Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist killed in NC

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist killed in NC

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 03:43 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclist killed in NC

Apparently, the driver didn't even slow down.

GH
Old 07-26-16, 03:56 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The driver wasn't even supposed to be on the road...

That's terrible.
Old 07-26-16, 04:54 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Driving with revoked license to me = manslaughter.
Old 07-26-16, 04:58 PM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Bikes: Northwoods Springdale Women's bike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
I'm glad I am used to both driving defensively, and walking the same way. When I am riding my bike I am going to watch the cars as best I can. Accidents will happen I know, but they get crazy. Unfortunately, I see cyclists as well, taking too much for granted, getting too close to the car lane, riding in a row/side by side in the bike lane, which puts the outside person more in harms way. I don't count on drivers seeing me, let alone caring enough to give me a bit of extra room
Old 07-26-16, 05:03 PM
abbynormal
my first Ride, 1954-55

Bikes: Northwoods Springdale Women's bike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
At the very least, I agree 100%. Even if a bike is close to the drive lane, a person in a car needs to slow down and even stop if they can't move over a bit, which I always do with cyclers. I don't understand the mentality of speed-freaks, they have to hurry up to get dead in a vehicle seems like And sadly, it's usually someone else that has to die for their negligence
Old 07-26-16, 05:39 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 531 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Your logic escapes me.
Old 07-26-16, 09:00 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I was actually talking to my doctor today about sad situations like this that result in a cyclist dying.

Because, I have had physical neurological(and incurable) health problems all my life, and been hit several times. But, I have never needed to go to the hospital following a crash.

Because of that, I have immense guilt of the 'why them instead of me' variety.

To give you an idea of what I am getting at. My younger cousin died June 24, 2016. She was only 40yrs.-old, and 8.5yrs. younger than me. Her only health problem was being a chain-smoker. That is serious, in and of itself. But she had not been a chain-smoker since birth. I have had my health problems since birth.

RIP to the cyclist

RIP Carrie(my cousin)
Old 07-27-16, 11:08 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Your logic escapes me.
His license was revoked, and he was driving, anyway. That makes it "willful" (intentional), which makes any crime committed while willfully driving on a revoked license more serious, thus warranting a more severe punishment.

Unless you were suggesting that "manslaughter" was too light a sentence?
Old 07-27-16, 11:30 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
His license was revoked, and he was driving, anyway. That makes it "willful" (intentional), which makes any crime committed while willfully driving on a revoked license more serious, thus warranting a more severe punishment.

Unless you were suggesting that "manslaughter" was too light a sentence?
the majority of drivers that kill people with their cars are NOT driving with revoked licenses. In many cases the only citeable offense that might be connected to the incident is some kind of moving violation like "failure to yield". In fact many jurisdictions require the simultaneous occurrence of two different moving violations before an accident can be considered a criminal case. Your opinion falls squarely in that huge legal loophole. THIS incident should be considered manslaughter because the driver's license was revoked. How about, even if the driver's license was in perfect order, and his driving history unsullied, the occasion of the present tragedy be considered for and what it clearly is: manslaughter. The conditions are purely a distraction. They represent our fascination with the moral turpitude of others. Someone is NOT a worse individual because they are doing something illegal at the time of a tragedy anymore than someone is a "better" person because they are not doing something illegal at the time of a tragedy.
Old 07-31-16, 01:54 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 491 Posts
The driver was charged with "misdemeanor death". I have a couple of problems with this, 1.) Since when is the killing of another human through sheer negligence a "misdemeanor"? 2.) The charge is "death"? That sounds euphemistic, to me. Death is a condition.., not an action: Murder, manslaughter, vehicular homicide...all actions. Death, paralysis, pain are conditions.
It sounds like someone is trying to protect the guilty party.

Old 07-31-16, 01:58 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
...Since when is the killing of another human through sheer negligence a "misdemeanor"? ...It sounds like someone is trying to protect the guilty party.
No presidential politics in here, please.
Old 08-01-16, 04:59 AM
Equinox

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
the majority of drivers that kill people with their cars are NOT driving with revoked licenses. In many cases the only citeable offense that might be connected to the incident is some kind of moving violation like "failure to yield". In fact many jurisdictions require the simultaneous occurrence of two different moving violations before an accident can be considered a criminal case. Your opinion falls squarely in that huge legal loophole. THIS incident should be considered manslaughter because the driver's license was revoked. How about, even if the driver's license was in perfect order, and his driving history unsullied, the occasion of the present tragedy be considered for and what it clearly is: manslaughter. The conditions are purely a distraction. They represent our fascination with the moral turpitude of others. Someone is NOT a worse individual because they are doing something illegal at the time of a tragedy anymore than someone is a "better" person because they are not doing something illegal at the time of a tragedy.
Our fascination with the moral turpitude of others? I don't understand. Your wording makes this crash sound like a random un-avoidable occurrence, like a tree branch falling on someone's head.
For good reason, society decided that the perpetrator should not be driving. This decision was made to protect innocent members of society from precisely this type of incident. By ignoring this restriction, it does make this person a "worse" individual. It makes the person a sociopath. The bottom line is that the cyclist would still be alive had the perpetrator obeyed the restrictions imposed upon him/her by society.
Old 08-01-16, 08:47 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
The driver was charged with "misdemeanor death". I have a couple of problems with this, 1.) Since when is the killing of another human through sheer negligence a "misdemeanor"? 2.) The charge is "death"? That sounds euphemistic, to me. Death is a condition.., not an action: Murder, manslaughter, vehicular homicide...all actions. Death, paralysis, pain are conditions.
It's a charge based on state MV statute -- the "someone" trying to protect the guilty party in this case is state law, and if anyone from that state doesn't like it, they can certainly lobby for changes to the law.

Originally Posted by Equinox
For good reason, society decided that the perpetrator should not be driving. This decision was made to protect innocent members of society from precisely this type of incident. By ignoring this restriction, it does make this person a "worse" individual. It makes the person a sociopath. The bottom line is that the cyclist would still be alive had the perpetrator obeyed the restrictions imposed upon him/her by society.
What is the "good reason" for which this driver's license was revoked? Did the reasoning include as you claim, "to protect innocent members of society from precisely this type of accident"? The "worse" part of this situation may include aggravated charges not reported, but the driver was also charged with driving with a revoked license, so that would be an additional charge. It certainly does not definitively make this person a sociopath. And were this driver not on the road, it is no guarantee that the cyclist would still be alive.
Old 08-01-16, 08:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18521 Post(s)
Liked 15,862 Times in 7,449 Posts

Try investigating before speculating. It's based on NC statutory law. And, FYI, until a few years ago, a guilty party couldn't even get jail time:

Law stiffens penalties in death-by-motor vehicle cases :: WRAL.com
Old 08-01-16, 09:25 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Equinox
Our fascination with the moral turpitude of others? I don't understand. Your wording makes this crash sound like a random un-avoidable occurrence, like a tree branch falling on someone's head.
It does not. It is a rational observation that a cyclist is dead because a driver hit them. The drivers incompetence is what killed the cyclist. We do not know what their license was suspended for. It may, or may, not have anything to do with actual driving proficiency. In my 20's I had friends whose licenses had been suspended for failure to pay insurance. That didn't automatically make them incompetent drivers. All of them continued to drive without incident and none killed anyone. Am I to understand that you are o.k. with the present system of treating drivers who kill people as victims as long as their papers are in order? They can demonstrate egregious carelessness or incompetence and the issue of their complicity in a death becomes purely a civil matter? You would change your tune if a careless driver hit someone you cared about. If you do not have the financial resources to launch a wrongful death lawsuit the driver gets on with the rest of their life after paying the State whatever fines might be relevant pursuant to their specific infractions against the motor vehicle code.
Old 08-01-16, 09:44 AM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
And were this driver not on the road, it is no guarantee that the cyclist would still be alive.
I've been following this back and forth, which appears to me mostly different ways of phrasing things, and different ways of filling in the blanks on a rather sparse article.

But man, you're really reaching here.

This could be said about any crime or misbehavior whatsoever. If Al Queda hadn't crashed those planes on 911, there's no guarantee all those people would still be alive because some other terrorist organization could have done the same thing.

The fact that some other miscreant might have done the same thing in no way modifies the culpability of the person who actually did do it.
Old 08-01-16, 09:47 AM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. If you do not have the financial resources to launch a wrongful death lawsuit the driver gets on with the rest of their life after paying the State whatever fines might be relevant pursuant to their specific infractions against the motor vehicle code.
The other problem with treating negligent deaths as a purely civil matter is that the deterrent applies only to people with substantial assets. If you get run over by a jillionaire, great. If you get run over by a person of average or below average means, the civil route is essentially a dead end.
Old 08-01-16, 10:01 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by alathIN
But man, you're really reaching here.

The fact that some other miscreant might have done the same thing in no way modifies the culpability of the person who actually did do it.
True -- it's more anti-hyperbole to make a point about the hyperbole that crops up in threads like this.

And of course it does not modify the culpability of the person who actually did it. It was not implied and should not have been inferred. Since the driver is facing charges already, it's been established that there is cause to suspect the driver is responsible.

I hope that the aggravating circumstance of driving with a revoked license is good enough reason for the prosecutor in the case not to plea down from the misdemeanor death charge.
Old 08-01-16, 10:13 AM
RidesaJapanese

Bikes: Takara Deluxe Touring 12 speed, Trek Tracklight 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I have yet another reason to despise the American judicial system.
Old 08-04-16, 06:08 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts