Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Warmest winter glove: Pearl Izumi Pro AmFIB Super Gloves vs. Gore Universal GTX Themo

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Warmest winter glove: Pearl Izumi Pro AmFIB Super Gloves vs. Gore Universal GTX Themo

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 01:14 PM
brombo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for the warmest bike gloves on the market. My hands get easily cold. I currently have regular Pearl Izumi Pro AmFIB Gloves and even though they are advertised for up to -5°C, anything below 2°C get my fingers cold. I live in Warsaw and currently the temperatures are below 0°C regularly.

Do you think the Pro AmFIB Super Glove will improve anything (170g vs 130g Primaloft insulation), any experiences? And how would those compare to the Gore Universal GTX Thermo Gloves, which have water-resistant Goretex material? Is that better? Maybe you can recommend me other gloves?

Many thanks for your help!
Old 02-18-18, 01:21 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 561 Posts
I use some old LL Bean ski gloves when it gets down near freezing. No cycle glove has worked for me below 40F.
Old 02-18-18, 01:30 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I've struggled to find a single glove but the science is simple - you need a layer of air over your skin, and it's difficult to keep this on fingers used whilst cycling!

So i wear two carefully chosen pairs - woolly gloves on the inside, as their structure holds air. Then a very thin but windproof pair over the top. These are oversize, so they don't squeeze out the warm air in the wool.

This works great. Each pair being cheap, £4 each i think, so that's warm, windproof gloves for £8.

Keeping dry is essential, nothing will work wet. I have a pair of shiny leather gloves i keep wax polished, but they're not as warm.
Old 02-18-18, 02:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
For the price of those gloves I'd get a pair of Dakine or Swany ski gloves with pocket for chemical hand warmers.

-Tim-
Old 02-19-18, 07:40 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
45 North has a range of products for different cold weather conditions. Good stuff but not cheap. Here's their extreme-cold cycling glove but you also might want to check out their pogies: https://45nrth.com/products/sturmfist-4
Old 02-19-18, 10:00 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 425 Posts
A couple years ago at a winter road race (running), I bought a pair of mittens at the pre-race expo. A reflective, rain and wind resistant shell, and the fleece liner is removable. They're great for all ranges of temps. First time I wore them at around 25°F my hands sweat. I thought I'd try them on a cold bike ride. They worked great. I've since decided that full-on mittens...where your fingers are all together and not separated by an inner glove...are the best (for me anyway). The only problem on the bike was that they didn't cover my wrists. I recently purchased a pair of mittens with a wind resistant shell and wrist protection for $10 at a close-out store. They work great! I have the Pearl iZumi 'lobster gloves' but they're not nearly as good. Mittens is the way to go.

Dan
Old 02-20-18, 08:52 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Cold Weather Cycling Gloves

I am now in my second season with the LG Shield gloves ( https://garneau.com/us/en/lg-shield-cycling-gloves) and very pleased with them down to 25 degrees F (~ -4C).
I also have a pair of Answer Sleestak gloves (https://www.answerproducts.com/apparel/gloves/sleestak/) that I've used at 20 deg. F ( -7 C) and are also very effective.

Best regards
Old 02-20-18, 08:57 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,673 Times in 1,684 Posts
i am currently using mittens. marmot mountaineering mittens. when it is 20+ i switch back to gloves.
Old 02-20-18, 09:06 AM
mrFreel

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek 520, Surly Straggler, Trek Roscoe 8, Fisher HK2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once wore a pair of very heavy gloves which kept my hands warm but I could not work the shift levers on my drop bar bike. Good luck inn finding something that works for you.
Old 02-20-18, 12:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 936 Posts
After looking around for a decent pair of winter cycling gloves and having no luck, I finally bit the bullet and paid $30 for a pair of Dakine downhill skiing gloves. They're awesome. We don't get as cold as some of you, but man the wind chill kills my hands in anything else! These are windproof, water resistant, and have a fuzzy inside for warmth. They're worth every penny.