Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike recommendations ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 03:26 PM
Krell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm almost 60, still riding PA single track, and in need of a new mountain bike. The trails closest to me have tight switchbacks, trees that you have to thread between, and shorter steep often rooted climbs. It's the typical PA terrain with exposed roots, "baby heads" and plenty of down lumber / log piles . Snow rides are routine. Plush travel is preferred over big hit capability as I'm not doing drops over 18" or long chutes any longer out of self preservation. Low bicycle weight and a wide gear ratio are now major factors with age.

My current bike is a 26" Giant Trance with 140mm suspension which has served me quite well. A recent test ride on another major brand $3000 27.5" with 120mm suspension was disappointing. I'm thinking of a 29" 140mm machine somewhere in the $5,000. I really don't care if it's aluminum or carbon fiber. Opinions please?
Old 08-13-16, 06:08 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Look at the new line of 27.5x3" CF Specialized bikes. Light weight, great traction, climbing gears, good quality and more.
The plus sized tires are not as big as a fat bike but still allow for some light snow riding, great tire absorption of those pesky roots and outstanding traction in the turns without the rolling over feeling.
Old 08-14-16, 06:37 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats wrong with the Trance?
Old 08-14-16, 06:42 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...1/26041/92803/
Old 08-14-16, 06:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8380 Post(s)
Liked 9,264 Times in 4,555 Posts
Last year Evil bikes introduced "The Following" which got really good reviews. This year they came out with a longer travel version called "Insurgent". Both feature Dave Weagle suspension.

Competitive Cyclist has the Bronson on sale.

Last edited by big john; 08-14-16 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-14-16, 07:19 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If I was buying new I'd look very closely at the Specialized 27.5+ bikes.
Old 08-16-16, 05:09 PM
Krell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since the general consensus here has been leaning toward Specialized and 27+ I checked into the Specialized FSR Fattie. Low and behold.... Promise ! Another bike that caught my interest was the Salsa Redpoint 26+/27.5 https://salsacycles.com/bikes/redpoin...int_carbon_x01 I did not notice a + option on the new Trance Advanced. I have two concerns: 1) The 1x11 gearing might not have enough range for me in the winter when I go 'soft' along with the terrain. The 2x10 I test drove on a Trek was OK but lacked the high ratio I like on downhills and gravel grinds. Aftermarket gearing options are available with the E Thirteen 9-44. Another option is going for the full Monty with a Sram Eagle

2) I'm leaning toward a steeper head tube angle to keep the handling crisp. Yes I know this bucks the slack modern geometry trend but the trails here require "flick", and that preference leads me toward Evil's The Following

decisions.... decisions... what are your experiences with the modern geometry handling?
Old 08-16-16, 05:50 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If I was to buy another bike, it would be the Specialized FSR Plus. Trust me on this, the bike, handling, suspension, tires and gearing are all any Mtb rider would need. That 11 speed cassette offers a nice range of climbing and fast flats gearing. I know friends that each have one and it's a great trail bike and very versatile too.

Last edited by NYMXer; 08-16-16 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 05:52 AM
Krell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27.5 +

FWIW I tested a 2016 Stumpjumper 6Fattie and was quite impressed. The handling was more agile than I anticipated ( even on tight switchbacks.) plus, it climbed surprisingly well. The larger footprint certainly helped with the stream crossings. Familiar trails were much less punishing. Looks like the search has begun for a 27+
Old 08-31-16, 08:36 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Specialized Fuse Comp 6Fattie earlier this year. Being that i'm terrible on a MTB, the 27.5+ was a huge confidence booster, especially when i hit the sandier section or the tougher climbs. I also found the Fuse as sure footed as a mountain goat! Going up climbs that would have easily thwarted me before!

So as i progressed in my MTB skills, i decided for my birthday a few weeks ago, i wanted to look into getting a full suspension MTB. I did look at the Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie. In fact the LBS had a 2016 Comp Carbon they were clearing out... But even at sale price was a bit more than i wanted to spend. I ended up with a 2017 Trek Fuel EX 6 27.5 Plus.

I've been out a few times on the new Fuel EX and so far i'm incredibly impressed! What I find surprising is how much quicker the Fuel EX seems to accelerate over my Fuse! I compared some Strava segments and the Fuel EX just seems to be faster all around... one thing about the Fuel is it's 27.5 Plus but the tires are only 2.8" vs the 3.0" on the Fuse. Haven't dug into the specs but i'm assuming the Fuel's rims are slightly narrower and lighter as well, giving it the quicker feel...
Old 09-13-16, 02:01 PM
Krell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain bike search =paralysis by analysis.

I had called and requested pricing on a Trek Fuel ex 9.8 a few hours before reading your reply! I slightly prefer the Trek Fuel ex 27.5+ series hardware choice but would really like the Specialized 150mm of travel and 3" tire. Any updated riding impressions? Still looking... it's paralysis by analysis.
Old 09-13-16, 02:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
Except in places that Dont have a Specialized Bike dealer .. then you get another brand at your favorite bike shop.

Specialized is just a Brand amongst many from OEM factories making multiple Brands for various Importers..

SBI dealer is in a different town, Trek & Felt, amongst other brands, Are Here ..

All things being Equal, they Will Be.

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-13-16 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 05:54 PM
Krell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW My decision ultimately was in favor of an Ibis Mojo HD3+ X01. A local dealer was stellar with knowledge, product support ,and had reasonable pricing.
Old 12-03-16, 05:55 PM
Krell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to post your suggestions.
Old 12-04-16, 08:07 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8380 Post(s)
Liked 9,264 Times in 4,555 Posts
Originally Posted by Krell
FWIW My decision ultimately was in favor of an Ibis Mojo HD3+ X01. A local dealer was stellar with knowledge, product support ,and had reasonable pricing.
Great bike, how about a picture?
Old 12-04-16, 10:54 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Krell
Congrats!