Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

True empty nesting!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

True empty nesting!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16, 07:32 AM
billd76
Billd76

Bikes: 07 Trek 1000 and 014 Giant Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True empty nesting!!

Morning all. Last son, Matt graduated from Penn State on December 17th. He is leaving for California on January 6th. Oldest Son graduated this past June and is living in Portland Oregon. January 6th will be a tough day. He is driving to cali with his Husky Spartacus. Sigh, I'm having a hard time letting go!! Both son's spent five years in the Marine Corps prior to college, and both feel in love with the west coast. Both graduated college with high honors! Dam super proud of both of them! I just don't know what it will be like this summer with neither of them home. I know some you had to deal with this, how did you cope? How did you put up with your spouse? I can imagine getting a lot more miles on the bike this summer, playing more guitar, maybe getting back into RC flying. See, there, I feel better already . It's just going to be tough for a few months.
Old 12-29-16, 07:35 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 629 Posts
m o r e m i l e s

Old 12-29-16, 08:17 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
My daughter has been out of the house for 7 years and my son has been out for 4.

I wish both would move back... I miss having them around all the time.

As far as more miles... he's dragged my ass across many a climb.
Old 12-29-16, 08:32 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3367 Post(s)
Liked 2,198 Times in 1,246 Posts
A good song on the subject;

Old 12-29-16, 08:39 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by billd76
Morning all. Last son, Matt graduated from Penn State on December 17th. He is leaving for California on January 6th. Oldest Son graduated this past June and is living in Portland Oregon. January 6th will be a tough day. He is driving to cali with his Husky Spartacus. Sigh, I'm having a hard time letting go!! Both son's spent five years in the Marine Corps prior to college, and both feel in love with the west coast. Both graduated college with high honors! Dam super proud of both of them! I just don't know what it will be like this summer with neither of them home. I know some you had to deal with this, how did you cope? How did you put up with your spouse? I can imagine getting a lot more miles on the bike this summer, playing more guitar, maybe getting back into RC flying. See, there, I feel better already . It's just going to be tough for a few months.
My eldest son lives in Albany OR. Oregon looks like a great place to live, so when will you be moving out there to be closer to both of them?
Old 12-29-16, 08:44 AM
billd76
Billd76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow great song!
Old 12-29-16, 09:02 AM
billd76
Billd76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
My eldest son lives in Albany OR. Oregon looks like a great place to live, so when will you be moving out there to be closer to both of them?
Yeah when we went out for the oldest son's graduation, we found Portland to be great. But from what I've been reading about "empty nest syndrome" We shouldn't move closer to them. We are actually thinking about trying Belize out
Old 12-29-16, 09:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
good luck billd76. Wifey & are have been experimenting with some mild empty nesting as our 2 kids wind their way thru college. we miss them when they leave but then get used to our freedoms while they are away & have to adjust to them returning home for holidays & the summer. ideally they will live in the next town over. far enough that we don't have to clean up after them or shop for them but close enough that we can see them once a week or so & give them a hug. going to a wake tonight for daughter's friend's 22 yr old sister that died in a fiery crash Christmas eve. I can not imagine the pain & anguish that family is being tortured with. you have so much to be thankful for & proud of. here's hoping they move closer to you guys at some point, or maybe you guys move out west! how about that idea!?
Old 12-29-16, 10:08 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
It's California, not "Cali"
It's San Fransisco, not "Frisco"
We have our rules here!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-16, 10:31 AM
billd76
Billd76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
It's California, not "Cali"
It's San Fransisco, not "Frisco"
We have our rules here!

Happy New Year!
Rule is "Cali"fornia!!!?? Say it aint so!!!
Old 12-29-16, 10:39 AM
billd76
Billd76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
good luck billd76. Wifey & are have been experimenting with some mild empty nesting as our 2 kids wind their way thru college. we miss them when they leave but then get used to our freedoms while they are away & have to adjust to them returning home for holidays & the summer. ideally they will live in the next town over. far enough that we don't have to clean up after them or shop for them but close enough that we can see them once a week or so & give them a hug. going to a wake tonight for daughter's friend's 22 yr old sister that died in a fiery crash Christmas eve. I can not imagine the pain & anguish that family is being tortured with. you have so much to be thankful for & proud of. here's hoping they move closer to you guys at some point, or maybe you guys move out west! how about that idea!?
Very sad!! I know we have been blessed beyond reproach. Prayers for the family
Old 12-29-16, 02:19 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 513 Posts
We raised our kids to go out into the world and do their thing. Daughter went away for college and no tears shed. Son signed up early for Army and no tears were shed. We accomplished our jobs and they had their lives to live.

Daughter wound up moving from S.C. back to FL because SIL's job required it. They are now 3 hours away, very well settled with 4 kids and just a 3 hour drive away.

Son is still in the Army in El Paso and grandma will be heading out next month for a weekend visit. New job will be keeping him in longer and he's fine with that.
Old 12-29-16, 02:29 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I know some you had to deal with this, how did you cope? How did you put up with your spouse? I can imagine getting a lot more miles on the bike this summer, playing more guitar, maybe getting back into RC flying. See, there, I feel better already . It's just going to be tough for a few months.
What's tough is when they call asking for money.

Have fun on the bike.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-29-16, 03:10 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 457 Posts
I'm resisting the urge. There's no guarantee my eldest will stay there and I'd hate to go chasing him all over the country when he transfers around. The younger one is right here, but he hasn't given me any grandkids yet.
Old 12-29-16, 09:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3367 Post(s)
Liked 2,198 Times in 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
My daughter has been out of the house for 7 years and my son has been out for 4.

I wish both would move back... I miss having them around all the time.

As far as more miles... he's dragged my ass across many a climb.
Croton Aqueduct and dam ?
Old 12-30-16, 12:10 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah when we went out for the oldest son's graduation, we found Portland to be great. But from what I've been reading about "empty nest syndrome" We shouldn't move closer to them. We are actually thinking about trying Belize out
Don't be surprised if your eldest doesn't join you there. Sometimes it seems like half the transplants into Oregon that I knew eventually ended up in Belize.

If not, you've got a couple of great incentives for some nice bike tours. Ride across the country to PDX, and then head south to visit the newest Californian, assuming you merely misspoke with that Cali stuff (Cali is a quite a ways south down in Columbia)
Old 12-30-16, 04:15 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Croton Aqueduct and dam ?
Yes.
Old 12-30-16, 04:35 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I actually have that album from back in college (early 70s).

My daughter and her family fell on hard times, so they're living with me until they get their feet under them again. It's a strain financially, but it's kinda nice having them around.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-30-16, 07:17 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
We encouraged our children to live abroad and see the world. Our youngest is getting a Masters of Computer Science in Amsterdam and one of our daughters graduated from the University of Milan earlier this year. She now lives in Belgium. The Oldest child has been living in Italy and Spain and now calls Barcelona home.

My wife will consider retirement in southern Europe, especially if our children remain overseas.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-30-16, 07:21 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

My son after getting his undergrad degree in history and education, went to Israel for year to teach and travel. When he returned he got his masters in autism and intellectual disabilities. He's not working as a special ed teacher.
Old 12-30-16, 10:12 AM
TomWinKC

Bikes: '15 Spec Sirrus Carbon Pro; '14 Camber Expert Carbon EVO

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
My son after getting his undergrad degree in history and education, went to Israel for year to teach and travel. When he returned he got his masters in autism and intellectual disabilities. He's not working as a special ed teacher.
Thank you to you and your son. I have a son with special needs and greatly appreciate your son's dedication and avocation.
Old 12-30-16, 11:37 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Life crawls away on you, doesn't it. But it sounds like you raised a couple of sharp, hard working young adventurers. If you had raised couch potatoes who wanted to live in your basement....... well....

This is a tribute to you and the responsible parent you were. Congratulations.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-31-16, 09:13 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
We've been empty for eight years. Kids live 2,000 miles away. We miss them and really enjoy getting together with them as often as possible. OTOH, we keep quite busy which helps. We're semi-retired which means we still work but very reduced hours. We're both involved in a lot of volunteer stuff like promoting protected bicycling and walking infrastructure and working with disadvantaged folks.

Most of all we enjoy each other and spending time together and with friends.
Old 01-01-17, 07:54 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,201 Times in 1,339 Posts
We live in Southern California and both of our twin boys have ended up in Arizona. I am really close to them as we have shared a lot if sports together, especially years of surfing. Our daughter and her husband are close by. Last October both my wife and I retired.

As for coping, yeah, we miss the kids, but we are still both very active and have been blessed with good (enough) health and good year-round weather. Our relationship has only improved as we refer to ourselves as re-newlyweds and not empty nesters.

One thing to remember is that as kids become adults and have all the same responsibilities to spouses, family, houses, and jobs as we have, they don't have the same amount of freedom as they did growing up. No different than when I got a job, left home, got married etc.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-01-17 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-01-17, 09:41 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 859 Posts
When our elder son moved out, I took over his room as a much-needed home office. When our younger son moved out, I took over his room as the guest room we never had, and it is now a nursery for our 21-month-old grandson's visits. Our elder son and his wife have great local careers, and they bought a house within 5 miles of ours, so we see them and the little guy pretty often. Our younger son is in a DPT program at a local private college, so we see him fairly often, as well, although we do not know where he and his future wife will ultimately end up. At this point I am glad we have not had to deal with the relatively long separation distances some of you have mentioned, and that many of our friends have experienced.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.