Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

permanent or temporary fenders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 10:46 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Riding 2017 Sirrus Sport. I don't commute with it just typically do 10+ mile rides on paved or crushed gravel trails. I want some fenders for when riding in rain or after rain when there are puddles. Since I don't commute I am thinking of not having fenders on full time.

Do the clip on fenders like SKS X-Board and X-Blade, or Zefal or Crud provide enough protection for occasional use? I rode last night in rain and I was surprised at how wet I got without fenders. I knew my backside would get soaked but didn't think my feet would get that soaked.

For full size fenders I am considering SKS or Planet Bike, but not sure which would be easier to fit with discs. My fork has fittings on inside for Plug and Play but not sure if that works for these fenders. I really don't want to go full size so any input on how effective the temporaries are is appreciated.
Old 05-24-17, 10:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
In Oregon, on the coast & Portland, we leave them on..

Consider also PDW Full metal fenders? https://ridepdw.com/products/full-metal-fenders..
and I see a polycarbonate version too.. https://ridepdw.com/collections/fend...o-fenders-city

Buy from a bike shop and typically they help with selection + assist in installation.

Old 05-24-17, 11:03 AM
Sal Bandini

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I should state that I am in Chicagoland area so not as wet as west coast. I don't anticipate riding in inclement weather more than 5% of the time, if that.

Bike shops have very limited selection so most of my research is online.

I will look at PDW, thanks for suggestion.

EDIT: Wow, $120 I think I will keep looking.
Old 05-24-17, 11:15 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Important question: how do you (or do you at all ) transport your bike?

Fenders can be a PITA if you transport a bike in a car. If you don't, go full, install them and forget them. I don't commute, two bikes have them, and they stay on permanently.

FWIW, both are SKS Bluemel. Nothing fancy, but affordable and effective.
Old 05-24-17, 11:16 AM
Barabaika

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Full permanent fenders provide the best protection.
There is always water from sprinklers, etc even when it doesn't rain.

Check these fenders. But your bike has no eyelets for fenders on the fork.
700c - Fenders, Accessories, Hardware - Accessories
Old 05-24-17, 11:20 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Permanent. I'm adding fenders to my backup road bike, Trek 1.1. It will be my rain bike.
Old 05-24-17, 11:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
In my experience, RaceBlades are sufficient to keep the muck off your butt and back, but that's about it.

Viz:

Old 05-24-17, 11:22 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

Fenders can be a PITA if you transport a bike in a car. If you don't, go full, install them and forget them. I don't commute, two bikes have them, and they stay on permanently.
Agreed. If you're constantly taking off the wheels to transport the bike it is a pain, not to mention the fender can crack, chip, or even break easily if you hit into something with the wheels off.

If you don't transport them go with full ones.
Old 05-24-17, 11:25 AM
Sal Bandini

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

FWIW, both are SKS Bluemel. Nothing fancy, but affordable and effective.
I don't usually transport but if I do it is on trunk rack.

Where do you get Bluemel? I can't seem to find them on Amazon, unless they are called something else. The only ones I found were the reflective.
Old 05-24-17, 11:30 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
I don't usually transport but if I do it is on trunk rack.

Where do you get Bluemel? I can't seem to find them on Amazon, unless they are called something else. The only ones I found were the reflective.
One pair was from when I was on a tour in Belgium, and another from an LBS in Michigan. Guess they aren't that common online, although CRC has them: SKS Bluemels Road Mudguard Set | Chain Reaction Cycles

I don't know that the particular model matters that much, was just illustrating they were the basic option and work well, as you seemed to shy away from the expensive offerings above. Think one was around $25 and the other $30.
Old 05-24-17, 11:33 AM
Sal Bandini

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
One pair was from when I was on a tour in Belgium, and another from an LBS in Michigan. Guess they aren't that common online, although CRC has them: SKS Bluemels Road Mudguard Set | Chain Reaction Cycles

I don't know that the particular model matters that much, was just illustrating they were the basic option and work well, as you seemed to shy away from the expensive offerings above. Think one was around $25 and the other $30.
I am fine with spending $50-$60 for SKS or Planet Bike. It was just that the PDW are about double that.

What I'm really wondering is what kind of foot protection will this give me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop

S-BOARD - SKS-Germany
Old 05-24-17, 12:37 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am fine with spending $50-$60 for SKS or Planet Bike. It was just that the PDW are about double that.

What I'm really wondering is what kind of foot protection will this give me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop

S-BOARD - SKS-Germany
Very little unless the front fender comes to within a couple of inches of the ground.
Old 05-24-17, 12:45 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
...Where do you get Bluemel?..
CRC has them for twenty-five bucks. Not a bad fender, but I'd spend the extra ten bucks to get longboards. Temporary fenders are useless in my experience.
Old 05-24-17, 12:46 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by corrado33
Very little unless the front fender comes to within a couple of inches of the ground.
Even then, it's iffy whether or not your shoes are going to stay dry. The spray comes straight out from the front wheel and off the fenders, but because you're moving forward your shoes still the spray. Shoe covers might help.
Old 05-24-17, 12:48 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Even then, it's iffy whether or not your shoes are going to stay dry. The spray comes straight out from the front wheel and off the fenders, but because you're moving forward your shoes still the spray. Shoe covers might help.
Fenders do certainly help though. If it's raining lightly my shoes will BARELY be wet when I get home on my fendered bikes whereas on my non fendered bikes they'll be soaked.

Not to mention getting a skunk stripe is a horrible feeling. Soggy a$$ syndrome anyone?
Old 05-24-17, 12:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Blumel has been absorbed by SKS, they were An English company. SKS is German.
Old 05-24-17, 01:05 PM
jefnvk

Or, if you have a stiff sidewind, blowing all that gunk still coming off the couple inches on the bottom in one direction. One ride I had a soaked left foot, and a dry right foot, even with fenders.

But mostly, they do a really good job. Keep your bike much cleaner, too.
Old 05-24-17, 01:21 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Was using Planetbike Speed EZ for a few years; till I sold that roadbike.
Fork didn't have eyelets. Was thinking of taking them on and off depending on the weather.
I ended up just having them on permanently. They were effective:
RESPECT OTHERS by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 05-24-17, 01:28 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Shoe covers might help.
Good waterproof shoe covers in insulated and non-insulated varieties are well worth the hassle of putting them on if you're going to be on the bike for more than about ten minutes and there are puddles around.
Old 05-24-17, 01:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4894 Post(s)
Liked 4,064 Times in 2,633 Posts
I'd get full fenders and set them up so detaching them is quick. Dry days on the road or gravel days when you don't care how dirty you get, take 'em off. Wet days and wanting to keep you clothes cleaner, leave 'em on. (Do hand washes of your clothes after rides with and without fenders and you will be impressed at how much dirt those fenders stop on nice days, even on the road. Bike stays cleaner too.)

I am not a fan of Planet Bike fenders as I have had to modify almost every pair I have used to keep them from oscillating, esp in front and rattling (in back). I like the SKS fenders. They use stiffer plastic and the two sets of stays on the front fender (plus much better designed top bracket) mean they behave.

Ben
Old 05-24-17, 01:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Good waterproof shoe covers in insulated and non-insulated varieties are well worth the hassle of putting them on if you're going to be on the bike for more than about ten minutes and there are puddles around.
Not quite as good, but far easier and always there is a proper front fender full flap that extends down close to the road. I make them for every fender I put on. I've been using doubled up graphic arts film from the '90s but soon my supply will dry up and I will have to find another source. (Doubled up with packing tape on teh egdes makes for a stiff flap that can be bent many times with no damage. Good when you wheel the bike off a curb and forget or need to set the fork down on the floor. Also flexible enough that they will not break the fender itself.

That flap stops nearly as much dirty water as all the rest of the two fenders (edit: if it is big enough). The English have known that forever. All the English fenders of the 60s and 70s had them.

Ben
Old 05-24-17, 01:59 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My older road bike has fenders (again). Planet Bike, no idea on price. Gets the job done. Wanted to be able to ride once the rain stops.

Will be curious if it helps with keeping the chain clean(er).
Old 05-24-17, 02:07 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by supton
My older road bike has fenders (again). Planet Bike, no idea on price. Gets the job done. Wanted to be able to ride once the rain stops.

Will be curious if it helps with keeping the chain clean(er).
Pull off that joke of a front flap and put a real one on. Then watch your chain collect a lot less of everything. (Won't stop everything! If you really want a clean chain, get a fix gear and stick to the velodrome. They keep the steep tracks squeeky clean.)

Ben
Old 05-24-17, 02:29 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I made these long mudflaps for my touring bike out of a piece of rubber runner and some fasteners from the hardware store.
Old 05-24-17, 02:38 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
I've ridden in steady rain, as well as downpours, in shoe covers with SKS Longboards that have the mudflap almost all the way to the ground and my feet still get wet. The problem isn't the shoe cover, which are completely waterproof, but the water that gets on your tights, and then gravity pulls the water down to your socks, and it's game over.

If you wear shoe covers in heavy rain you almost have to be wearing waterproof pants that cover the top of the shoe cover to be effective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.