admission of guilt.

the driver's ins company has likely advised her to keep quiet and let them do the talking.

if your property damages are minimal and there's no medical complications, you can try and negotiate a small settlement on your own.

but, if things are more complicated, especially with the medical claim, you're should def consider legal help.

Last edited by FullGas; 06-22-16 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-22-16, 07:04 AM
jtuds

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5 and Rocky Mountain Vapour

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Inform the police and go to a doctor asap. You were in a traffic accident and you're injured.

Diamond and Diamond...jk....or not...
Old 06-22-16, 07:15 AM
mrchaotica

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to the police station today and ask them whether to file a report or not.
Asking them whether you should file a report isn't necessarily a good idea. Some police in some jurisdictions will say "no" even when you should, just because having fewer reports makes their crime stats look better. I have no idea if that's an issue in Mississauga, but it can be elsewhere

Instead, if you think a report is justified then insist upon it whether the police want to take it or not.
Old 06-22-16, 07:16 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Bad idea to post about your accident. It can only hurt your case.