Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Selle Anatomica, OM...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Selle Anatomica, OM...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 02:05 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Selle Anatomica, OM...

...GOODNESS! Where have you been and why have I waited this long? Arrived in the mail yesterday, mounted and rode it 54 butt-pain free miles this morning. Adjusted seat back a bit mid ride. Raised the seatpost 1/2" then dropped it 1/4 a few miles later and had to tighten the leather twice. Probably will still do a few minor tweaks. Otherwise this thing is da Bomb!

My aging bony butt is happy.

If you're thinking about one, think no more. Pull the trigger & you can thank me later.

And THANK YOU all who have posted about these. I know they won't work for everyone and maybe a Brooks is a better fit for some but right now I am Happy, Happy, Happy!
Old 09-23-17, 03:50 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
It's a personal thing. I road a Selle Anatomica, worst saddle I've ever sat on, no matter how adjusted. What I tell friends is: make sure you buy with a return policy.

I will say, very nice people in their San Diego customer service office.

Congrats on finding your match.
Old 09-23-17, 04:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Over 8,000 wonderful miles on my Titanico X. Comfortable out of the box, comfortable now. Still trying to find an excuse to buy an X2, but my X1 just fits so damn well.
Old 09-23-17, 07:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
every saddle pick is a relationship with the butt that's sitting on it .. my opinion wont change your pelvis shape..

good luck.. the leather on those has been found to keep sagging and does so , stretching, until you run out of bolt length

A friend was drilling new holes and trying to set new nose rivets , to give the bolt range of adjustment another go-round on one.

the other tanning process 'Tru' leather and eliminating the slot may be better, but it does not matter to me.

T still have the Brooks team pro I bought in 1975.. It's fine.. [ back then they only made 1 color.. black. bike shorts same color.]

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-23-17 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 09:15 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Three of my 5 bikes has a SA saddle. One more my get a SA. KB
Old 09-25-17, 09:33 AM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All I can say is that in the 16 years I have ridden my bike I have never experienced any butt pain whatsoever. Zero. Why would anybody ever want to ride a bike which causes them pain?
Old 09-25-17, 12:56 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my Selle Anatomica X. I had some sit bone issues on my last double, but that was the first time with this saddle.... and they were not as bad as with my previous saddle.
Old 09-25-17, 03:00 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to the club. I've had an SA X series on both my bikes for 2-3 years. Love them.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-25-17, 07:56 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Selle Anatomica sure works for me. I have one on my double century bike (lots of doubles ridden on this one); bought when Tom Mason was still alive!

Bought another one for my go-fast bike and bought one for my wife too (she loves it). So yes, they are heavy and they are ugly (subjective, of course) but they are comfortable and that's what matters most to me.

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 10-18-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 08:30 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked 4,890 Times in 2,256 Posts
I'm a fan. Only have 1 though.

But then my butt isn't overly picky.
Old 09-26-17, 07:17 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Congrats on finding the right saddle. I would not use the adjusting bolt too much though. Selle Anatominca saddles tend to stretch a lot , so it may be too soft after a few rides and the adjusting bolt will be all the way out.

I only use my Selle-Anatimoca on very long rides, over 400 km. It is the best saddle I found so far for long distance. Up to 400 km rides I car ride almost any saddle 140 mm wide.

Some people find the skirts of the saddle are too wide causing chafing on the inner thighs. Rando Richard makes a strap to use on Selle Anatomica saddle to make the front of the saddle narrower.

Rando Richard | Saddle Quest?Search for the Holy Grail
Old 09-26-17, 07:23 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrey
Congrats on finding the right saddle. I would not use the adjusting bolt too much though. Selle Anatominca saddles tend to stretch a lot , so it may be too soft after a few rides and the adjusting bolt will be all the way out.

I only use my Selle-Anatimoca on very long rides, over 400 km. It is the best saddle I found so far for long distance. Up to 400 km rides I car ride almost any saddle 140 mm wide.

Some people find the skirts of the saddle are too wide causing chafing on the inner thighs. Rando Richard makes a strap to use on Selle Anatomica saddle to make the front of the saddle narrower.

SA will modify their saddles at no cost,to allow lacing. This takes care of the chafing.
Old 09-26-17, 08:34 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
SA will modify their saddles at no cost,to allow lacing. This takes care of the chafing.
Thanks, never had an issue with chafing yet, but nice useful info.
Old 09-26-17, 08:56 AM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by elocs
All I can say is that in the 16 years I have ridden my bike I have never experienced any butt pain whatsoever. Zero. Why would anybody ever want to ride a bike which causes them pain?
I'd say you are lucky. But from the number of threads and thread responses speaking about saddle pain, I'm not sure it is always the bike but perhaps the riders own anatomy. When I have issues with bike fit for me it typically manifests as lower back, neck, or knee issue. Not butt. My bony butt simply has yet to find a comfortable saddle. Whether on my mtn bike or road bike, laying down miles in the saddle causes me pain on my sit bones. I switched from a factory saddle to a Selle Italia with better results...but still. This Selle Anatomica is the most comfortable saddle I've yet to try. There are who knows how many threads about saddles and comfort with the typical advice of "try them until you find one that works for you". So if you have never had sit bone pain then thank your lucky stars, but because others DO have pain isn't necessarily as simple as "why would anyone ride a bike that causes pain"? Well, nobody would, and that's the point...trying to get rid of the pain.

Originally Posted by Andrey

I rode the first ride, 54 miles and it required some tightening. Per their enclosed instructions, this is not out of the ordinary. The next ride was 40 miles with no adjustment necessary. It would seem to it would be a warranty issue if it is stretched beyond further adjustment, especially in a short time frame from new.

I did get some mild chafing but attributed that more to tilt of the saddle, set back from the bars, and body position on the saddle. Still tweaking those things.

Originally Posted by Doug64
Good to know. Didn't know they were prone to chafing but will monitor to see if it results after I get minor adjustments tweaked.
Old 09-26-17, 09:20 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Years is a meaningless measure. What's the farthest you've ridden in one "sitting" during that timeframe? I could ride 20 pain-free miles on the plastic saddle off of a BMX bike. I can do laps around the neighborhood in street clothes on a super-stiff, super-light carbon "race" saddle. Get up past a hundred miles, and the differences between saddles become painfully apparent.
Old 10-02-17, 09:49 AM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
I tried to get use to the saddle that came on my Trek Domane SL6 and gave up after 150 miles, the pain was unbearable. Bought a Selle Anatomica X1 last week, rode 32 miles Saturday and 35 miles Sunday, absolutely love it, no pain whatsoever. Downside is it weighs twice as much as the stock saddle but I'll gladly accept that.

Last edited by jimjim58; 10-02-17 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-02-17, 10:18 AM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Five SA's Here

I currently have five SA X's (Vintage color) in use. Love them. However, they do require a great deal of adjustment during the first couple hundred miles. I wrote up a little 'experienced user' procedure I use on my seats. If done properly for the early miles they will require far less adjustment later. I have seats with well over 5000 miles on them that still have most of the tension screw threads remaining. The stretching does slow down substantially. Also be aware the more you weigh the more it will probably stretch. I average around 155lbs myself.

Anyone who wants a copy of my adjustment procedure you can view or save a copy of it here.

Don

Last edited by Don Buska; 10-19-17 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-07-17, 11:44 AM
seesuespin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't work for me..... that cut out........ouch!
Old 10-07-17, 01:26 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
It's a personal thing. I road a Selle Anatomica, worst saddle I've ever sat on, no matter how adjusted. What I tell friends is: make sure you buy with a return policy.

I will say, very nice people in their San Diego customer service office.

Congrats on finding your match.
This
Old 10-09-17, 06:07 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Frankly, I have been riding bicycles most of my life and they are all painful (with the exception of recumbents). It is just a question of the degree of pain. So, why would I ride a bicycle that causes pain? Because nearly everything causes pain, walking is even worse, I eventually reach the point that I just start falling down.

Bicycles give a degree of mobility that I wouldn't, otherwise, have. For shorter distances a properly set up upright isn't 'that bad.' for my morning commute I am not riding far enough to have a problem, most days. However, and back to the topic, the Selle Anatomica saddle has also helped.

As far as my issue with bicycles, I have one leg about an inch shorter than the other. The shorter leg is also considerably stronger (which makes sense, it is constantly being drooped onto as I walk). The end result is that I move in the saddle more than most riders. With the Selle Anatomica that movement is on my sit bones more than my perineum.
Old 10-13-17, 04:45 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I"m a BIG fan of the ISM ADAMO ATTACK. I have 3 of them on all my bikes - recently bought a wahoo Kickr and found I could use the saddle with a plain exercise shorts (without any chamois) on the trainer and it's just as comfortable!!!!
Old 10-13-17, 12:08 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Got an email from Selle Anatomica, they're having a fall sale this weekend. I've got what I need, but maybe it would be of interest to others. 15% off plus free shipping.
Old 10-18-17, 06:16 AM
HvPnyrs

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3 SA Titanico X saddles here. Woo Hoo -- They work for this Neon Ninja.
Of course different butts different results.

/
Old 10-18-17, 09:12 AM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by fietsbob

good luck.. the leather on those has been found to keep sagging and does so , stretching, until you run out of bolt length

A friend was drilling new holes and trying to set new nose rivets , to give the bolt range of adjustment another go-round on one.

I've had to adjust mine 2 or 3 times now since the initial ride adjustment. It's so darn comfortable I can't imagine riding again without it. But your words and my multiple adjustments over about 400 miles has me a bit worried. I'm hoping the stretch will reach its limit, as others have reported, and just stay there. We'll see...