Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone know these two??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone know these two??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 05:54 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Anyone know these two??

So I'm driving on a rural two lane road in Colorado headed out to do a couple weeks of riding in the Rocky Mountains. There isn't anything for miles and it's fairly warm outside. In the far distance I spot a couple of bright safety yellow cycling jerseys going in my direction. I pass the two cyclists and see they have panniers for traveling.

The next spot I can find I pull over and wait for them. As they approached I flagged them down with bottles of water. They welcomed the lemonade I offered plus peanut butter crackers and fig newtons. I guess fig newtons must be a local name as they didn't know what they were until I gave them packs.

They were from Sweden and cycling across the US. They'd flown into D.C. and were headed to San Francisco. They were 40+ days into their trip. We got to share stories on crossing the US. Pretty Cool.....

Old 06-08-17, 06:05 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 2,035 Times in 579 Posts
I don't know 'em, but that's waaaay cool.

On the HooDoo 500 a couple of years ago, we encountered a tourist coming the other way. We haled him down and bestowed a lot of our food on him ... including some pizza. He was from Germany, I think and was very grateful.

Old 06-08-17, 07:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Did they bring their bikes over with them from Sweden?
Old 06-08-17, 09:10 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You didn't get their names ? Very cool of you to offer some hospitality, I'm sure you will be brought up frequently when they get home and talk about their trip.
Old 06-08-17, 10:00 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
That's Lars and Anja...
Old 06-09-17, 06:25 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
I seen that old guy somewhere.
Old 06-09-17, 08:54 AM
leob1

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Don't know them. A few summers ago I was riding and saw a guy stopped in the middle of a sketchy intersection looking at a map. It was a British guy just finishing up a cross country ride. Of course stopped and helped him figure where he missed a turn and told him how to correct it with out back tracking.
It was the fourth of July, him being British I gently reminded him that we won. Couldn't resist.
Old 06-09-17, 09:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18533 Post(s)
Liked 15,895 Times in 7,461 Posts
Met plenty of people like them while touring myself. Back in 2011 the GF and I stopped to chat with a Scotsman who was riding x-country east to west. Not all that far down the path we were on we encountered another Scotsman doing the same thing. He had no idea a fellow countryman was not that far ahead of him.

While touring across PA back in 2014 a guy pulled along side me in DuBois, PA. Tunrs out he was also a BF member, and I recognized his user name.

It's a small world out there. I crossed the U.S. in '99 with a small group of people. The next year, while touring out west, a car pulled along side me in Yellowstone. The person in the passenger seat said "Hey, Dave." I looked over and saw it was a woman who had been on the x-country tour the year before.

Later in that trip I was having lunch at a picnic pavilion in a city park in Kremling, CO. Two other touring cyclists pulled up. I had seen them the year before during my x-country trip riding in the opposite direction along Lake Koocanusa in Montana. I recognized them because they had custom racks and panniers made by the same guy who had made mine, only theirs were a different color. They remember me shouting out to them about their Beckman bags.

I am flying out to Montana a week from tomorrow for a two-week loop tour that includes one night in Idaho and two nights in Glacier National Park. I am so damn excited I can hardly get any work done.

Here is the route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19192705
Old 06-09-17, 04:44 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
@jppe you rock, man. Probably picked up their pace after meeting with you. Too cool!
Old 06-09-17, 07:21 PM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Met plenty of people like them while touring myself. Back in 2011 the GF and I stopped to chat with a Scotsman who was riding x-country east to west. Not all that far down the path we were on we encountered another Scotsman doing the same thing. He had no idea a fellow countryman was not that far ahead of him.

While touring across PA back in 2014 a guy pulled along side me in DuBois, PA. Tunrs out he was also a BF member, and I recognized his user name.

It's a small world out there. I crossed the U.S. in '99 with a small group of people. The next year, while touring out west, a car pulled along side me in Yellowstone. The person in the passenger seat said "Hey, Dave." I looked over and saw it was a woman who had been on the x-country tour the year before.

Later in that trip I was having lunch at a picnic pavilion in a city park in Kremling, CO. Two other touring cyclists pulled up. I had seen them the year before during my x-country trip riding in the opposite direction along Lake Koocanusa in Montana. I recognized them because they had custom racks and panniers made by the same guy who had made mine, only theirs were a different color. They remember me shouting out to them about their Beckman bags.

I am flying out to Montana a week from tomorrow for a two-week loop tour that includes one night in Idaho and two nights in Glacier National Park. I am so damn excited I can hardly get any work done.

Here is the route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19192705
Great looking trip. Looks like you are not going to ride the going to the sun road however. I just wondered if not why.
Old 06-09-17, 07:25 PM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Great looking trip. Looks like you are not going to ride the going to the sun road however. I just wondered if not why.
Opps. i see you are going up to Logans Pass and back down.