Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Counter clockwise, clockwise, what??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 05:31 PM
Learning here

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When everyone so casually throws around sentences like "Turn the barrel clockwise..." what do they mean? Should I look at the shifter mech along the barrel, my face is at the center of the bike, looking at the handlegrips, and I need to see the barrel adjuster as a clock, and turn it clockwise?

Or do I have it backwards? Should I be seeing the barrel as a tiny clock as I face the center of the bike from off to one side???? Likewise minor brake adjustments.
Of course, for the barrel down on the rear derailler, there is the same question, but it is 90 degrees turned. What is the system? This is so basic, I feel foolish asking, and I know I can just experiment, but please tell me, thanks.
Old 04-14-18, 05:51 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not every one will be consistent in the way they tell you, but the way it should be described is such that you are looking from the object being turned toward the object into which it is turning. Thus when turning a spoke you look from the nipple (rim) toward the spoke (hub), when turning a cable adjuster you look from the adjuster along the cable toward the derailleur or lever. It's actually much more helpful in the long run to understand why you are doing a procedure (what the effect is) rather than just memorizing or following instructions by rote.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 04-14-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 06:32 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Learning here
When everyone so casually throws around sentences like "Turn the barrel clockwise..." what do they mean? Should I look at the shifter mech along the barrel, my face is at the center of the bike, looking at the handlegrips, and I need to see the barrel adjuster as a clock, and turn it clockwise?

Or do I have it backwards? Should I be seeing the barrel as a tiny clock as I face the center of the bike from off to one side???? Likewise minor brake adjustments.
Of course, for the barrel down on the rear derailler, there is the same question, but it is 90 degrees turned. What is the system? This is so basic, I feel foolish asking, and I know I can just experiment, but please tell me, thanks.
A google search of the entire www.bikeforums.net website seems to find your quoted phrase only once in the past nine years, and that in a quotation from a much older article (sourced).

So who is the "everyone" you mention? Maybe ask them directly.
Old 04-14-18, 06:45 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 251 Posts
Specific to rear derailleurs (or rear mechs), which I think seems to be your question:
- to add tension to a rear derailleur cable, un-screw the barrel adjuster, like you want to loosen a screw. In this case, you would be turning the barrel adjuster counter clockwise.
(why add tension to the cable? because when you shift from small sprockets to big sprockets, it's not shifting or not shifting completely)

- to remove tension, turn the barrel to TIGHTEN (clockwise).
(why remove tension? you are getting poor shifting going from big sprockets to small sprockets, and you've added to much tension to the cable from step one.

- when you install the cable, the shifter should be in the position of the smallest sprocket, the barrel should be all the way "tightened" to the derailleur, and you should pull the cable as much as possible with some needle nose pliers.

or - just go read Sheldon Brown: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
- I'm going to go read about B-screw adjustment now. Ciao!

Old 04-14-18, 07:27 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
A google search of the entire www.bikeforums.net website seems to find your quoted phrase only once in the past nine years, and that in a quotation from a much older article (sourced).

So who is the "everyone" you mention? Maybe ask them directly.
Thank you so much for catching this. It's now very obvious to me that the poster was intentionally claiming those exact words were used multiple times when he knew that was not the case. I'm sure he he did so purely to cause trouble, and in fact was not truly confused. I myself did not catch the feigned nature of his question, and foolishly treated his query as genuine.
Old 04-14-18, 08:22 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Thank you so much for catching this. It's now very obvious to me that the poster was intentionally claiming those exact words were used multiple times when he knew that was not the case. I'm sure he he did so purely to cause trouble, and in fact was not truly confused. I myself did not catch the feigned nature of his question, and foolishly treated his query as genuine.
Gosh, I hope you're kidding.

Learning Here, "clockwise" is used from whatever point of view allows you to look most directly at the barrel, pedal spindle, BB cup, etc from the center of the axis around which the part turns. As if you were looking at the head of a screw so it looks like a circle.

People that use tools all the time take it for granted how seemingly arbitrary orientation can be to questions of direction.
Old 04-14-18, 09:19 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Originally Posted by Kontact
Gosh, I hope you're kiddig.
It's hard to convey sarcasm in print - i had hoped the intalics would have helped.
Old 04-14-18, 10:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts
As much fun as this rouse might be it has a real life basis. So many people don't have the spatial understanding to follow "clockwise" or the opposite "counter clockwise". I hear this frequently at work as I talk with/try to explain which way to turn stuff. It's really sad that as we (as a society) race towards the digital future such basic concepts as clock hands direction is forgotten as an important nugget. I find myself referencing a light bulb... Soon even this description will be lost.

What really gets my dander is when people refer to rotational direction as "turn the wrench to the right" (righty tighty). I want to ask which way is the wrench sitting? So many people are not use to critical thinking on so basic a level. Andy
Old 04-14-18, 10:52 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 764 Posts
Generally it would be when you're turning something into something else viewing from the top of the bolt/nut/barrel adjuster, is what clockwise and counterclockwise refer to. I have seen exceptions with in-line cable adjusters which can go either direction depending on the mfr. If you're talking about a derailleur in particular that would be turning the barrel adjuster into the derailleur clockwise-Turn it counter-clockwise to unscrew it outwards. Common, of course, is clockwise threading but one side of Bottom Brackets and Pedals can have reverse or counterclockwise threading

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-14-18 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 12:19 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As much fun as this rouse might be it has a real life basis. So many people don't have the spatial understanding to follow "clockwise" or the opposite "counter clockwise". I hear this frequently at work as I talk with/try to explain which way to turn stuff. It's really sad that as we (as a society) race towards the digital future such basic concepts as clock hands direction is forgotten as an important nugget. I find myself referencing a light bulb... Soon even this description will be lost.

What really gets my dander is when people refer to rotational direction as "turn the wrench to the right" (righty tighty). I want to ask which way is the wrench sitting? So many people are not use to critical thinking on so basic a level. Andy
I don't think the issue is "what is clockwise?", but how the POV is oriented to read the clock. We take it for granted but many people haven't needed to learn about this kind of spatial stuff. It isn't part of a normal education.
Old 04-15-18, 10:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Kontact- I guess you are more right then not. But in the world of bike service I don't see many (any?) try to thread in a pedal from the crank's inboard side. As to cable adjusters I'll sometimes suggest that the person look at the amount of adjuster sticking out from it's housing and just increase or decrease that amount. Andy
Old 04-15-18, 10:19 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Kontact- I guess you are more right then not. But in the world of bike service I don't see many (any?) try to thread in a pedal from the crank's inboard side. As to cable adjusters I'll sometimes suggest that the person look at the amount of adjuster sticking out from it's housing and just increase or decrease that amount. Andy
No, but most of us deal with the left pedal while standing on the right side of the bike because of the bike stand, and then we thread it in looking at it "backwards".

My usual adjuster advice is "turn the top of the barrel in the direction that you need the derailleur to go more".

Not a big deal, I'm just saying that I'm sympathetic. I took mechanical drafting in high school and most people did not have an easy time picturing spatial relationships at all. Mechanical people often have an advantage they don't even realize.
Old 04-15-18, 10:20 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
It's righty tighty, lefty loosey - except when it's not.
Old 04-15-18, 10:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
#1, can you tell time without a digital watch? /s

Threads can be cut right hand , or left hand.. & Once the bolt head faces away from you , you are in Opposite land.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-15-18 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-15-18, 10:44 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It's hard to convey sarcasm in print - i had hoped the intalics would have helped.
next time, end your statement with "/s" so we know for sure.

I say "screw in" or "screw out" to avoid confusion.
Old 04-15-18, 03:23 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 251 Posts
I myself did not catch the feigned nature of his question, and foolishly treated his query as genuine.
?!? - You mean just to waste people's time in responding? Or some other reason?
That's very discouraging.

mrv
Old 04-15-18, 03:28 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by mrv
?!? - You mean just to waste people's time in responding? Or some other reason?
That's very discouraging.

mrv
He was sarcastically making fun Anklework's trolling post.
Old 04-15-18, 03:53 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Just another false premise inviting the usual suspects to post at length all about themselves. Thanks for the entertainment.
Old 04-15-18, 03:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Nuggets of wisdom can come from poorly motivated discussions. Andy
Old 04-15-18, 05:28 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 103 Posts
Here's another way to think of it. Ever heard of the term 'right hand threads'? Now stick out your right hand and make a thumbs up. If you turn the fastener in the direction of your fingers, the fastener will travel the direction of your thumb. For example, if you're looking 'over' your hand, your fingers are curling in a counter-clockwise direction. Turn the nut or bolt the direction of your fingers and the fastener will go up, which is how your thumb is pointed. You can hold your hand up over your head with the thumb pointed down or to the left or right, and the rule still holds true.
Old 04-15-18, 05:28 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Just another false premise inviting the usual suspects to post at length all about themselves. Thanks for the entertainment.
The admiration and gratitude is mutual.
Old 04-15-18, 05:38 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

It doesn't matter from what direction you look at a helix (or a thread screw). It is either right-handed or left-handed. Your point of view doesn't change that. Only looking in a mirror will make it appear to be different.
Old 04-15-18, 05:42 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by wgscott
It doesn't matter from what direction you look at a helix (or a thread screw). It is either right-handed or left-handed. Your point of view doesn't change that. Only looking in a mirror will make it appear to be different.
But it totally matters when you are told to turn it clockwise.
Old 04-15-18, 05:50 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26477 Post(s)
Liked 10,441 Times in 7,244 Posts
Old 04-15-18, 07:46 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
But it totally matters when you are told to turn it clockwise.
A couple of years ago I was giving an exam and I realized half my class did not know how to tell time on an analogue clock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.