Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

RECOMMENDATION: Helmet for winter cycling in Canada??

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-17, 04:46 AM
Canuckophile
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

What are you recommending for cold winter weather Helmets for a Canada?

Thank you,

C
Old 10-21-17, 07:46 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
I wear the same helmet I wear in the summer, but I do wear anything from a thin head band for the ears to full on balaclava for the face and neck depending on the temperature. Just make sure the helmet is large enough to accommodate.

If that's not what you're looking for you can always try snowboarding helmet, or even a motorcycle helmet. But that's total overkill.
Old 10-21-17, 08:04 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
Hockey, sorry I could not resist.

I bike down to 20 degrees up to 10 miles. For that distance a wool balaclava or a Smart Wool beanie under my helmet.
Old 10-21-17, 09:04 AM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
For most of the winter here in Calgary, I just my normal helmet and helmet cover like this:
WOSAWE Ultralight Windproof Waterproof Dust proof Rain Cover MTB Road Bike Casque Cover Bicycle Cycling Helmets Cover Cap-in Bicycle Helmet from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Underneath, all I wear (down to about -25C) is a fleece-lined headband and a necktube pulled up to below my nose.

If it gets colder than that, I will wear goggles for warmth, and they don't work well with my bike helmet. Then I will use a snowboard helmet and goggles with a balaclava and neoprene face mask. Luckily, we get only a handful of days a year that are this cold in Calgary.
Old 10-21-17, 11:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
SKi Helmet, though wearing one F1 Champ Michael Schumacher, still suffered brain damage, crashing, wearing one , Skiing..

Bern Helmets has a Skate-Bike-Ski Helmet line , interchanging liners with the season ... not the only brand doing that..

Old 10-21-17, 04:53 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 82 Posts
Here in Ottawa I use a cap like this under my helmet:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5054-0...-Thermo-Skully

(Not this brand, I can't remember what it is, my sister gave it to me for Christmas a while back).

I find that the combination of this and the helmet is fine to about -18 to 20 C. Below that , I use a thin balaclava—but that's to keep my face warm. It's not any warmer around the ears, and it seems fine.
Old 10-21-17, 05:36 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
SKi Helmet, though wearing one F1 Champ Michael Schumacher, still suffered brain damage, crashing, wearing one , Skiing..

Bern Helmets has a Skate-Bike-Ski Helmet line , interchanging liners with the season ... not the only brand doing that..

I still think of Michael Schumacher even today. I used to watch F1 a lot during the years he was racing. Michael's condition was made worse because he attached a camera to the helmet and it compromised the integrity upon impact.

I have the Bern Brentwood and it was the best purchase made in years. I used to wear a Giro Atmos with a baraclava which was fine. I never knew how a winter helmet with small vents could make cycling so much better. I won't go back to a summer helmet during the winter.
Old 10-21-17, 09:04 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Giro Nine + Salamander Beak visor
Old 10-21-17, 09:22 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Ive been using a Nine with ski goggles the last couple of winters. A far better combination than my summer helmet with various attempts with liners, etc.
Old 10-21-17, 09:30 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by 02Giant
Ive been using a Nine with ski goggles the last couple of winters. A far better combination than my summer helmet with various attempts with liners, etc.
In fact, Giro markets a bike helmet for winter that seems to be just a repackaged Giro Nine. Not surprisingly you can get the Giro Nine for much less in the market than the bike marketed Timberwolf.
Old 10-21-17, 10:13 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
In fact, Giro markets a bike helmet for winter that seems to be just a repackaged Giro Nine. Not surprisingly you can get the Giro Nine for much less in the market than the bike marketed Timberwolf.
I had come across that before. It looked to me like the Nine, marketed for cycling. Since I had one I didn't give it more than a quick glance. Sneaky of Giro...
Old 10-21-17, 11:30 PM
RowdyTI

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I still think of Michael Schumacher even today. I used to watch F1 a lot during the years he was racing. Michael's condition was made worse because he attached a camera to the helmet and it compromised the integrity upon impact.

I have the Bern Brentwood and it was the best purchase made in years. I used to wear a Giro Atmos with a baraclava which was fine. I never knew how a winter helmet with small vents could make cycling so much better. I won't go back to a summer helmet during the winter.
Camera or not, his injuries were so severe that it has to make us question just how effective many of these helmets really are.

That said I wear a thin wool beanie under my helmet during colder weather and it adjusts using a switch at the back to accommodate the larger head volume. I feel the helmet is just as effective in this configuration as when directly on my head. It feels secure and my head feels comfortable.
Old 10-22-17, 12:18 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I'm too cheap to get anymore bicycle-specific gear. I just wear a touque under my helmet and readjust the straps so I don't strangle. For those days where you can get frost bite, I add a balaclava.
Old 10-22-17, 02:54 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 1,689 Times in 832 Posts
FWIW I bike 9 miles down to 10F and I'm bald...Peter Boyle bald. I wear a thin, nylon balaclava under my helmet and tuck my ears under my Halo sweatband, and a wool earband under 21F. A couple of times last winter when it was down near 10F and windy I put the hood of my hi-vis windbreaker over the balaclava and under the helmet. It's not a bike specific windbreaker, but it's breathable and bright and goes over whatever I'm wearing. I normaly tuck the hood in, and in cold weather, if I have to stop I put it on under my helmet.
Old 10-22-17, 06:48 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I like snowboard helmets. In addition to being comfy and keeping wind off my ears, they do very well at holding ski goggles.

I have the Bern Berkeley. I use it with the summer liner for cold rain, and with the winter liner for 30F and below.
Old 10-23-17, 05:48 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 135 Posts
To be honest, last year I didn't wear a helmet - couldn't get warm with it on. My speeds were so much slower, I was less worried about it.

I got a helmet cover this year, will probably use it with a balaclava and/or face mask depending on temperature. I'm looking for a good cheap skull-cap type liner.
Old 10-24-17, 03:25 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
Hockey, sorry I could not resist.
Winner! Hockey helmet and just skate!

When rainy fall comes around, I put a "waterproof breathable" shell on my summer helmet that I randomly found at TJMaxx for ~$7. It seems to be made from the same laminate/plasticky material as waterproof jackets. It definitely helps to cut down on wind. Then, based on the temps, I will use either a thin wool hat, a thicker fleece hat, or wear a thin balaclava underneath. If it's too cold such that my eyes would water, I'll put on night-skiing (clear-lens) goggles but I find that it distorts my vision a bit. I don't see a point in spending more money on and then storing another winter-only helmet. This works down to 12F, below which I have not cycled yet (haven't gotten that cold plus hands/feet become a bigger problem)

I already own and tried using one of those skiing-specific 200-weight TurtleFleece neck gaitors once - in 20F weather - and I boiled in it.
Old 10-24-17, 05:54 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Why not a snowmobile helmet? Surely they are advanced and do not fog?
Old 10-25-17, 03:47 PM
Canuckophile
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Hi, where is the best place to buy the Giro helmet?

Thanks
Old 10-25-17, 04:12 PM
2_i 

The prices can depend on size and color. Just measure your head circumference accurately and google around. You should be able to get one now for around US$50. Just don't delay as prices can go up closer to winter. I got mine after the surgeon sewing my scalp muttered that the helmet would have been so much cheaper and straightforward than the work he was doing . I was still too dizzy to come up with such a conclusion myself
Old 10-25-17, 07:34 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I prefer Specialized helmets because they have a front vent. For weather when it might rain, I can wear a goretex helmet cover on top of the helmet, but put it above the front vent and still get a little airflow through the helmet. When it's colder the helmet cover can cover the front vent as well.
Old 10-29-17, 01:33 PM
Canuckophile
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, fellows I picked up the Giro Shackleton Helmet in Neon Yellow at Ebay for a good price

I like the light attachment at the back of the helmet, I ride in the dark during cold months!
Old 10-29-17, 06:40 PM
2_i 

Looks like a good deal. The detachable visor is nice. The rear light clip seems to be a bit meager. Normally you want to have a clip for the strap of goggles, in case you use them, to which you can attach a rear light too. If you want a headlamp then you can pass its strap under such clip too. Aside from that, you seem to have most of the desirable features there, including detachable earmuffs, pads for adjusting ventilation and for the neck.
Old 11-04-17, 01:49 PM
edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Canuckophile
Hi,

What are you recommending for cold winter weather Helmets for a Canada?

Thank you,

C
In the past I would put a rain cover on my helmet which cuts the wind.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-8...r-Helmet-Cover

Currently I twist a merino wool tube into a toque and wear that under my normal hemlet.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-1...bular-Headwear
Old 11-10-17, 08:21 AM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Afro shower cap

First snow of the season today. Time to put my oversized Afro shower cap over my helmet to block moisture and wind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.