Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What can this bike take?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What can this bike take?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 08:12 AM
Kevsumac

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 3 disc Hybrid, Bontrager Privateer Mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What can this bike take?

I'm new to Hybrids as I have mostly rode "Mountain" bikes from the likes of Walmart. I've been logging more and more miles and decided it was time to get a nice bike and I decided on a Hybrid. I got a Cannondale Quick 3 disc. It is crazy cool. Aluminum frame, carbon fork, internal cable routing, and HYDRAULIC disc brakes. What I did not know about these bikes is that I would feel every crack in a sidewalk. I'm getting these descriptions from their website and am not sure exactly what they are, the rims are : DC3.0 Disc, double wall, 32-hole and the tires are : Schwalbe Spicer, 700x30c, puncture protection. Now I'll mostly be riding on a paved bike trail but would like to ride around town and to work as well. I've already ridden to work and it's on a bike path that's an overblown sidewalk with ramps up and down at every cross street. These ramps feel like I'm beating the crap out of my bike. Am I doing this bike an injustice by riding it on such surfaces? Can the tires handle it? The carbon forks too? If I have to totally baby this bike and only ride it on glass-like surfaces then I'll regret the $1000 investment. I understand that this bike is not for off road use but Cannondale billed it "With lightest-in-class weights, bright reflective graphics and a smooth, stable ride, the Quick is the fast, fun way to get fit or get around town." And I did test ride it but that was on smooth asphalt. Thanks in advance for your responses!
Old 09-28-17, 08:46 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
What's your personal weight and what do you keep the tire pressure at?

With the carbon fork you really should not be feeling every crack in the road. With an aluminum fork, sure..
Old 09-28-17, 09:18 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You're fine.

I have similar bike, Sirrus Sport, carbon fork, 32mm tires (although they measure 37-38mm, which is a head scratcher). I am significantly over 200lbs and have almost 1,100 miles on it. I jump the curbs, ride off road on gravel and dirt roads with tree roots and such and no issues yet.

Yes I feel all the expansion joints and cracks but you will get used to it. As raqball suggested, lowering the tire pressure a bit will smooth out the ride.
Old 09-28-17, 09:44 AM
Kevsumac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raqball.....I'm 185lbs and I believe the bike shop inflated them to the recommended 70lbs.
Sal....looked up you bike and it is very similar. If you ride yours like that then I should be fine.

I'm not worried about feeling every crack in the sidewalk, I was more worried what is was or was not doing to my bike. Thanks you guys.
Old 09-28-17, 09:56 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevsumac
Raqball.....I'm 185lbs and I believe the bike shop inflated them to the recommended 70lbs.
Sal....looked up you bike and it is very similar. If you ride yours like that then I should be fine.

I'm not worried about feeling every crack in the sidewalk, I was more worried what is was or was not doing to my bike. Thanks you guys.
Not sure why you'd be feeling every crack with a carbon fork then. Is it a full carbon fork?

I am 6' 1" and weight about 160 lbs. I keep my tires inflated at about 95PSI (tires are labeled as 85-115) and I don't feel all the cracks in the road. My Sirrus and BMC both have full carbon forks though.
Old 09-28-17, 11:51 AM
HobieKen 

Bikes: 2021 TREK Rail 5, 2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy, 2017 Cannondale Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Odd, I bought a Quick 5 disc based on smoothness of ride compared to others. Sorry I don't know what to reccommend.
Old 09-28-17, 12:07 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'm new to Hybrids as I have mostly rode "Mountain" bikes from the likes of Walmart. I've been logging more and more miles and decided it was time to get a nice bike and I decided on a Hybrid. I got a Cannondale Quick 3 disc. It is crazy cool. Aluminum frame, carbon fork, internal cable routing, and HYDRAULIC disc brakes. What I did not know about these bikes is that I would feel every crack in a sidewalk. I'm getting these descriptions from their website and am not sure exactly what they are, the rims are : DC3.0 Disc, double wall, 32-hole and the tires are : Schwalbe Spicer, 700x30c, puncture protection. Now I'll mostly be riding on a paved bike trail but would like to ride around town and to work as well. I've already ridden to work and it's on a bike path that's an overblown sidewalk with ramps up and down at every cross street. These ramps feel like I'm beating the crap out of my bike. Am I doing this bike an injustice by riding it on such surfaces? Can the tires handle it? The carbon forks too? If I have to totally baby this bike and only ride it on glass-like surfaces then I'll regret the $1000 investment. I understand that this bike is not for off road use but Cannondale billed it "With lightest-in-class weights, bright reflective graphics and a smooth, stable ride, the Quick is the fast, fun way to get fit or get around town." And I did test ride it but that was on smooth asphalt. Thanks in advance for your responses!
It's all about pneumatic suspension. You want more volume, less pressure and flexible, supple compounds (especially sidewalls).

Spicer isn't Schwalbe's best rolling tire and based on it's size/weight ratio it's possible to believe it's not that supple.

Try dropping the pressure a bit and see how it feels. You need to find the balance between comfortable, sluggish and bottoming out. 30mm size isn't that large to give you a great margin. I'm sure you could go up to 38mm tires on your bike and ride them at around 60psi. It should make a big difference. If you don't want to lose speed, get a higher end, lighter, suppler tire.

If you're not sure how big of a tire you can fit, ask your lbs to help you estimate.
Old 09-29-17, 06:59 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
I think the 30mm tires are going to be behind much of the feeling you're encountering. Flat-resistant tires will generally feel harsher in general, and the smaller you go in tire volume, the higher pressure you normally need to run to support your weight.

I run larger volume tires on my hybrids, at a lower pressure. Even 5-10 psi makes a big difference in feel. My bikes both have tires that are 36-38mm in actual width, and I run 25 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear. I'm ~230# with ~30# bikes. I've played with air pressure a LOT, and this is the best balance I've struck for comfort and performance.

With a 30mm tire, I'd likely have to run at least 70-80 psi in the rear, and I'd find it rather uncomfortable, personally.
Old 09-29-17, 08:30 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I think the 30mm tires are going to be behind much of the feeling you're encountering. Flat-resistant tires will generally feel harsher in general, and the smaller you go in tire volume, the higher pressure you normally need to run to support your weight.

I run larger volume tires on my hybrids, at a lower pressure. Even 5-10 psi makes a big difference in feel. My bikes both have tires that are 36-38mm in actual width, and I run 25 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear. I'm ~230# with ~30# bikes. I've played with air pressure a LOT, and this is the best balance I've struck for comfort and performance.

With a 30mm tire, I'd likely have to run at least 70-80 psi in the rear, and I'd find it rather uncomfortable, personally.
25psi in the front at that weight? That's tubeless territory! You must be very careful in the way you ride cause that's one rock away from a pinch flat... I actually don't know exactly what exact pressures I ride, but I'm fairly certain not below 30psi in the front... And I'm half your weight.
Old 09-29-17, 08:39 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
Let some air out of the tires and try again.

It would be worse if you didn't have a carbon fork on the bike
Old 09-29-17, 09:43 AM
Kevsumac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'm not complaining about what it feels like, I was more concerned that I was damaging the bike. I believe I'll stick with these tires and my current pressure as I don't mind feeling the road and I definitely like the speed the set up gives me. Great information everyone, I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.
Old 09-29-17, 09:49 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
25psi in the front at that weight? That's tubeless territory! You must be very careful in the way you ride cause that's one rock away from a pinch flat... I actually don't know exactly what exact pressures I ride, but I'm fairly certain not below 30psi in the front... And I'm half your weight.
I am careful, yes. I can't remember the last time I've flatted, for any reason. I do take off-road trails with tree roots and such, but I pick up on the bike so as to not pinch the tube. On the road, I haven't ever pinched the tube (that I recall, anyway).
Old 09-29-17, 02:53 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm new to Hybrids as I have mostly rode "Mountain" bikes from the likes of Walmart.
Yes well you have gone from a very bump compliant style to the "city bike" style of bike. With the narrower tires it's suited more for smooth surfaces. Enjoy the ride
Old 09-29-17, 04:41 PM
DEW21

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 156lb rider and run 55lbs rear and 50lbs front on my Giant Escape with 32mm gatorskins which seems to be the sweet spot for me.
Old 09-29-17, 05:02 PM
Beavis5220

Bikes: 2020 BMC Alpenchallenge 2017 BMC Alpenchallenge

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Giant Escape that I switch between 32mm Bontragers at 65-70 psi and 28mm Conti GP4000SII's at 110psi....it's like 2 totally different bikes.....feels like a luxury car vs a race car. You should lower your tire pressure......
Old 09-30-17, 05:56 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The bike will be fine! Hope this helps!
Old 10-08-17, 05:09 PM
W1MBT

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you're enjoying your bike! I have the same bike and have ridden about 800 miles in the last two months with no issues (MUP and roads). I set the tire pressure at 75 in the rear and 65 in the front. YMMV, but that works for me. The bike has handled the cracks, various debris, and bumps just fine. I'm pleased with the bike and how it handles. I may upgrade the tires over the winter just to try something 'new/improved', but these have worked fine so far. Good luck with the Quick 3!