Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Arm Screens?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Arm Screens?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 02:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Arm Screens?

I'm intrigued by the idea of those white arms screens.

For those who use them, what is the benefit? How much do they help? Under what conditions do they help most?

What brand or model do you recommend?

-Tim-
Old 05-02-17, 02:23 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
A number of companies make arm and leg warmers for cycling and running. The idea is that you can wear them on cool mornings or if the weather changes, but stow them in a jersey pocket when they aren't needed. I bought some but find I rarely use them. Avoid the really cheap knock-offs and you'll be fine. Brand is a matter of fit, personal preference and brand loyalty. I have thought of trying the extremely lightweight white ones to reduce sun exposure on blistering days, but don't know if the wicking and SPF would outweigh the insulating properties.

Don't confuse these with compression garments which come in many forms for legs, calves, ankles, forearms, wrists, abs/back, as well as socks. There is a lot of debate about their value to athletic performance, but there are some medical conditions where they are beneficial to prevent blood stasis (pooling) in the lower extremities. Some use them during athletic endeavors, others use them during recovery, some both.
Old 05-02-17, 02:28 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If you want to use them for sun protection in hot weather, you want to make sure they ride all the way up and under your jersey arm sleeves.

I came to the conclusion that a long-sleeve summer jersey is much more comfortable and less of a pain to deal with.
Old 05-02-17, 02:30 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I use the white Craft arm coolers. I think they are UPF 50. I've never been burned with them but they still recommend putting sun screen under them (maybe as a CYA measure)
Old 05-02-17, 03:30 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I live in very hot and sunny south Florida and few people here use them, maybe they're just too hot or something, not sure. I just make sure to use a good SPF 50-70 dry/sport sunscreen and I've yet to get a burn
Old 05-02-17, 03:44 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
For those who use them, what is the benefit? How much do they help? Under what conditions do they help most?
One of the guys that I ride w/ who is >70 years old w/ lots of seat time/UV exposure uses "sun sleeves" even in TX heat per his dermatologist.
He recommends either the Pearl Izumi or Louis Garneau which I'll try on long rides myself.

Skin cancer is no joke.

-Bandera
Old 05-02-17, 04:03 PM
t595

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I ride a lot in the mountains of Colorado above 9000 feet and use the white sleeves for UV protection. Either that or greasy sunblock.
Old 05-02-17, 04:05 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3418 Post(s)
Liked 5,616 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I came to the conclusion that a long-sleeve summer jersey is much more comfortable and less of a pain to deal with.
Same here.
I've been wearing only long-sleeved summer jerseys for years now.
Old 05-02-17, 04:12 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, there are arm coolers and there are arm warmers. I've seen white versions of each.

Arm warmers are for chilly mornings when you expect it to warm up enough to eventually remove them. Living in New England, I've made extensive use of arm warmers clear into June and I usually bring them back out by early September.

Arm coolers provide UV protection and (theoretically) help with wicking away the sweat, etc. I've soaked mine in water to help with the cooling effect... I'm not sure they work that great. Their effectiveness is (IMHO) related to the humidity; they might work better in drier environments?
Old 05-02-17, 04:13 PM
Phugoid 

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a melanin-challenged (ok, just pale) individual with a history of skin cancer, I use sun sleeves to reduce UV exposure. I prefer these over sunblock on the arms because they don't sweat off, they don't feel greasy and they take less time to put on. I've gotten used to them and don't have a problem overheating in hot weather (it's dry in my area though).

I used the Pearl Izumi sleeves until they wore out and am now using the Voler version. Both work fine. The PIs breathed more, but the Volers stay in place better and might provide more protection since they are a more substantial fabric.
Old 05-02-17, 04:15 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
If you want to use them for sun protection in hot weather, you want to make sure they ride all the way up and under your jersey arm sleeves.

Or even just a long-sleeved base layer is less annoying. "Arm coolers" as they're frequently called don't like to stay in place IRL near as well as arm warmers.

A million times more comfortable than SPF50, and less disgusting given early-morning clouds of gnats and other bugs.
Old 05-02-17, 04:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Myosmith
arm and leg warmers
Sorry I wasn't clear. Arm screens for summer, not warmers for winter.

@KevinF. Thanks for the response re cooling and water.

The rest of the responses seem to focus on UV protection. For you guys who have used them, my takeaway is that you did not notice a cooling effect?

-Tim-
Old 05-02-17, 04:56 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear. Arm screens for summer, not warmers for winter.

@KevinF. Thanks for the response re cooling and water.

The rest of the responses seem to focus on UV protection. For you guys who have used them, my takeaway is that you did not notice a cooling effect?

-Tim-
Whether you "cool" or not..varies on your climate. Here. High Summer? Sweat ceases evaporating entirely. Nothing will make you feel "cooler", only less baked.

They're certainly more comfortable than bare skin and sunscreen, and have none of the associated annoyances. They'll also prevent sunburn quite well. That said, odds are they're not that effective against UVB compared to UVA.
Old 05-02-17, 05:23 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I don't wear white arm screens, mine are patterned and are from an el cheapo company who is out of business. The key to these IMO is a slightly loose fit and very light fabric. These seem to be commonly worn in Asian countries so they are kind of a dime a dozen on Amazon or the like. I'd just buy something cheap, and see how it fits.

I also wear arm warmers but that's a different question.

I personally have no problem with either my screens or warmers sliding down. BTW in my mind I never really distinguished the two items with different lingo- i.e. Screens vs warmers. I just consider that I have 5 pairs of warmers- three heavy for winter, one medium for shoulder season and one light for summer. But whatever- call em screens and warmers if you like. Maybe the shoulder season ones should be called schwarmas?
Old 05-02-17, 05:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The rest of the responses seem to focus on UV protection.
Skin cancer has a way of focusing you on UV exposure.

For you guys who have used them, my takeaway is that you did not notice a cooling effect?
I think they work as coolers primarily if you soak them with water and allow it to evaporate while you are riding at a good clip. I don't like riding with wet stuff on if I can help it.
Old 05-02-17, 05:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Nothing will make you feel "cooler", only less baked.
Semantics.

I really like Craft summer base layers and headsweats. Less baked is good and they make me feel less baked.

Hence the question about screens.

-Tim-
Old 05-02-17, 05:56 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 804 Times in 511 Posts
Some guys I ride with have plenty of arm ink and wear them to shield from the rays.
Old 05-02-17, 06:00 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I did. Make sure you get white, it reflects more light. I think they're actually cooler than bare arms, but it's subtle and could easily be the placebo effect. The good/bad news is that they aren't really any different than without.

I have the PI ones, and use them on long rides when I don't feel like slathering on loads of sunscreen.
Old 05-02-17, 06:10 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried two different years of the Pearl Izumi sun sleeves and I couldn't ever make them stay up. A little more handy than sunscreen but really annoying when they keep sliding down. Now I just try to apply sunscreen regularly.
Old 05-02-17, 06:20 PM
CasualInSoCal

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the $20 Performance Bicycle UPF50 arm screens. They work well, don't slide down if put on correctly. They're easier to put on than actual sun screen.

I'm thinking about getting the leg screens too.
Old 05-02-17, 06:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3918 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 1,413 Posts
I use them all the time when the weather is warm enough for a SS jersey. For cool starts, I put regular black arm warmers over them. I use them climbing in 100°+. Why? Because a few years ago I noticed that my arm skin was going to the devil, even using plenty of sunscreen. Crepe skin and little brown dots. They maybe are a little warmer than bare arms climbing, but hard to know for sure. Moving at any decent speed, they're not noticeable. My arm skin has actually gotten better.

Are they cooler? Hard to say. Not especially. My wife thinks they are hotter when climbing. I'm agnostic.

I use Pearl Izumi sunsleeves. Haven't tried anything else, but they work fine. the fabric is different on top and bottom, so there's a left and a right. They don't slide down on my arms. My biceps are smallish, 12-13". I use the small size.
Old 05-03-17, 07:11 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 229 Posts
I've used PI arm coolers. Can't say that I'm really wild about them. Sometimes I feel hotter wearing them. The most effective they have been is on super hot afternoons when I wet them down a bit.
Old 05-03-17, 07:20 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Beats slathering sunscreen on your arms. Still gotta cover up exposed areas tho.
Old 05-03-17, 07:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I might have to pick up a pair of the PIs and give 'em a whirl. Humidity often accompanies the heat in MN, but I still think they might be useful enough (and get used enough) to warrant the purchase.
Old 05-03-17, 08:37 AM
SWorksRoubaix

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started a similar thread ... lots of useful info.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...rotection.html

Last edited by SWorksRoubaix; 05-03-17 at 08:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.