Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Upgrading equipment vs replace bike

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 10:46 AM
bugsy55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello...i have been riding a trek 6000 for 18 years..i purchased it new in 1998..anyway..ive been thinking about getting a different bike..but the costs of new bikes have shot up..alot...
so, im thinking about maybe switching out parts foe new..thats were i need help
would it be practical in upgrading the parts or just replacing the bike all together?
any help would be appreciated...
Old 10-10-17, 11:16 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 168 Posts
Well, what parts do you think you want to replace?
Old 10-10-17, 02:26 PM
bugsy55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive been thinkin about replacing the front rockshocks suspension..the whole drive train..and petals w/arms (?)
the bike is original..minus the handle...the gears slip and it has been..rather i...have i have had to dump it...a lot of times..i would like to replace the tires aand wheels...but adddin it up...its costly..so if you were in my shoes...what do you think you would do...im just guessin its aabout 700 bucks so far snoopin around on websites
thanks for your response.
Old 10-11-17, 07:02 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeeze, 18 years on the same bike? I'd take that old bike, clean it, and hang it on my wall.

A $700 bike will get you an entry level hard tail, you can get even more if you search used. Technology has come a long way too, it may ride better than your old Trek. It will definitely shift better. Mountain bikes take tons of abuse and so do their parts. In the long run, parts will be easier to find for a newer steed.
Old 10-11-17, 08:36 AM
bugsy55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panza...thanks for the input, i am leanin on just replacing the bike,..and just keep it..i would hate to part with it..and selling would get me next to nuthin..and so..maybe replace a part here and there..and enjoy a newer bike..BUT..idont want a bike made in china..thats why i bought my 6000 ..it was made in wisconsin.
so tagain thanks.he search continues..
Old 10-11-17, 08:37 AM
bugsy55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the search continues...thanks again
Old 10-11-17, 04:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6338 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 3,396 Posts
Originally Posted by bugsy55
..............BUT..idont want a bike made in china..thats why i bought my 6000 ..it was made in wisconsin.
many of the low end and even higher end bikes today are going to be made somewhere that labor is cheap. That doesn't make them bad bikes. The different brands, Trek, Giant, Kona, Speciallized or what ever flavor you lean toward have a keen interest in making sure they are quality built to good standards.

So don't fear them. Your phone and whatever you posted from wasn't made in Wisconsin.
Old 10-11-17, 04:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 4,548 Times in 3,379 Posts
So that is a vintage MTB. Steel frame?

Does it have a 1" or 1 1/8" fork? Quill stem or threadless stem?

People commonly replace MTB forks. However, you'll likely discover some parts will be incompatible with the latest generation, or perhaps one upgrade will lead to two or three more.

Still, there are reasons to keep the original (or upgrade), vs buying new.

I still put quite a few miles on my road bike that is about 30 years older than your MTB. And, yes, it has had a few upgrades, some due to worn parts, some just because. Finally, I have diversified bikes a bit, both because I do diverse riding, and like to experiment some.

Vintage steel MTBs still have a strong following, especially for general around town beater bikes.
Old 10-12-17, 10:51 AM
bugsy55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks to all for your comments, i quickly registered here on this forum...and didnt know where to post this question,
thats why its in this thread..fitting your bike
its aluminum frame...it rides well..i really dont want to get rid of the bike...as one poster mentioned put it on the wall in the garage,..i think i am gonna buy a new bike,..and slowly upgrade some components..and ride...both bikes..
thanks all...i am gonna read and learn here on this forum...
Old 10-12-17, 11:34 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by bugsy55
thanks to all for your comments, i quickly registered here on this forum...and didnt know where to post this question,
thats why its in this thread..fitting your bike
its aluminum frame...it rides well..i really dont want to get rid of the bike...as one poster mentioned put it on the wall in the garage,..i think i am gonna buy a new bike,..and slowly upgrade some components..and ride...both bikes..
thanks all...i am gonna read and learn here on this forum...
Probably a good choice, Buggsy.

What I would suggest is that you may not need to replace as many parts as you think. For example, the shock likely can be rebuilt or otherwise improved without necessarily replacing it. Also, you probably can fix the shifting problems with a new chain, cassette or freewheel, and perhaps chainrings. It’s not hard to do, either.