Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Great River Ride GRR - How tough?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 09:19 AM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

This is advertised as "extreme" (100M or 200k).
Some ride with gps 's metrics I found make it look pretty hilly, but not extraordinary.
But on my own rides I get way different elevations between Garmin, RWGPS and google maps (and previously Topo), so I have no idea what reality is.
Can anyone enlighten?
As one who has never made his peace with gravity, I'd only do 100k if it's really so vertical.
Old 09-14-18, 08:31 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
I've done the GRR four times. Did the 111 mile ride a couple times, then decided to not punish myself as much the next year and did the 85 mile ride. The fourth year (two years ago) was going to do the 85 mile ride again but the weather stayed bad (was supposed to clear) and was a raw, cold, rainy day. Almost bailed out but ended up doing the 100k. It's a challenging 100k. Not sure the total amount of climbing but, as I recall, there are two long, pretty difficult climbs (that are also in the longer rides). Being in October, the weather can be all over the place. If you start early, not unusual for the temp to be in the low forties and even upper 30's (from my experience on the rides I did) so be prepared for that! It's a beautiful ride (with a great baked potato rest stop!). If you get in some climbing before the ride to build up your endurance, I recommend it!!
Old 09-20-18, 05:29 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
thx!!
Old 09-24-18, 01:36 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Done the 170k version many times, coming up from the DC area every year to ride - I guess you can say I like it. It's challenging, for sure. The climbing is somewhat backloaded, so the second half rides harder than the first. And when the weather is cold or rainy, it's tough. But it's scenic and really well run, totally worth your while (the hot baked potatoes at mile 69 are great on a cold day).

My best tips: start early and pace yourself, as the early climbs can drain if you attack them too hard; use good climbing gears (I go with a 12-27 cassette and a compact crank setup); fuel well before and during the ride; and be sure to enjoy the view every so often.