Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cracking paint on top tube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 03:28 PM
Rpbergie

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10, KHS Flite 200, Rocky Mountain Equipe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've noticed a number of cracks in the paint on the top tube of my 2015 CAAD10 have developed. Is this a problem? (Would post image, but I'm not allowed.) The bike hasn't been crashed and lives a good life under cover. Is is just something to worry about because I've got nothing to worry about? Thanks.
Old 07-12-18, 03:39 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,671 Times in 3,454 Posts
We really need photos. Also, where are you seeing the cracks? near joints, or in the middle of the tube.

It could simply be bad paint + sunlight, or it could be critical frame cracks developing.

Scratches?
Old 08-29-18, 07:50 PM
Rpbergie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgive the slow reply. The cracks aren't near the joints, just along the top tube. I expect it is cosmetic, but would like to keep this bike in good shape.
Old 08-30-18, 09:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
As CK asked for, photos are really needed for us to give opinions that have any chance of being correct the first time around. I think you need a couple more posts to add a photo directly. But directing us to an open photo sharing service should work right now. You might want to also let us know where you are. This helps us direct you to a shop or "expert" in your area as even with photos hands on is the best wat to assess this stuff. Andy
Old 09-02-18, 08:40 PM
Rpbergie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As CK asked for, photos are really needed for us to give opinions that have any chance of being correct the first time around. I think you need a couple more posts to add a photo directly. But directing us to an open photo sharing service should work right now. You might want to also let us know where you are. This helps us direct you to a shop or "expert" in your area as even with photos hands on is the best wat to assess this stuff. Andy
I know, I know. I tried to post something by quoting something, but then the post I was quoting included a link, which meant my post was denied. Then I went on this forum where everybody was giving relationship advice and I really didn't have anything to add and so on, and getting to the 10 post threshold has become quite thing. One step at a time. We will get there.
Old 09-02-18, 08:46 PM
Rpbergie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Et voila!

Old 09-03-18, 12:08 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Liked 128 Times in 105 Posts
Looks like paint damage from here. Crazing i think would be the term.
The cracks don't go anywhere but there maybe something underneath. Put your weight on the tube and see is there is any movement.
To be sure there is nothing wrong you would have to remove the paint in the damaged area and inspect.
If it was mine i would ride it as is and keep an eye on it. But thats me with my experince making the judgment.
And how long have they been there or have they
suddenly appeared?
Has there been any funny or odd handling issues?
Does the bike ride the same as it always has?

Last edited by blamester; 09-03-18 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-03-18, 02:34 PM
bikeme

Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I'd share this issue with Cannondale. Could be a warranty issue. That's not due normal wear and tear to me--really weird.
Old 09-03-18, 04:10 PM
02Giant 

Liked 763 Times in 509 Posts
Is the white area paint, or a decal?
Old 09-04-18, 01:19 PM
ign1te 

Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
That is not wear and tear. Instead it is a bad paint job, probably due to poor surface preparation.
Old 09-04-18, 01:34 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Is that frame Carbon Fiber? I would take a coin a tap the tube and listen if it makes a tink or a thud noise. If it's a thud then you have problems.

Also here in Canada if you leave your bike outside year round you will get paint checking like that due to the extreme temps
Old 09-06-18, 06:37 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
Is that frame Carbon Fiber? I would take a coin a tap the tube and listen if it makes a tink or a thud noise. If it's a thud then you have problems.

Also here in Canada if you leave your bike outside year round you will get paint checking like that due to the extreme temps
CAAD 10 is aluminium.
Old 09-07-18, 02:21 PM
sch

Liked 140 Times in 106 Posts
Aluminum frame => paint crazing, annoying but not fatal by any means. Doubt Cannondale would do much about this.
Paint job likely to slowly deteriorate over several years, then you can decide on strip and repaint.
(Most powder coaters strip as a part of the paint job, around here about $200 for a frame).
Old 09-10-18, 07:50 AM
Rpbergie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bad paint

Originally Posted by sch
Aluminum frame => paint crazing, annoying but not fatal by any means. Doubt Cannondale would do much about this.
Paint job likely to slowly deteriorate over several years, then you can decide on strip and repaint.
(Most powder coaters strip as a part of the paint job, around here about $200 for a frame).
Great. Thanks for your take. I can accept "annoying but not fatal." There is nothing in the behaviour of the bike that suggests that it is anything but cosmetic.