Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bluetooth earpiece

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bluetooth earpiece

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 09:42 AM
yugdlo

Bikes: 1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bluetooth earpiece

As much as I like to be unplugged when I am on the bike situations have risen and I need to be able to hear if I get a call or a text no matter where I am and I simply cannot hear the darn thing when it is in a pocket or seat bag. I was thinking about getting a small Bluetooth earpiece but am wondering how well they work, stay in place etc.
Anyone hear ever use(ed) one and how well did it work?
I figure if I put it on my right side I can still hear what is coming up on my left.
Old 05-19-17, 11:22 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 560 Posts
I have used bluetooth earpieces for a number of years but not for cycling. I currently use a Plantronics 925, which is an older model and real cheap if you can still find them. I like these for driving because they are so light and comfortable that you can forget they are there. The down side is that I have actually had one fall out while running across a busy street and didn't realize it. If used for cycling I'd put some kind of tether on it.

I don't think actually talking with a headset while riding would work very well but if you just want to hear a ring and then pull over to talk, it might be OK.
Old 05-19-17, 12:28 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 112 Posts
if you get one, make sure it's one that has an over-the-ear attachment. I've lost one while trying to listen to a conf call and it just rattled right out of my ear and bounced down the road.

Another option is a pair of bluetooth headphones instead of the single earpiece. If you're not listening to music, you'll still hear plenty well (even with volume at humane levels I still can hear traffic, but that's personal preference and another set of threads entirely). Something like: https://a.co/6Ts4FaB

aNOTHER option is an Apple Watch or similar. Nothing in your ears, and you can stop and address if you have to...
Old 05-19-17, 01:10 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I've used one quite a bit. I've experimented with several of them while riding, the one I think is the best overall is the Plantronics Voyager Legend. However, even with "wind-cancelling technology" callers would still complain that it was hard to hear me or ask what all of the background noise was. So, best for short calls - if you need a detailed conversation, you're going to have to stop riding while you talk, IMHO. Plantronics has newer Voyager series headsets that claim to have more microphones for better wind-cancelling, but I havent' bought one. One thing I like about the Voyager Legend is I find it really comfortable and secure, with the body of the headset worn behind the ear. You may need to tinker with the position to avoid pressure from the strap on your helmet.
Old 05-19-17, 03:05 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use them all the time while cycling for will over 5 years. I do not rely on hearing for safety while cycling, mirror is much better for situational awareness.
At any rate my new favorite blue tooth ear buds is Blue Ant Pump ear buds. Holds a good charge (about 5-6 hours)
https://www.amazon.com/BlueAnt-Bluet...s=blueant+pump
Good luck in your search.
Old 05-19-17, 03:54 PM
Guanto Hilario

Bikes: Jamis Satellite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yugdlo
Anyone hear ever use(ed) one and how well did it work?
Superb pun!
Old 05-19-17, 04:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7394 Post(s)
Liked 2,557 Times in 1,487 Posts
I use a headset, Kinivo BTH240. It hooks on my hears and doesn't make a tight seal. I don't want a tight seal, because I don't want to block out all sound. I can hook one on and leave the other off, if I want. Normally, I wear it around my neck when I'm not using it. It doesn't fall off. It's inexpensive, and it runs for over a week on a charge.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-20-17, 08:41 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Plantronics are excellent for business. Bluefit for high fidelity / music. I am that guy who always has an effing dongle in one ear.