Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Convert a downtube 5mm (Rohloff) cable guide to act as a 4mm derailleur cable stop?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Convert a downtube 5mm (Rohloff) cable guide to act as a 4mm derailleur cable stop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 01:17 PM
ronfinch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
As per the thread title, does anybody know of a way to adapt a downtube cable guide that is 5mm at both the entry and exit point, to act as a cable stop for the 4mm diameter housing of a standard derailleur cable? (I envisage a shim of sorts that has a lip over the top of the cable guide, holding it in place, that sits inside the 5mm cable guide, with an inner lip of less than 4mm). I have looked online but am not sure what to search for, and haven't had any luck. Below is the reason why I am asking, it might help in finding an alternative solution, but it might not! Thanks in advance.

I have a frame that badly needs a respray. It currently has downtube shifter bosses I want to get taken off and replaced with cable guides (as I don't like shifting down there), and it makes sense to get the work done when I get the frame repainted. I also have a long-standing hankering to try a rohloff, however I am not 100% decided, and I wouldn't be able to afford one right away anyway. So, I thought I might be able to have a 5mm cable guide for the rohloff on the downtube (that I can adapt for use with a derailleur), and get extra cable guides on/near the non-drive side bottom bracket and non-drive side chainstay. My rear dropouts will work with a rohloff and of course have the rear derailleur hanger so as Far as I know I only need worry about the cable guides. I realise there are lots of different options for rohloff cable guides. This just seems the neatest way of going about it, seeing as how the frame needs work anyway.

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-18, 02:52 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
There are housing stops that will mount to downtube shifter bosses. The bonus is, they come with adjuster barrels.
https://cyclebabac.com/product/housing-stopper/
Old 06-12-18, 03:04 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4585 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,138 Posts
Originally Posted by ronfinch
Hi,
As per the thread title, does anybody know of a way to adapt a downtube cable guide that is 5mm at both the entry and exit point, to act as a cable stop for the 4mm diameter housing of a standard derailleur cable? (I envisage a shim of sorts that has a lip over the top of the cable guide, holding it in place, that sits inside the 5mm cable guide, with an inner lip of less than 4mm). I have looked online but am not sure what to search for, and haven't had any luck. Below is the reason why I am asking, it might help in finding an alternative solution, but it might not! Thanks in advance.

I have a frame that badly needs a respray. It currently has downtube shifter bosses I want to get taken off and replaced with cable guides (as I don't like shifting down there), and it makes sense to get the work done when I get the frame repainted. I also have a long-standing hankering to try a rohloff, however I am not 100% decided, and I wouldn't be able to afford one right away anyway. So, I thought I might be able to have a 5mm cable guide for the rohloff on the downtube (that I can adapt for use with a derailleur), and get extra cable guides on/near the non-drive side bottom bracket and non-drive side chainstay. My rear dropouts will work with a rohloff and of course have the rear derailleur hanger so as Far as I know I only need worry about the cable guides. I realise there are lots of different options for rohloff cable guides. This just seems the neatest way of going about it, seeing as how the frame needs work anyway.

Thanks again!
Why can't the Rholoff cable go through a normal cable stop just like other cables?

FYI, all normal cable stops are 5mm. You use ferrules to step up from 4mm housing to the 5mm stop.
Old 06-12-18, 04:03 PM
ronfinch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
We might have been talking at slightly crossed purposes. Here is what I was thinking of as a cable stop, where the housing terminates:

https://www.bikeparts.com/BPC178573/...-various-green

But the rohloff needs the housing to go all the way to the hub, so this cable stop is no use on the downtube as a cable guide for the rohloff cable.

I found this item, which, provided it is the right size, would do the job. However they say it converts an 'open loop' (I assume the correct term for what I was calling a cable guide) into a cable stop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGWIRE-Cable-Guide-Stops-for-5mm-Housing-Converts-Open-Loops-to-a-Frame-Stop/173122966554?epid=1107904944&hash=item284eeed41a:g:IW8AAOxygj5ScptZ

I assume I could use this in a newly installed 5mm open loop/cable guide until I installed the rohloff. If there is any reason why I couldn't I would appreciate anyone letting me know why, thanks!

Last edited by ronfinch; 06-12-18 at 04:36 PM. Reason: teh typo
Old 06-12-18, 07:28 PM
Kontact

Hi,
We might have been talking at slightly crossed purposes. Here is what I was thinking of as a cable stop, where the housing terminates:

https://www.bikeparts.com/BPC178573/...-various-green

But the rohloff needs the housing to go all the way to the hub, so this cable stop is no use on the downtube as a cable guide for the rohloff cable.

I found this item, which, provided it is the right size, would do the job. However they say it converts an 'open loop' (I assume the correct term for what I was calling a cable guide) into a cable stop:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGWIRE-C...8AAOxygj5ScptZ

I assume I could use this in a newly installed 5mm open loop/cable guide until I installed the rohloff. If there is any reason why I couldn't I would appreciate anyone letting me know why, thanks!
No, we're talking about the same stuff, but the problem is that the diameters of the various things we're discussing aren't going to work together.

Cable guides and cable stops are 5.8mm inside diameter, which is the correct width for brake cable housing with or without thin ferules or 4mm derailleur cable with thick plastic or metal ferrules. Once you put on the proper ferrules 5mm brake housing and 4mm shift housing fit into the same cable stops.

Those ebay Jagwire cable stops have an outside diameter of 7.3mm - they won't fit in a normal cable guide because it is 2.5mm too wide. If you want to used something like that with a cable guide, it needs to be 4mm ID and 5.5mm OD. Maybe someone makes those diameters.

This product is designed to turn a cable stop into an adjoining cable guide:
https://jagwire.com/products/small-parts/housing-guides

What I asked you is why a Rohloff hub can't use a bare cable that comes out of a cable stop just like any other gear shifting system. If it can, just put on a cable stop and run the wire like you would to a derailleur.
Old 06-13-18, 01:17 AM
ronfinch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't actually know if/why rohloffs never use bare wires. Their faqs don't mention it, but judging by how rohloff seem to be I suspect there are either specific engineering reasons for it, or having anything other than a system completely closed to dust etc invalidates the warranty. Maybe the hub relies on very smooth shifting and plenty of mountain bikers use rohloffs in very muddy environments?

Thanks for the detailed information re cable guide/stops, and the link to the cable stop > cable guide converter. I know where I am now: I was asking for a gear cable ferrule with a lip, so that the cable could sit and be held in place/stopped in a standard cable guide. The link you provided will do the job equally well, if about 1% less neat. Cheers!

Edit - looking further on the jagwire site, the top of these two looks like it should do the job, but I will check with them directly. https://jagwire.com/products/small-parts/cable-stops

Last edited by ronfinch; 06-13-18 at 01:20 AM. Reason: link
Old 06-13-18, 01:48 AM
Kontact

I don't actually know if/why rohloffs never use bare wires. Their faqs don't mention it, but judging by how rohloff seem to be I suspect there are either specific engineering reasons for it, or having anything other than a system completely closed to dust etc invalidates the warranty. Maybe the hub relies on very smooth shifting and plenty of mountain bikers use rohloffs in very muddy environments?

Thanks for the detailed information re cable guide/stops, and the link to the cable stop > cable guide converter. I know where I am now: I was asking for a gear cable ferrule with a lip, so that the cable could sit and be held in place/stopped in a standard cable guide. The link you provided will do the job equally well, if about 1% less neat. Cheers!

Edit - looking further on the jagwire site, the top of these two looks like it should do the job, but I will check with them directly. https://jagwire.com/products/small-parts/cable-stops
You could also just take an aluminum barrel adjuster and file one side flat so it can sit again the frame, then insert the threaded portion into the cable guide. Adjuster like that are common, cheap and easy to modify, or even bend to get it to fit close to the frame.

Just the top piece:
Old 06-13-18, 04:35 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 479 Posts
You can run full length housing to your derailleur. I prefer it for all of the frames I build.
Old 06-13-18, 10:59 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by dsaul
You can run full length housing to your derailleur. I prefer it for all of the frames I build.
Great advice.