Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Ride - What do you take?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 05:31 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

I'm new to road cycling (from being just a commuter) and I was wondering, what are some essentials to have on a typical road ride?

For instance, do you take a spare tube or a patch kit? A small hand pump or CO2 cartridges? Water bottles or hydration pack? What kind of snacks do you take along? etc, etc...

Thanks!
Old 01-15-17, 05:38 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 254 Posts
Depends how long, where, cell phone and rescue options but...25-50 miles around "here"...

Tube (long remote ride - X2)
2 Co2 cartridges and infiltrator head.
Patch kit - with the intent of never using
Schrader/presta adapter
Valve wrench
Stan's no-tube sealant for pin hole flats.
1-2 plastic tire irons.
Multi tool
Government ID
$50 cash
Mobile phone
Garmin
1-2 Water bottles. Depends. One with electrolyte
1-2 Justin nut butter packs - Almond butter

All that except food, drink and phone/Garmin fits in the WB cage or seat pack.
Old 01-15-17, 05:57 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I would add a chain tool and a spoke wrench. I don't do CO2, so I take a frame pump. And something absorbent for cleaning my glasses.

Old 01-15-17, 06:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
On the bike:
mini frame pump
garmin
fly6
saddlebag: tube, patches, co2 cartridge, tire lever
bottles

Jersey pockets:
phone
ID and money
epi-pen
food if it's going to be 90' or more
Old 01-15-17, 06:25 PM
RoadieDropper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Water, phone (only for monitoring), a tube, co2 head, 2 cartridges, tire levers, chain breaker.
Old 01-15-17, 06:37 PM
Suffelch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the most on a paved trail that I drive to.

Amongst all of the other items people are naming I always have a duffle bag with street clothes just in case we want to grab a beer afterwards. Towel and baby wipes too.
Old 01-15-17, 06:56 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Communication/Navigation: Cell Phone, Garmin
Safety: Rear - Flasher, Front - Headlight (night) Strobe (day, sometimes)
Emergency/Repair: Tube, Inflator, 2 Cartridges, Patch Kit, Tire Lever, Tire Boot, Cash
Water/Fuel: When Needed, In the Amount Needed
Warmer Months: AfterBite (bee sting topical)

Last edited by on the path; 01-15-17 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 07:13 PM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+ miles
2 tubes
Patch kit
Pump
2 GUs or shot blocks
Mini tool kit
Tire lever
Phone
Wallet

Less than 50
Same as above but 1 bottle a 1 tire.
Old 01-15-17, 07:15 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Tube, patch, CO2, tire iron, multi-tool, in a saddle bag.

Phone wallet in my pocket. Bottle of water, straight. Something to eat if it's going to be 2.5 hours or more.
Old 01-15-17, 07:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4818 Post(s)
Liked 1,554 Times in 1,019 Posts
In a small seatbag:
2x tubes
2x CO2
CO2 head
2x Tire levers
KMC quicklinks
Patch kit
Mini-tool
2x surgical gloves

On my person -- couple gels, couple Clif bars, wallet with xeroxed ID and insurance card, cash and debit card, phone in a ziploc. In cold weather I will bring a couple of the chemical handwarmer and footwarmer packs as well.

On bike -- 2 water bottles - typically one with water (sometimes with a Nuun tablet), the other usually with gatorade + whey mixture.
Old 01-15-17, 08:14 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7729 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,931 Posts
I take one or two tubes, a patch kit, and int he patch kit, several glueless patches, which are useless over the long term but if yo get three flats in one ride, you probably would rather stick on a tube band-aid than sit by the side of the road messing with glue. I know I would.

I carry a mini-pump because even if I rarely use it, I have had rides where I have had multiple flats, and it flat sucks .... but it sucks worse if you have patched tubes you cannot inflate because you only brought two CO2 charges.

Otherwise ... pretty much everyone brings the same things because those are what you will need.
Old 01-15-17, 08:39 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 803 Times in 427 Posts
I take all the usual things that people mentioned above. But, I don't think I saw anyone mention reading glasses. As I progress through my mid-50s I still have generally good vision. I can see like a hawk for things more than three feet away. But I need non-perscription reading glasses for anything closer...like reading the odometer/computer, reading the cell phone that I've taken along, maybe if I stop at for a food/beverage replenishment, even changing a flat.

Dan
Old 01-15-17, 08:53 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 537 Times in 368 Posts
I wrap the spare tube in a piece of tyvex from an overnight letter envelope. It helps protect the tube in my saddle bag, and makes a good boot to fix a big slit in a tire. (I've used folded dollar bills for boots, they work great.)

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I take all the usual things that people mentioned above. But, I don't think I saw anyone mention reading glasses. As I progress through my mid-50s I still have generally good vision. I can see like a hawk for things more than three feet away. But I need non-perscription reading glasses for anything closer...like reading the odometer/computer, reading the cell phone that I've taken along, maybe if I stop at for a food/beverage replenishment, even changing a flat.

Dan
The Hydrotac stick-on bifocals work great. I cut one in half with a razor knife and trimmed the corners, each about the size of my index fingernail, so just the area between the shifters is in close focus. They don't fall off, even if I rinse the glasses under the faucet. Very nice. I think they are available at drug stores, and you can find them on line, of course.

I have prescription inserts on my bike glasses, set to distance single vision, with the stick-ons attached. My eye doctor told me what power to get. ( +2.00 in my case.)

It took about two rides to get used to the bifocal line (my regular glasses are progressive, no line.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-16-17 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 09:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5990 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,622 Posts
To me the ability to deal with a flat is part of the bike. That mean a spare tubular tire, or tube, a pump, and tire levers. Besides that I don't have any necessities, but I do carry ID in case I should be unconscious. lastly some emergency dough, even if it's to buy a coke because I've run out of water.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-17-17, 07:44 AM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Saddle bag:
Tube, patches, spare link, latex gloves, cotton balls, multi tool, inflator w/ 2 co2 cartridges.

Jersey:
Cellphone, car keys
If a solo ride 25+miles a cliff bar and 1-2 spare bottles.
Group ride w/ rest stops I only have the spare cliff bar.

Bike:
Garmin and usually 2 water bottles one plain, one w/ electrolytes of some form. I've been dehydrated a few times in my life and would rather take the weight penalty and pee breaks than become dehydrated again.
Old 01-17-17, 07:49 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Stuff to fix two flat tires, couple hundred bucks, ID, nine millimeter, two radios, small red blinky.

oh, and an ID like card that says I get free Airlife rides with a certain company. I'd hate to get ktfo and then be on the hook for a $26k ride.

Last edited by Jiggle; 01-17-17 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 08:19 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A couple of Advil and a Benadryl tablet.

If I'm on an organized ride drinking out of those big water coolers and eating unknown food at rest stops I'll bring an Immodium tablet as well. I've seen those round water coolers being filled with a common garden hose.

-Tim-
Old 01-17-17, 08:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,092 Times in 7,555 Posts
Did you commute on dirt and not carry water and some way to remedy a flat?
Old 01-17-17, 08:27 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Group ride: Tube, CO2 cart, inflator, multitool, $20, tire boot. All in a Ziploc. Food, always. One or two water bottles. 1,500 lumen light on front and 2 watt tail light (I almost always ride in the early morning). Cellphone in middle back pocket. Sometimes a spare pair of gloves / arm / leg warmers / extra hat.

Alone: add another tube and another cart.

It never ceases to amaze me that people ride packing.
Old 01-17-17, 08:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,092 Times in 7,555 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
If I'm on an organized ride drinking out of those big water coolers and eating unknown food at rest stops I'll bring an Immodium tablet as well. I've seen those round water coolers being filled with a common garden hose.

-Tim-

At one rest stop on an organized ride I did they had pans of boiled potatoes. Toothpicks were provided for picking them up. One guy walked up the table, grabbed a potato with his gloved hand, ate the potato, licked his fingers clean and proceeded to stick his fingers back into the pan for another.

Several years ago on Cycle Oregon a noro virus swept through the week long event of more than 2,000 people. Hundreds of people became sick. I wasn't there that year, but I read horror stories on the event's forum of people coming out of their tents and puking before they could make it to a porta-potty. (Not that I would ever want to puke in a porta-potty.) After that, they instituted a rule requiring you to remove your gloves and use hand sanitizer before grabbing snacks.
Old 01-17-17, 08:32 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Saddle bag with: 1 tube, 2 CO2s, an inflator head, a tire lever, and a small multi tool.

In my pockets: Cleat covers if I plan on stopping anywhere, a small camera if I'm riding somewhere with nice views, and my cell phone. I'll carry maybe 1-2 nutrigrain bars or similar if the ride is going to be longer than 2 hours, otherwise no food. I'll also bring a credit card if it's a group ride with a store stop.

On the bike itself- 1 bottle of water if the ride is under maybe 1.5 hours, 2 if it's longer and/or very hot.

In my experience people tend to carry way more than they actually need. I know we all take flat kits because flats happen a few times a year, but do you really need a chain tool and spare links? How often does a chain snap anyway? I can see needing lots of gear if you're touring, but for your average recreational ride you don't need very much at all.
Old 01-17-17, 08:33 AM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't commute with my bike; but what I bring on a ride:

2x tubes
1x Multi-tool with a chain tool
(I don't bring a patch kit because, honestly, if I've had such bad luck I've burned through both of my spare tubes; I'm just gonna give up and call a ride)
Water, and for longer rides, mixed with electrolytes and potentially a gel or two
4x lights (2 front, 2 rear, generally use one each, and have the others there as spares. If I'm riding mid-day, I just bring two, because one failing is not really 'critical', like losing one in the evening would be)
Garmin
Cellphone
Wallet with ID, Cash and my debit card
Helmet
Sunglasses
Old 01-17-17, 08:35 AM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take a FIRST AID KIT with gauze and medical tape so I can patch my bleeding flesh if I crash! A good samaritan item to have.

Tim- There's nothing wrong with hose water, It's the same stuff as comes out of your sink.
Old 01-17-17, 08:44 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 230 Posts
Saddle bag: 2 tubes, patches, tire tools, multi tool.

Jersey: wallet, garage door opener, keys, cell phone and facial tissues (cause my nose runs like a faucet).

Bike: 2 X 24 oz water bottles, frame pump, front/rear lights and cycle computer.
Old 01-17-17, 08:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
I might be looking at this question backwards. but I have a standard bike bag that carries the same stuff regardless of where I ride. the only thing that changes is the spare tubes that I carry. the hybrids take one size while my road bike takes another size. if I were using the same bike for commuting as joy rides, nothing would change

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.