Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I spent too much at my LBS

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-16, 01:34 PM
SingleSpeeDemon
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last week, I dropped by my newly-found LBS to inquire about a Hozan lockring wrench. Of course, they didn't have one in stock, but would order one for me. I ended up paying $43; twice what it would have been through Amazon.

But here's the deal; they had it at the shop within two days and I actually like the guys at this shop. No elitist attitude and they seem to appreciate folks who know how to do a little wrenching for themselves.

That's why I paid double. I had a brief moment of buyer's remorse, but building a relationship with a good LBS is priceless.

That's all.
Old 11-09-16, 01:53 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SingleSpeeDemon
Last week, I dropped by my newly-found LBS to inquire about a Hozan lockring wrench. Of course, they didn't have one in stock, but would order one for me. I ended up paying $43; twice what it would have been through Amazon.

But here's the deal; they had it at the shop within two days and I actually like the guys at this shop. No elitist attitude and they seem to appreciate folks who know how to do a little wrenching for themselves.

That's why I paid double. I had a brief moment of buyer's remorse, but building a relationship with a good LBS is priceless.

That's all.
Totally hear you. I don't guess I've felt I have over paid, but I love that I could go in there last week, after looking fruitlessly online for hours, ask them if they knew of a more elegant way to fix a problem I was having with my lighting solution, and they immediately knew the part I wanted, and ordered it in for me. I might have still been spinning my wheels, and this is after I'd reached out to the light manufacturer for suggestions. I'm tickled I have this resource available to me.
Old 11-09-16, 02:02 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I like the LBS's. And some things... I wouldn't even think about buying on-line. Like most clothing, helmets and shoes included. I prefer to buy my tires locally as well (I like to see and inspect the tires I buy).

But things like chains, and bar tape... I save a few bucks and order on-line.
Old 11-09-16, 02:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18553 Post(s)
Liked 15,952 Times in 7,492 Posts

P.S. If you didn't mind spending what you did, you spent more than you had to, but you didn't spend "too much."
Old 11-09-16, 02:35 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Support your LBS and shop local! You can't get your bike repaired online, and you can't stop by, drink coffee and talk face-to-face bike talk online!
Old 11-09-16, 05:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
At the expense of food clothing and shelter for your Family?

I've Known Guys who spent their Bike shop paycheck on Parts.
Old 11-09-16, 05:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
No biggie, I do that occasionally. I try to buy something every time I visit, especially if I take up their time with a test ride or chatting with a mechanic about solving a problem myself.

Several weeks ago I thought I'd ruined a rim. Hit a patch of loose gravel on a curve, skidded sideways two or three feet before hitting clean pavement again. I didn't fall but the sudden stop warped the rim pretty badly. I thought it was shot and figured a new wheel would cost $50-$100. The LBS mechanic literally whanged it back into shape by whapping it against a workbench, then tweaking the spokes. Took less than 10 minutes, cost only 10 bucks. Wheel is working fine several weeks and hundreds of miles of rough road riding later.

So I don't mind spending a little more now and then than it would cost me online for that kind of prompt service and expertise.
Old 11-09-16, 07:27 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 885 Times in 530 Posts
When they have to special order and I have to pay way more than I can get it from an online vendor I usually opt for the latter. My LBS(s) are invaluable for mechanical work and in stock parts though.
Old 11-09-16, 08:04 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I buy most things online but I will not go to my LBS and look at something like shoes and try them on then order them online. I figure if I don't know what I'm buying, then my LBS gets my business.
Old 11-09-16, 08:06 PM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Another benefit of going local is when you go in for really small things like zip ties or cable ferrules and just need a couple, my LBS will just reach into his stash and say here ya go, no charge.

He's also taken time to make quick adjustments for me mid ride when I pop in.

The benefits of buying local.
Old 11-09-16, 08:30 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Human Conact is priceless at times!
Old 11-09-16, 08:36 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I would really love to give every dollar I spend on bikes to my LBS...but I can't spend double. That's been pretty consistently the difference with online.

I'm happy to pay full price for work I cant do myself, or parts if I'm not sure what I need. I just cant do it if I know what I need, especially if they don't have it in stock.
Old 11-10-16, 06:05 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4784 Post(s)
Liked 1,545 Times in 1,012 Posts
You could save your LBS the trouble of overhead. Just buy the wrench on Amazon and hand your LBS friend a $20. Win Win
Old 11-10-16, 01:28 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by SingleSpeeDemon

That's all.
I totally get enjoying a local shop and supporting it. But I do it via stuff they actually have in stock and am usually happy to pay for that convenience and am also happy to pay for anything that requires trying it on or the use of their expertise.

I never do it by ordering something through them that neither saves time nor money. If they don't have it, I just order it myself which is cheaper and quicker 99 times out of 100.
Old 11-10-16, 02:38 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
pick and choose, and always throw a bone to your LBS

especially if you like them
Old 11-10-16, 02:50 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
but I will not go to my LBS and look at something like shoes and try them on then order them online.

FYI...That was at least at one time called the free rider argument, and it was (rightly, IMO) used to justify vertical trade restrictions, such as a manufacturer refusing to sell to anyone but authorized dealers, challenged under Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act.

Both manufacturers and authorized dealers put time, effort and money into stocking, learning about and promoting the manufacturer's products. If the manufacturer is forced to sell to anyone, consumers can take advantage of the expertise of the authorized dealer then walk out the door and buy from the unauthorized dealer who can sell for less because it doesn't have the same expenses as the authorized dealer.
Old 11-10-16, 02:52 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
FYI...That was at least at one time called the free rider argument, and it was (rightly, IMO) used to justify vertical trade restrictions, such as a manufacturer refusing to sell to anyone but authorized dealers, challenged under Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act.

Both manufacturers and authorized dealers put time, effort and money into stocking, learning about and promoting the manufacturer's products. If the manufacturer is forced to sell to anyone, consumers can take advantage of the expertise of the authorized dealer then walk out the door and buy from the unauthorized dealer who can sell for less because it doesn't have the same expenses as the authorized dealer.
Old 11-10-16, 03:21 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr

Don't get it. Was simply relating some antitrust jurisprudence.
Old 11-10-16, 05:00 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After one does learns to do their own wrenching, anything spent at the LBS is too much. Other than something like chain lubes or socks, and even then.

I find good prices on line that save me nearly 50% on most items I need. Tyres, water bottles, chamois creme, hubs, rims so if I have to spend $5 for a few cable ends, I'm still way ahead.

Why would I spend $300 when I could have gotten the same thing online for $150 to get free cable ends at the LBS?

Conti GP: 2 for $76 online...............$80 each at LBS
Podiumd bottles $7..........................$17 at LBS
Cinelli Cork tape $7 online.................$20-$30 at LBS
Ultegra hub $125 PER SET onine.........$120 rear only at LBS

You really think great service is giving you a free screw!
Old 11-10-16, 08:25 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm lucky. Both of the LBSs that I frequent the most price match any regular online price (not closeouts). I check online and print out the lowest price and take it with. There have actually been quite a few times the LBS met or beat the online price before we even talked price matching. I get about 50% of my stuff online as my LBSs are 45 miles away and sometimes it's just more convenient to have two-day shipping to my doorstep.
Old 11-11-16, 12:10 AM
jimb100

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll tried on shoes I needed at my lbs and bought them. I've bought a few tools, odds and ends but all else I buy on line.

If I need mechanical work, I pay the going rate.

If we're talking, they are trying to sell me something.

We have a normal business relationship. They know it and I know it, we don't romanticize it.
Old 11-11-16, 04:38 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I noticed some things online are no cheaper than at the lbs. I bought my bontrager racks and trunks at a local which were the same price as online plus I didn't have to pay shipping. I think the lbs makes a lot of their money in service. For instance one of the stores in my area saysfor a 40 buck price they will adjust your front and rear derailleurs. I would think a good mechanic can do this pretty quickly. So paying 40 bucks for this is a pretty big profit for them.
Old 11-11-16, 05:12 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
I won't overpay at any LBS UNLESS I went in and picked their brain on a particular item then I'll buy it regardless of the price. I buy about 90% of my bike needs on the internet, most the time I get free shipping, and no taxes, and all the time I get stuff for at least 50% less than the same item at an LBS. Another problem with my local LBS's is they don't carry most of the brands that have been highly reviewed on the internet either, they carry some off brand stuff the the quality is suspect, sure you can order something else but what's the purpose of that when I can order it online? And get it for a lot less!

I've never ever had any tire issues buying them online, so looking at them first is just a waste of time and money. Besides I inspect everything, tires or otherwise after I get it, if there is an issue I send it back. I've gotten far better service from online stores than I have from any LBS except for 2 in my entire 40 plus years of dealing with many LBSs! Just two in cities all over Southern California and NE Indiana, granted I haven't been to every single LBS in So California but it has become apparent that finding a good LBS with outstanding service like I can online, is the exception and not the rule. Add on top of all that the elitist attitude that seems to go along with the territory that I don't experience online. Human contact? with attitudes like that who needs human contact!
Old 11-11-16, 05:36 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I can't do half the crap I send to the shop or I just don't dig fixing flats. I learn some things along the way. He critiques my ideas. His dad runs a coffee shop in the same building the bike shop used to be in, it was his father who took over from the man who had a Schwinn dealership where I bought my first 1995 model (Classic Cruiser with the springer).

I have two generations of bike mechanics who think I put together really cool bicycles. There were dark periods between the father and son's shops when some tried to make an LBS work and failed, and it was rough. Fortunately the son is young, a family man with two young boys and I think kids in general keep him focused...a lot of sales go to parents as well as repairs.

He is blessed in that his family is strong, from his late grandfather down, inventive, and extremely fun loving. His dad branched into microbrewing as well.

My LBS owner knows I'm not rich and he helps me figure out how to be creative and how to use old as well as new parts.

He's got to find a few new bike film downloads though...
Old 11-12-16, 06:14 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I recently bought an item at the LBS and paid $13 more than what I could have bought online. Here is the break down.

Product on line: $139 plus $10 shipping, total $153
Product at LBS: $139 plus $13 tax plus $14 shipping. $166
$13 difference

I figure that I am supporting people who I know and who can offer a service. I also got the bike there and they will be providing 12 months of free service and warrantees if needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.