Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Small hairpin clip, where to get?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 03:57 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts

Hi

Very stupid quesion: I have lost the hairpin safety clip which prevents pad retaining bolt from unscrewing on TRP Spyre. TRP has bolt/clip assembly for >$10 here: https://www.trpcycling.com/product/pad-retaining-pins/ (It has the picture of the pin and the clip.) In addition, Spyre one is out of stock, so one can only buy a HY/RD pin/clip for the sake of the clip. That is a bit expensive

I thought it would be possible to get such generic part elsewhere. I asked at a hardware store and auto shop, they did not have it. The length of the clip is 11mm, inner size at the point which contacts the groove in the bolt is 2mm.

I understand that an alternative solution would be to loctite the threads.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-18-17, 04:36 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 50 Posts
try a search for a hairpin cotter or R-clip
Old 11-18-17, 06:44 PM
Slash5

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Pickup a some piano wire at a hobby shop and make one with needle nose pliers. A R/C hobby shop may have a clip close enough to use.
Old 11-18-17, 06:58 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 772 Posts
Try a motorcycle shop. Many MC's use that type of clip for brake pad retention as well. If the parts counter doesn't stock them go around to the service department.
Old 11-19-17, 12:13 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Thanks for all the help!

Originally Posted by bluehills3149
try a search for a hairpin cotter or R-clip
Very helpful search, grainger.com has some similar clips, they have a shop nearby.

Originally Posted by Slash5
Pickup a some piano wire at a hobby shop and make one with needle nose pliers. A R/C hobby shop may have a clip close enough to use.
Sorry, is R/C for "remote control"? Not sure about the piano wire, can it be bent so that it keeps its shape under stress? The pin I have does not have a hole but rather groove. I actually thought about getting a piece of some soft wire, wrapping it around the groove and twisting the lose ends together. Not reusable but who cares

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Try a motorcycle shop. Many MC's use that type of clip for brake pad retention as well. If the parts counter doesn't stock them go around to the service department.
Will ask them.
Old 11-19-17, 12:38 AM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
You can definitely get them here:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#hairpin-clips/=1abhf5i

Though at that size the minimum quantity is 100!
About $10.
Likes For KJK:
Old 11-19-17, 01:04 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 2175 Post(s)
Liked 3,532 Times in 1,237 Posts
I have a bunch of radio control car body clips; one of them should work for you. E-mail me your address at rccardr@cox.net and I'll send some to you in an envelope.
Old 11-19-17, 07:01 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 479 Posts
It looks like an E-clip would be a more appropriate retainer for that type of pin. https://www.mcmaster.com/?error_redi...clips/=1abmcy3
Old 11-19-17, 08:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
It looks like an E-clip would be a more appropriate retainer for that type of pin. https://www.mcmaster.com/?error_redi...clips/=1abmcy3
Yes, it probably would but would require tools to remove and reinstall. A hairpin cotter can be removed and installed with just your fingers.
Old 11-19-17, 08:53 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
They might have them in the fastener drawers at Lowes.
Old 11-19-17, 09:47 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 772 Posts
It just dawned on me that no one has mentioned just going to a bike shop. There's a good chance they may have some of these in stock. Should also add that as the OP mentioned just some locktite on the threads will be fine. I run these type of retainer bolts w/clips on my motorcycles and have never had one start to back out even without the locktite and that includes racing which puts them through massive stresses.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 11-19-17 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-04-19, 08:06 AM
rsquared

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this multi-pack/assortment at Napa Auto, $3.75 (US). I also own the TRP Spyre post-mount mechanical disk brakes. These will fit, but I can't speak to corrosion resistance (yet).

There are two in the package, in addition to some very small r-shaped ones that would work in a pinch (temporarily).

I am new, so I am not allowed to post a link for you yet, by policy. Just go to Napaonline and search for part: NOE 7352657
Old 04-04-19, 11:53 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 200 Posts
Check with an Ace Hardware better selection then home Depot or Lowe's for that type of part.

Old 04-06-19, 07:22 PM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
old thread but bike shop will have a collection of cotter pins. easy. or hardware store and get a cotter pin
Old 03-28-22, 04:21 PM
jcwu

Bikes: 201? Specialized Secteur Triple, 2017 Specialized Diverge A1, 2018 Specialized AWOL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because I lost one of these pins (probably forgot to put it back on, then swept up the work area afterwards). Others have mentioned they're probably not necessary, but I can't help myself.

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
It just dawned on me that no one has mentioned just going to a bike shop.
I went to a bike store (Mike's Bikes) and checked with the service department. They seemed like they've never heard of such a thing. I suppose if I brought a pin with me to show them, they'd maybe know what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by rsquared
Found this multi-pack/assortment at Napa Auto, $3.75 (US). I also own the TRP Spyre post-mount mechanical disk brakes. These will fit, but I can't speak to corrosion resistance (yet).

There are two in the package, in addition to some very small r-shaped ones that would work in a pinch (temporarily).

I am new, so I am not allowed to post a link for you yet, by policy. Just go to Napaonline and search for part: NOE 7352657
Thanks for this - I just ordered a pack.
Old 03-28-22, 05:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,316 Times in 907 Posts
Originally Posted by jcwu
Resurrecting this thread because I lost one of these pins (probably forgot to put it back on, then swept up the work area afterwards). Others have mentioned they're probably not necessary, but I can't help myself.

I went to a bike store (Mike's Bikes) and checked with the service department. They seemed like they've never heard of such a thing. I suppose if I brought a pin with me to show them, they'd maybe know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for this - I just ordered a pack.
Any hardware/home improvement or slightly above bottom feeder auto parts store should have them.
Just Google hairpin hardware
to see how it's a common item.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-28-22, 11:53 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 812 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
Hi

Very stupid quesion: I have lost the hairpin safety clip which prevents pad retaining bolt from unscrewing on TRP Spyre. TRP has bolt/clip assembly for >$10 here: https://www.trpcycling.com/product/pad-retaining-pins/ (It has the picture of the pin and the clip.) In addition, Spyre one is out of stock, so one can only buy a HY/RD pin/clip for the sake of the clip. That is a bit expensive

I thought it would be possible to get such generic part elsewhere. I asked at a hardware store and auto shop, they did not have it. The length of the clip is 11mm, inner size at the point which contacts the groove in the bolt is 2mm.

I understand that an alternative solution would be to loctite the threads.

Thanks for any help.
Haven't read the thread, just responding. You're looking for a hairpin or Rclip type cotter pin. My local Tru Value hardware is very likely to have a cotter pin that would work. Other than that, do a simple web search for cotter pin assortment or, if you know the approximate dimensions, search on that.