Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Beam style torque wrench vs ratchet style

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 05:47 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

any pros or cons either way?
Old 04-28-18, 05:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts
Yes. Andy (and answered the question)
Old 04-28-18, 06:14 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Beam is fine when you can see the scale and don’t need much precision. Ratchet is nice in every other case (such as working on cars).
Old 04-28-18, 06:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6330 Post(s)
Liked 4,918 Times in 3,388 Posts
I like them both and own small and big of both. One of the breaking torques, what I guess you call ratcheting, doesn't have much of a noticeable break when you reach the set torque. But I put that down to differences in brands, as it's a cheap Harbor Freight and the other breaking is a much older Craftsman. Or by ratcheting, were you talking about those funny digital torque wrenches???? I've never used one and don't see the point.

I think most swear by the beams being more accurate, but I doubt it's much. However in the long term, how will you know if the breaking ones aren't out of wack if you don't have any other to compare to, or have it checked by someone. Also, with the beams being a solid rod, I'd think unless you regularly pull max torque, then there is less chance for them to loose their accuracy. If the pointer is off when unloaded, you can just bend the pointer back to zero. But, how much accuracy do you really need? If you are paid for the work you do with it, then yes. For yourself on a bike or car, not so much IMO. For yourself on an aircraft... yes!

I use my breaking torques much more as I don't have to try to get my eyes in the correct position to see the readout while I'm trying to torque things down. For tightening head bolts on an engine, I might specifically pull out the big beam torque wrench. Otherwise they are used much less than the others unless I find one of them first when I've got things scattered all over. I'm still not convinced they are needed on a bike, unless of course you are working on someone else's for money.

Andrew R Stewart is usually pretty verbose, but I admit, he did answer the question as you posed it. I did a lot of supposing as to what you meant.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-28-18 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-28-18, 07:07 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I like them both and own small and big of both. One of the breaking torques, what I guess you call ratcheting, doesn't have much of a noticeable break when you reach the set torque. But I put that down to differences in brands, as it's a cheap Harbor Freight and the other breaking is a much older Craftsman. Or by ratcheting, were you talking about those funny digital torque wrenches???? I've never used one and don't see the point.

I think most swear by the beams being more accurate, but I doubt it's much. However in the long term, how will you know if the breaking ones aren't out of wack if you don't have any other to compare to, or have it checked by someone. Also, with the beams being a solid rod, I'd think unless you regularly pull max torque, then there is less chance for them to loose their accuracy. If the pointer is off when unloaded, you can just bend the pointer back to zero. But, how much accuracy do you really need? If you are paid for the work you do with it, then yes. For yourself on a bike or car, not so much IMO. For yourself on an aircraft... yes!

I use my breaking torques much more as I don't have to try to get my eyes in the correct position to see the readout while I'm trying to torque things down. For tightening head bolts on an engine, I might specifically pull out the big beam torque wrench. Otherwise they are used much less than the others unless I find one of them first when I've got things scattered all over. I'm still not convinced they are needed on a bike, unless of course you are working on someone else's for money.

Andrew R Stewart is usually pretty verbose, but I admit, he did answer the question as you posed it. I did a lot of supposing as to what you meant.
I should have said which do people prefer but I figured with the title being a comparison I figured people would understand the implied desire for preference.

I have a breaking torque wrench. It’s okay but the “break” isn’t always as noticeable as I would like. I might still get a beam style one and see if I like it
Old 04-28-18, 07:34 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa

I should have said which do people prefer but I figured with the title being a comparison I figured people would understand the implied desire for preference.

I have a breaking torque wrench. It’s okay but the “break” isn’t always as noticeable as I would like. I might still get a beam style one and see if I like it
Are we taking about for use on a bike? If so, don’t bother with a beam wrench. You’ll be contorting your neck and laying your bike on its side just to torque your stem bolts correctly. They’re a real PITA. Just buy a decent break wrench.

hell, I bought a really nice beam wrench at a flea market maybe 10 years ago for like $5. Gave it to my kids (3 and 6 at the time). Even they don’t use it.
Old 04-28-18, 08:47 PM
Ball Bearing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both types. The ratcheting Snap On I have works clock wise and counter clock wise - great for bottom bracket cups. The beam type are perfect for just about everything else. My beam wrenches are Warren & Brown that have a spring loaded pin that pops out and makes a click noise when the torque value is reached. The little one goes from 1 to 25 Nm.

Last edited by Ball Bearing; 04-28-18 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-28-18, 08:51 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts
Buy a good torque wrench, the breaking type, in the correct range for your application. Cheap ones are a waste of money. I have a beam type too, and have had it for almost 40 years now. Yes it works, but for many applications it is too long to be useful, and you sometimes cannot get into a position to read it. I have a number of torque wrenches in different torque ranges. I even have a T-handle that is set to 5Nm that accepts different bits. It is great for stems and seat post clamps. You don't have to go crazy, but I would steer away from Harbor Freight. I do have one in inch/pounds, I bought it when I had no other choice one night. It is not good at all, but it worked in a pinch. I would not trust one in a higher torque range, and I do not like, or use this one anymore.

I have a couple Kolbalt which are very nice. You can get them at Lowes. I was skeptical, but when it got more difficult for me to get Snap-On, and Sears went out making Craftsman a non-starter, I tried Kolbalt and really like them. I actually like them more than Craftsman, and close to Snap-On.
Old 04-29-18, 10:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Love my beam type wrench. It's great to be able to see the torque approach your target value instead of waiting for some kind of click or snap. I've never had any trouble using it on a bike, not sure why there would be.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-29-18, 12:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts
Because not everyone can handle tools well. Andy
Old 04-29-18, 03:31 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Because not everyone can handle tools well. Andy
yes, it is only us masters that know its mysterious ways.

Old 04-29-18, 06:01 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 197 Posts
I've used dial, beam and electronic transducer torque wrenches. I prefer the transducer, for a bunch of reasons - no need to zero out when putting it away, beeps when set torque is reached, then beeps again if you exceed your set torque. Pretty foolproof in operation. It's also quite accurate and as far as I can tell, doesn't need to be recalibrated regularly.

The model I have is the Topeak d-torq, cost me around $150 way back when, but I find it invaluable and it gets daily use.
Old 04-30-18, 08:33 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 419 Posts
Calibration is important especially with cheap wrenches (plenty DIY instructions on the web). My neighbor broke a bolt with a Harbor Freight click wrench and we found it way off. Store manager told him to come back after the parking lot sale and trade it out as all the one currently on the shelf had the same problem and a new batch would be out after the sale. In fairness the new wrench was spot on and remains so, he is careful to reset to zero after use.
Old 04-30-18, 10:20 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26477 Post(s)
Liked 10,441 Times in 7,244 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotGuy

yes, it is only us masters that know its mysterious ways.

Originally Posted by RobotGuy
and there’s no reason to be rude.
Old 04-30-18, 10:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The beam type if never mishandled or dropped never goes out of calibration.
Old 04-30-18, 10:23 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Beam-type wrenches are my preference, so long as I can view the scale head-on. They're simple, intuitive, comparatively inexpensive, work both directions, don't need batteries, don't have to be zeroed when you put them away, and they don't need to be sent out for calibration. The biggest caveats are that you can't use one in some tight spots or in instances where you can't view the scale squarely.

I haven't used one, but electronic wrenches seem to incorporate lots of good ideas. Some of them use strain gauges like you'd find in a digital scale, and those seem to maintain their accuracy well. The audible alerts when you reach your torque range or exceed it seem like they'd be really useful. The ability to hold peak value on the display fixes one of the shortfalls of a traditional beam-style wrench. You'd be able to use it in a blind spot, pull the wrench out, and see what your torque value is/was.
Old 04-30-18, 11:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
If in Doubt, the Professional level Stuff From Snap On etc.
can go back for re calibration .. its a service they offer.
Old 04-30-18, 01:55 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,979 Times in 1,238 Posts
Beam type works well on bottom brackets and cranks. You can check how close you are getting as you mutter under your breath about just how much torque you're suppose to use on those darn things.

Of course, that's mostly what I use a torque wrench on.
Old 04-30-18, 09:41 PM
Rubato

Bikes: 91 Trek franken '81 Schwinn Voyager

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have looked at several "click" type wrenches and the projected accuracy tightening counterclockwise is as low as 40%.....
Old 05-03-18, 08:05 AM
ExpertTools

Bikes: 2013 Specialized S-Works Roubaix, 1980 Colnago, Litespeed Ocoee

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
any pros or cons either way?
I vote for neither. Go digital.

Since I do a lot of work on my family cars, I have Snap-on digital torque wrenches in every size, and they are great. These are coming down in price these days, and are plentiful on eBay, (just get any used torque wrench calibrated, unless you're pretty sure it never came out of the box). CDI makes torque wrenches for Snap-on, so you can often find these at a lower price point. The only other torque wrench I have that's NOT digital, (there really is not any substitute,) is a dial type 1/4" inch pound torque wrench with follow up needle for measuring pinion bearing pre-load on differentials. That one, and the 1/2" drive digital are the only ones that I don't use on my bikes. I still would like to add a 3/4" drive torque wrench to my arsenal of tools, (for wheel bearings); for now I'm using torque+angle work-arrounds.
Old 05-03-18, 08:41 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ExpertTools
I vote for neither. Go digital.

Since I do a lot of work on my family cars, I have Snap-on digital torque wrenches in every size, and they are great. These are coming down in price these days, and are plentiful on eBay, (just get any used torque wrench calibrated, unless you're pretty sure it never came out of the box). CDI makes torque wrenches for Snap-on, so you can often find these at a lower price point. The only other torque wrench I have that's NOT digital, (there really is not any substitute,) is a dial type 1/4" inch pound torque wrench with follow up needle for measuring pinion bearing pre-load on differentials. That one, and the 1/2" drive digital are the only ones that I don't use on my bikes. I still would like to add a 3/4" drive torque wrench to my arsenal of tools, (for wheel bearings); for now I'm using torque+angle work-arrounds.

Damn...that is a couple house payments. So jelly.

Keep thinking about getting the Topeak digital torque wrench...keep not hitting buy.
Old 05-03-18, 11:18 AM
ExpertTools

Bikes: 2013 Specialized S-Works Roubaix, 1980 Colnago, Litespeed Ocoee

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Damn...that is a couple house payments. So jelly.

Keep thinking about getting the Topeak digital torque wrench...keep not hitting buy.
Well, I bought them all used. But yeah, they were pretty costly when new. All the digital ones I have get very frequent use on my cars, so worth the money for me.
Old 05-03-18, 03:59 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Lots of talk about resetting click wrenches back to zero when not in use, but I actually reset mine slightly below zero. Because, you know, it's like zero but better!

Am I killing my wrenches? Am I riding and driving around on piles of mistorqued bolts?
Old 05-03-18, 04:40 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I got a clicker type, park tool version. Its great. I wouldn't get a beam version just because I am not smart enough to run it lol
Old 05-04-18, 09:27 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Lots of talk about resetting click wrenches back to zero when not in use, but I actually reset mine slightly below zero. Because, you know, it's like zero but better!

Am I killing my wrenches? Am I riding and driving around on piles of mistorqued bolts?
Torque wrench care and use. https://www1.snapon.com/display/231/...ueWrench08.pdf and.... https://www.norbar.com/en-gb/News-Ev...-torque-wrench

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.