Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

USA Cycling.org

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 05:23 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
USA Cycling.org

I was going to start this in the 41, but USAC says they are about competitive cycling (racing).
How do you think USAC is doing?

About Us - USA Cycling
Old 06-20-17, 05:43 PM
Costco hot dogs

Bikes: I got 'em.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I was going to start this in the 41, but USAC says they are about competitive cycling (racing).
How do you think USAC is doing?

About Us - USA Cycling
where are you going with this? I could complain about all sorts of things, but that doesn't mean it'll make USAC any better because I'm just a slow-ass Cat4.

My GF, Cat3 road and CX, has a lot more to (relevantly and realistically) complain about than I could ever hope.
Old 06-20-17, 05:47 PM
Doge

General discussion. I am often (2-3 times a year) by the office, so it is on my mind a bit. They also have responded to about every (~5) emails I've sent them in the last 10 years. And while I'm unlikely to do anything I am/was reading about some of the positions open that my wife or I could get involved with - mostly volunteer stuff, some staff. We may move near there. So it was on my mind.

From a junior racing program on the world stage they are doing quite well. From a holding membership and general racing I'm not so sure. I hear talk of them falling apart. I also see fewer local races later in the season. So in general - what is good, what is not so good.

The whole doping thing is not working out so well. Each time a rider gets busted - good, it also further taints the sport - bad.

It does not seem like we are near the glory days of when Lemond, Lance were riding, but maybe I was more a wide eyed fan then. I think we have better talent now.

So I'm interested in discussion.

Last edited by Doge; 06-20-17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 06:08 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I have no idea, haven't been in the scene long enough. I do hear some say that there were a bunch of road races in the region back in the day. Considering we have almost zero these days, focusing on whatever it would take to bring them back would be nice, at least for me.
Old 06-21-17, 02:11 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Without USAC, we're just cat 6's.

my race videos
Old 06-21-17, 09:45 AM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you wanting to complain about the website or the organization? Your initial post isn't very clear.
Old 06-21-17, 10:20 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Well, the website is awful.

They redesigned it recently, but it's not much better. And the search function is atrociously unreliable.
Old 06-21-17, 12:26 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the website is a joke. I have to use internet explorer to see results still...
Old 06-21-17, 01:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked 3,387 Times in 1,775 Posts
Why would you start this in the 41? Just to see some entertaining responses from the peanut gallery?
Old 06-22-17, 08:42 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Off topic, but since I'm new here, what is the 41? I see reference to it all the time, but I can't find a board titled that. Like I get this is the 33, and it's the only place I post in..
Old 06-22-17, 08:51 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 338 Posts
it's the "road cycling forum" above (used to be coded 41 in an old url-apparently), it's where the really nerdy people (who likely don't race) go and fret over gear as a magic bullet to make their cycling better
Old 06-22-17, 08:58 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Off topic, but since I'm new here, what is the 41?

Back on topic

I was impressed with the account page. Not one time in recent memory have I enjoyed looking at the results pages though.
Old 06-22-17, 03:50 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the $PC@D^ still doing his thing? (Mentioning him name summons him, I am attempting to foil any regex bots he may have running)

But on topic: I think that USAC should provide more resources and tips/tricks to teams. So much of trying to do stuff right (starting a team, race, etc.) feels like it is a complete pain in the butt. I realize that they say "Hey! Here are the forms to give us money!" But starting a team or race is so much more than that. Give suggestions on how to establish a team as a legal entity, suggestions for finding venues, etc.

Last edited by globecanvas; 06-22-17 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Sorry dz_nuzz! Meant to quote this post but accidentally mod-edited it. Restored now...
Old 06-22-17, 07:27 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by gl98115
Are you wanting to complain about the website or the organization? Your initial post isn't very clear.
I'm not sure. I see positives and negatives. From website to what they say they are about.
I did read the mission statement and about page. To me, that is how they should be judged.

They are doing very well with juniors - or were. But seem not to at older ages.
If you read further into the board meeting notes and CEO blog they want to be a significant international cycling power.

I'm wondering if the international focus is misplaced.
Old 06-22-17, 07:30 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by TMonk
Why would you start this in the 41? Just to see some entertaining responses from the peanut gallery?
I didn't start this in the 41. In reading what they say they are about - it is competitive.

But...
UCI is into all types of events with wheels.
USAC is getting involved with Fondos.
Old 06-22-17, 07:39 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
it's the "road cycling forum" above (used to be coded 41 in an old url-apparently), it's where the really nerdy people (who likely don't race) go and fret over gear as a magic bullet to make their cycling better
Many in the 33 don't race - by riding themselves. But the topics are about racing.

Most managing the USAC, and USAC positions - don't race. Many in professional racing - don't ride the bike in a race. They manage, coach, officiate, drive, are mechanics, equipment manufactures, soigneurs and various support - and parents.

There could be a debate if those not actually racing should post here. As a non-racer I am quite involved in racing.
Old 06-22-17, 08:03 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 338 Posts
Many in the 33 don't race - by riding themselves. But the topics are about racing.

Most managing the USAC, and USAC positions - don't race. Many in professional racing - don't ride the bike in a race. They manage, coach, officiate, drive, are mechanics, equipment manufactures, soigneurs and various support - and parents.

There could be a debate if those not actually racing should post here. As a non-racer I am quite involved in racing.
True, I haven't raced in two years but I hang around here, so my post was a bit tongue in cheek, but the 41 tends to be inane blather and arguing about gear that seems more about status than it is about topics related to training and promoting competition. I'm a geek and even that forum is way too nerdy for me
Old 06-22-17, 08:05 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is it you want out of this; Drum up social media business, influence, official position at their HQ to be closer to puppy, officious need to replace your thick card stock stationary with a currently relevant letterhead (I'm leaning towards this one ), make yourself a tool of the people by becoming their brightest advocate, divert some of that sweet sweet UCI slush fund cash into your personal charity, a footnote in your memoirs, one final success to pad your legacy, put your name in the record books by lobbying for and funding a race commemorating the induction of our 51st state, or finally just have some adult business you can conduct on a regular basis during these regular trips to CO to relieve tedium?

I often enjoy picking apart your fairly obvious motivations more than watching them unfurl, if that hasn't already become blatantly obvious.
Old 06-22-17, 10:59 PM
Doge

Do you find it interesting in a racing forum, with mostly USA race speak, there is not a thread about the competition authority in the USA, or Intentionally. So as most here are more familiar with USA racing, here is a thread on the gold in charge, that racers are paying... Seemed appropriate.

Did anyone buy the road side assistance (besides me).
Old 06-23-17, 06:46 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Do you find it interesting in a racing forum, with mostly USA race speak, there is not a thread about the competition authority in the USA, or Intentionally. So as most here are more familiar with USA racing, here is a thread on the gold in charge, that racers are paying... Seemed appropriate.

Did anyone buy the road side assistance (besides me).
No, I buy only the license, and always have.

I'm probably apathetic at most, I guess. I get annoyed having to pay the "race clean" and registration fees (though the latter is credit card companies I guess). I also get annoyed anytime I get an email from DBH, for some reason. I feel like he's kind of full of ****, though maybe I just haven't tracked him closely enough to see if he's following up on all of his stuff.

I also don't like the way they run national championships and feel they just try to gorge people while putting on substandard events. Cases in point: A) recent masters nats where they told medalists they weren't going to have awards ceremony until the NEXT day so they'd have to stay overnight again (as retold by a medalist) B) Masters nats crit carnage last year. C) Last year, moving elite crit nats course and three days out still not knowing anything about the race. D) two years ago at elite road nats having NO neutral water on a hellacious course with 100 degree temps and then fining a rider for publicly complaining (via twitter or facebook) about the resulting carnage of multiple riders having to receive medical attention on the side of the road.

Things I do like: the website works well for me. I like the results and rankings system for the most part, though sometimes it's hard to find a particular race. Of course, that's only as good as the promoters submitting their results. But I feel like that's way better than it was 10 years ago, when it seemed like only 1/3 or so of races actually submitted to usacycling most of the time. I also like the "predictor" aspect of usacycling race registrations, if for little more than ****s and giggles. But I like it so much I get annoyed when I have to go to bikereg to register, which tells me little to nothing about everyone else registered.

Sort of related: my local state organization is by far the best I've seen in nearly a dozen states. Consistently, day in and day out. So good they license software they've created to get nearly-live results posted on the web to other states.

Other than that, I don't have any dealings or gripes or compliments. Seems like most of usacycling's outreach is done via your local state organization, and if they're good then it's good, and if they're not, then usacycling's not.

I think the international aspect has so little to do with the vast majority of racers that it isn't worth promoting, but I guess that's part of the Olympic charter thing and all that so they've got to do it. Seems only relevant to pros, and u-23s and juniors on national teams.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 06-23-17 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 07:56 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doge, do you feel Todd Gogulski is a good commentator because he was a pro racer in a former life any more than you would describe the CEO of USAC competent due to having a racing career in his younger years? It doesn't matter one whit because the two have almost no correlation to the jobs they perform, bear one. Quelling boorish complaints about outsiders with no understanding of the sport. Very much like in what you are proposing.

I personally have no ambitions. For you or for RacerEx. Everyone seeking to appeal to a wider audience with an eye towards contesting popularity deserves incorruptible oversight willing to shine light wherever and whenever they please. So if you please, define your intents and present us with whatever rough sketch of a running platform you have put together.
Old 06-23-17, 08:57 AM
topflightpro

Rubik, I think one of the issues you are hitting on is that USAC doesn't actually put on or promote events.

All races, national championship events included, are put on by local promoters. Granted, USAC has greater oversight over the big events, it still isn't putting them on and is relying on the local promoter to do the work. In many cases, the promoters failed to do something or the situation changed.

With Masters Road Nats last year, the crit course change 1 or 2 weeks before the event. The original course was a three-turn parking lot crit. It would have been a good course. But despite agreements in place, the parking lot owner changed its mind. The local promoter than did what it could to quickly find a replacement.

And while I went down in that crit - as did MattM - the course wasn't really the problem after our race. (35+ field was the first to go through with a big field. We had pile up after pile up in turn 2. They pulled the barriers back to open the turn, and the crashes there went down. Still, crashes ended up occurring elsewhere, including the back straight.)

There were similar crashes in this year's crits too, and no one can say that wasn't a more traditional course.

Perhaps USAC could do more to support the promoters. I know as a small local promoter, we get zero support from USAC. We register our events, pay our fees for insurance, and get our officials. But USAC provides nothing else. We do use USAC's registration system, but that is only because we are too lazy to use one of the other local registration organizations.

I know Doge has certain bones to pick with USAC due to his dealings with Puppy and the national team and overseas events. Here's something you may not know - Male juniors get funding. Female juniors do not. Or at least they didn't in 2015. My wife and I contributed to a GoFundMe page to help a local junior woman who was selected to the USA Junior National Track team so that she could travel to Kazakhstan for Track Worlds. Fortunately, the road World Championships were just up the road in Richmond, so she didn't need additional support.

I also see nothing really from USAC regarding growing the sport of bicycle racing. They have a new program to get non-racers to buy a license - basically offering insurance for people who do cookie rides. And the move to support Gran Fondos is great, because a lot of people see Gran Fondos like 10ks - timed events they can do to improve over time. That can build a better base of cycling, but it doesn't build racing.

The race calendar here gets smaller every year. Part of that is because races are getting more expensive to put on, in terms of getting street closures. Part is due to declining participation (may be a chicken and egg thing) making it more difficult for promoters to break even. Part of it is due to lack of sponsorship funding - there isn't any for small local events. But a big part is the fact that USAC dropped the requirement that clubs host one event each year. Of course, at one point, non-attached riders had to pay an additional fee to make up for the fact that they weren't supporting the race seen by putting on an event, but USAC never really enforced that rule.

I know USAC is trying to do more to promote US success at international events. They are trying to bolster the track racing program to get more Olympic medals.

But I guess the question is, should USAC be doing both? I know there have been several attempts and different organizations have come and gone that have supported local racing outside USAC - when I started in Texas, we were mostly American Cycling Association sanctioned events - but USAC continues to hold dominance in that area.

And USAC uses the money it generates from the local events to support the national teams. I have been told by one USAC rep that Masters nationals basically funds the Pro and Elite National Championships each year, which do not pay for themselves.
Old 06-23-17, 09:02 AM
topflightpro

Also, I forgot to mention the Beginner Racer Program that was started then abandoned.

The plan was to run a bunch of local programs to provide new racers the skills needed to compete safely. It was going to allow people to get like 4 of their 10 Cat 5 races. USAC held a bunch of Certified Skills Instructor clinics to train people to run the program. But they only did that for a year then never offered any more. That program seems basically dead to me.

I think it would be great to resume though.
Old 06-23-17, 09:47 AM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Rubik, I think one of the issues you are hitting on is that USAC doesn't actually put on or promote events.

All races, national championship events included, are put on by local promoters. Granted, USAC has greater oversight over the big events, it still isn't putting them on and is relying on the local promoter to do the work. In many cases, the promoters failed to do something or the situation changed.
Perhaps USAC could do more to support the promoters. I know as a small local promoter, we get zero support from USAC. We register our events, pay our fees for insurance, and get our officials. But USAC provides nothing else. We do use USAC's registration system, but that is only because we are too lazy to use one of the other local registration organizations.

I know Doge has certain bones to pick with USAC due to his dealings with Puppy and the national team and overseas events. Here's something you may not know - Male juniors get funding. Female juniors do not. Or at least they didn't in 2015. My wife and I contributed to a GoFundMe page to help a local junior woman who was selected to the USA Junior National Track team so that she could travel to Kazakhstan for Track Worlds. Fortunately, the road World Championships were just up the road in Richmond, so she didn't need additional support.
I looked into putting on track events at the national level (and was actually promoter of record for one track nats where we basically made USAC write all the checks but they still needed an official local promoter. Our club did provide all the volunteers) and when we looked at the event contracts they were a terrible deal for the promoting club. The local promoter has to put up all the money to put on the event and take all the financial risk, and USAC got all the income, including a big chunk of any sponsorship. And you have to be careful to only get sponsors that don't conflict with their sponsors, and in the case of the track, also the facility sponsors, so that makes it even harder. At one point a bunch of masters started to figure that if everybody pooled what they spent to go to nats it would be more than enough to put it on locally (so they could actually spend less) and they also wouldn't have to deal with travel, but by then I was moving out of racing and promoting races.
Old 06-23-17, 12:31 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by miyata man
Doge, do you feel Todd Gogulski is a good commentator because he was a pro racer in a former life any more than you would describe the CEO of USAC competent due to having a racing career in his younger years? It doesn't matter one whit because the two have almost no correlation to the jobs they perform, bear one. Quelling boorish complaints about outsiders with no understanding of the sport. Very much like in what you are proposing.

I personally have no ambitions. For you or for RacerEx. Everyone seeking to appeal to a wider audience with an eye towards contesting popularity deserves incorruptible oversight willing to shine light wherever and whenever they please. So if you please, define your intents and present us with whatever rough sketch of a running platform you have put together.
I believe you are reading in too much. I have a general interest. I wanted a place to collect USAC comments I didn't see a thread. I'm not trying to network/promote a cause or a person with USAC - kid is just a competitive rec cyclist doing other things (which I am very happy about), and I have already met who I wanted to in the years around the sport. I just like the sport. I'm interested in just general opinions - anywhere. Races, coaches, rules, websites - how are they doing.

I particularly like rules and application of them. Besides my cycling rule interest,I was a soccer official (inc adult semi-pro) for over a decade. This is an area I could see lots of improvement - particularly for juniors and collegiate. Things are pretty vague.

Last edited by Doge; 06-23-17 at 12:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.