Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Difficulty adjusting disc brake to stop rubbing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Difficulty adjusting disc brake to stop rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 09:31 PM
SPiN 360

Bikes: 2013 Giant Roam XR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Difficulty adjusting disc brake to stop rubbing (stuck bolts)

This story has a happy ending...
Link to resolution of problem

Hello everyone,
I am trying to adjust my front disc brakes to stop the ever-so-slight rubbing.

The problem is that I just cannot loosen the CPS bolts. (See image, from manual.) Edit: Image shows rear brake, but I am dealing with front.

The idea is to loosen these CPS bolts, squeeze the brake lever, and then re-tighten the bolts.

I was trying really hard to loosen them by using a ratcheting screwdriver with a H5 (5mm) bit, but honestly, it felt like I was going to break the screwdriver.

Am I doing something wrong here? Or do I need a better tool? I just don't want to break the brakes themselves! (no pun intended)

And yes, I have a torque wrench to re-tighten things properly in the end.

Other things I have tried:
- I have tried closing the QR while squeezing the brake lever, and the result is "good" but it's still rubbing slightly.
- I observed the disc spinning between the pads, and the rotor doesn't appear to be obviously warped.

Last edited by SPiN 360; 05-22-17 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 10:34 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by SPiN 360
The problem is that I just cannot loosen the CPS bolts.
That's a bigger problem that the rubbing, these are what you need to loosen to adjust the caliper to stop the rubbing, also, you need to be able to remove these to be able to replace the caliper if needed.

Have you tried using a Hex Y wrench (like this AWS-1 3-Way Hex Wrench | Park Tool) or regular hex key?
Old 05-21-17, 10:51 PM
SPiN 360

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimc101
Have you tried using a Hex Y wrench (like this AWS-1 3-Way Hex Wrench | Park Tool) or regular hex key?
I do not have one of those, but I was planning on using a screwdriver-bit adapter with a regular automotive spanner to get some better leverage with the H5 bit I had already tried.

But I think there is a bigger problem...
I may not have been looking at the right version of the manual. My brakes are SRAM Elixir 1, and the PDF manual I screencap'd is for "Elixir", but not any specific version within the Elixir line of products. So after going through some more manuals, I found that the CPS (caliper positioning feature) is on Elixir 3, but not the base model Elixir 1. There is nothing in the Elixir 1 setup about even tightening or adjusting those bolts. I don't know if they are even supposed to come off in this model. So maybe I should be counting my blessings that I didn't break the whole braking system.

My plan for tomorrow is:
1. Remove the brake pads and try to clean all around the caliper to make sure there's no dirt or any crap built up in there.
2. Try adjustment only with the main mounting bolts. (I have already successfully loosened those other 2 mounting bolts in the diagram.)
3. Live with the slight rubbing.
Old 05-21-17, 11:13 PM
JoMang

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Use a standard L Allen as it will give you the best leverage and you don't have to worry about clearance like you do with the Y.

Hello everyone,

The problem is that I just cannot loosen the CPS bolts. (See image, from manual.) Edit: Image shows rear brake, but I am dealing with front.

The idea is to loosen these CPS bolts, squeeze the brake lever, and then re-tighten the bolts.

I was trying really hard to loosen them by using a ratcheting screwdriver with a H5 (5mm) bit, but honestly, it felt like I was going to break the screwdriver.

Am I doing something wrong here? Or do I need a better tool? I just don't want to break the brakes themselves! (no pun intended)

- I have tried closing the QR while squeezing the brake lever, and the result is "good" but it's still rubbing slightly.
- I observed the disc spinning between the pads, and the rotor doesn't appear to be obviously warped.
Old 05-22-17, 02:20 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
...I am trying to adjust my front disc brakes to stop the ever-so-slight rubbing.

The problem is that I just cannot loosen the CPS bolts.

You really should be able to.

If you truly can't, it's possible to move the caliper further inwards by adding shims between the adapter the caliper is mounted to and the frame. Or move the rotor further in by adding a shim under the locknut on the wheel axle.

I wouldn't do either unless I was certain that breaking the CPS bolts free would break what's the caliper is mounted to. If the caliper is mounted to an adapter(as in the pic), I'd go for it. That's an easily replaceable part.
If the caliper is stuck on a Post-Mount, I'd be more careful.

Never had much luck with that. IME, the caliper will squirm around too much during tightening. I prefer to loosen the bolts some, then use something like a screwdriver held by the blade as a light-weight mallet to tap the caliper in position before tightening down.

...do I need a better tool?

Didn't the manual call for 8-10 Nm?

That's considerable torque if you're using a screwdriver. Odds are more leverage is the fix for your problem.

Am I doing something wrong here?

We can't tell from here. When dealing with threaded fasteners, turning in the wrong direction is ALWAYS an option.

Last edited by dabac; 05-22-17 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-22-17, 06:54 AM
dperreno

Bikes: '72 Fuji Finest, '80 Austro-Daimler Inter 10, '06 Fuji Team Issue, '06 Salsa Las Cruces, Nashbar Frame single speed

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A screwdriver handle with hex insert is an inappropriate tool for this. You need to use a proper hex wrench or a ratchet with a hex insert to get enough leverage to both loosen and tighten this. Even
Old 05-22-17, 08:06 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use a normal L allen to loosen the bolts.

And slightly off topic: Hey look, another "my disk brake doesn't work right thread." For all the naysayers who say that they don't exist.
Old 05-22-17, 08:13 AM
ammarolli

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2 2017, Cube Cruve Pro 2015 and Berlín Dutch Bike 3 speed 2014

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't reset the pistons you should do that with like plastic tire lever and push the pads as far as they go.

That might help with getting rid of the rub.
Old 05-22-17, 08:54 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Hello everyone,

So first of all you're using the wrong tool for the job. You need an L-shape hex key.
Secondly don't use the "squeeze brake lever and tighten bolts method" as it's the wrong method for hydraulic brakes even if it is stated in the manual. Or rather, it's the idiot's method which is essentially a bandaid for a bigger problem.

Instead use this guide instead
This way you never have to touch the CPS bolts again if the disc starts rubbing. Just check which piston is dominating and use a small screwdriver to push it back as is shown in the video.
Old 05-22-17, 12:48 PM
SPiN 360

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you everyone for your comments so far. This has been extremely educational.
I did buy real L-shaped hex keys from Harbor Freight (metric & SAE sets) and I will be digging through my toolboxes to find them. They are not the ball-end type.

I took the pads out again to inspect the hardware and clean the pistons.
And I noticed what might be a bigger and more important problem.

I'm aware that mechanical disc brakes normally have only 1 side of the piston moving, but I thought hydraulic pinches the disc from both pistons. For me, pumping the brake lever only extends the wheel-side piston. The other side doesn't move.

It's starting to make sense now - I was originally fiddling with the brakes due to weak front braking power.

These brakes are SRAM Elixir 1. Is it correct to believe that both pistons should move, and therefore something is wrong?
Old 05-22-17, 01:06 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your comments so far. This has been extremely educational.
I did buy real L-shaped hex keys from Harbor Freight (metric & SAE sets) and I will be digging through my toolboxes to find them. They are not the ball-end type.

I took the pads out again to inspect the hardware and clean the pistons.
And I noticed what might be a bigger and more important problem.

I'm aware that mechanical disc brakes normally have only 1 side of the piston moving, but I thought hydraulic pinches the disc from both pistons. For me, pumping the brake lever only extends the wheel-side piston. The other side doesn't move.

It's starting to make sense now - I was originally fiddling with the brakes due to weak front braking power.

These brakes are SRAM Elixir 1. Is it correct to believe that both pistons should move, and therefore something is wrong?
Sounds like one piston is seized. Personally I'd try to push it back into the body just to get it to move a bit, then try braking again. Yes, on decent hydraulic brakes both pistons should move.

Obviously the correct way to fix it is to disassemble the entire caliper and clean everything, but that's a lot more work.
Old 05-22-17, 01:36 PM
SPiN 360

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by corrado33
Sounds like one piston is seized. Personally I'd try to push it back into the body just to get it to move a bit, then try braking again. Yes, on decent hydraulic brakes both pistons should move.
Yes I tried that. The outer (non-wheel) side piston appears to be pushed back all the way in. It's just not pushing back out when I pump the brakes.

These are entry level brakes anyway, so is it just a smarter idea to get a new front brake installed at the LBS?
Old 05-22-17, 02:20 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Yes I tried that. The outer (non-wheel) side piston appears to be pushed back all the way in. It's just not pushing back out when I pump the brakes.

These are entry level brakes anyway, so is it just a smarter idea to get a new front brake installed at the LBS?
Even entry level stuff should still be functional. It's not an excuse for failure unless hard used.

Try "exercising" the piston, getting it to move again.
Can you block the healthy piston off, pump the lever to force the stuck piston to move?
Old 05-22-17, 02:26 PM
SPiN 360

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dabac
Can you block the healthy piston off, pump the lever to force the stuck piston to move?
Haha you read my mind...

I had the same idea, and held the working piston in place using a nylon tire lever.
With a bit of pumping, the other piston is working again!

So in summary, it appears the real problem was improper brake piston action leading in improper alignment of the disc brake pads. Piston was fixed, everything is back to original, correct alignment.

So by now I've re-assembled everything.
Pistons are working with brand new brake pads.
NO rotor rubbing.
Happy ending!

Last edited by SPiN 360; 05-22-17 at 02:34 PM.